Department of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
- PhD., Philosophy, Purdue University, 2003
- Visiting PhD. Student and Research Assistant, The University of British Columbia
- The Animal Welfare Program, 2002-2003
- The Centre for Applied Ethics, 2001-2002
- M.A., Philosophy, Purdue University, 1998
- B.A., Psychology, and Philosophy, Magna Cum Laude, Millikin University, 1994
BiographyMy research interests fall under the areas of environmental, food, animal and agricultural ethics, and ethical theory. Currently, I am pursuing research in global food security and climate ethics. I also specialize in Philosophy of Technology, in particular issues dealing with social justice, participatory democracy, future generations and responsible citizenship.
Teaching ResponsibilitiesPlease see my Digication ePortfolio Courses page.
Professional & Department Service
Sample Service to the Professions
- 2018-Present International Library of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Ethics (LEAF) Series, Springer: The Netherlands (Associate Editor)
- 2009-Present American Veterinary Medical Association (Ethics Advisor), Animal Welfare Committee and Panels on Euthanasia, Humane Slaughter and Depopulation
- 2015-Present Food Ethics (Editorial Board)
- 2010-Present Universidade Estadual de Londrina (UEL), Grupo Bem-Estar Animal e Sustentabilidade da UEL, Londrina, Brazil
- 2011-Present Center for Food Integrity, Animal Care Panel
- 2010-2014 Alaska Food Policy Council
Sample Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- De Paula Vieira, A., and Anthony, R. 2020. “Recalibrating Veterinary Medicine through Animal Welfare Science and Ethics for the 2020s.” Animals (Special Issue on Veterinary Ethics) 10, 654; DOI:10.3390/ani10040654.
- Mullins, C.R., Paris-Garcia, M.D., George, K., Anthony, R., Johnson, A.K., Coleman, G., and Rault., J-L. 2018. "The Development of an Interactive Computer-based Training Program for Timely On-farm Pig Euthanasia." Journal of Veterinary Medical Education 45 (3): 405-412. DOI: 10.3138/jvme.1216-191r.
- Miller, D.S., Anthony, R., Golab, G. 2018. Assessing Aquatic Mammal Welfare While Assessing Differing Values and Imperfect Tradeoffs. Aquatic Mammals 44(2): 116-141. doi 10.1578/AM.184.108.40.2068.116.
- Mullins, CR, Pairis-Garcia, MD, George, KA, Anthony, R, Johnson, AK, Coleman, GJ, Rault, J-L, and Millman, ST. 2017. Determination of swine euthanasia criteria and analysis of barriers to euthanasia in the United States using expert opinion. Animal Welfare 26: 449-459; doi: 10.7120/096272220.127.116.119.
- Patterson-Kane, E., Knesl, O., Hart, B., Fine, A., Cooper, L., Houlihan, K.E., Anthony, R. 2017. Veterinarians and Humane Endings: When is it the Right Time to Euthanize a Companion Animal? Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 4:45, https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2017.00045.
- O’Connor, A., Anthony, R., Bergamasco, L., Coetzee, JF., Dzikamunhenga, RS., Johnson, AK., Karriker, LA., Marchant-Forde, JN., Martineau, GP., Millman, ST., Pajor, EA., Rutherford, K., Sprague, M., Sutherland, MA., von Borell, E., and Webb, SR. 2015. Review: An Assessment of Completeness of Reporting in Studies Evaluating Pain Management in the Neonatal Piglet during Routine Management Procedure. Animal: The International Journal of Animal Biosciences. 1-11, doi:10.1017/S1751731115002323.
- Anthony, R. 2015. Climate Ethics: Theatre of the Oppressed Meets Ethics Roundtables. Revista Española de Desarrollo y Cooperación (REDC) (Spanish Journal of Development and Cooperation. 35: 85-102.
- Anthony, R. 2014. Atmospheric Commons as a Public Trust Resource: The Common Heritage of Mankind Principle in Dialogue with Duties of Citizenship. Ethics, Policy and Environment. 17:1, 43-48.
- Anthony, R. 2013. Animistic Pragmatism and Native Ways of Knowing: Adaptive Strategies for Overcoming the Struggle for Food in the Sub-Arctic. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 72: Supplement 1: 21224 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v72i0.21224
- Anthony, R. 2012. "Taming the Unruly Side of Ethics: Overcoming Challenges of a Bottom-Up Approach to Ethics in the Areas of Climate Change and Food Security." Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 25 (6): 813-841.
Sample Refereed Book Chapters
- Anthony, R. 2018. “Food Ethics as More than Food Security: Asia’s Critical Role in Discourses around Animal Welfare and Climate Change.” In Agricultural Ethics in East Asian Perspective, edited by K. Thompson and PB. Thompson. Springer: The Netherlands.
- Anthony, R. 2017. “Sustainable Animal Agriculture and Environmental Virtue Ethics," in David M. Kaplan (ed.) Philosophy, Technology and the Environment, (The MIT Press: Cambridge, MA and London, England), 213-228.
- Underwood, W., McGlone, J., Swanson, J., Anderson, K., and Anthony, R. 2014. “Agricultural Animal Welfare," in K. Bayne and P Turner (eds.) Laboratory Animal Welfare: American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine Series (Elsevier), 233-278.
- Anthony, R., Hoanca, B., and Mock, K. 2012. "Biometric Authentication in the DigitalAge: Rights, Risks and Responsibilities," in Ch. M Akrivopoulou and N. Garipidis (eds.) Human Rights and Risks in the Digital Era: Globalization and the Effects of Information Technologies (IGI Global Publishing), 125-151.
For more details, please visit my Digication ePortfolio Publications page.