UAA Campus is Open
We are pleased to report the UAA Anchorage campus will open on Wednesday, Dec. 5, following last Friday's earthquake. The Chugiak-Eagle River Campus will remain closed, but classes will resume in alternative locations. Students should check UAOnline for their new meeting location. As you return to campus, we encourage you to check the web page uaa.alaska.edu/earthquakerecovery for important safety tips and resources about how to submit work requests to facilities for repairs. Please continue to check our Facebook and Twitter accounts for updates.
Department of Philosophy
- PhD., Philosophy, Purdue University, 2003
- Visiting PhD. Student and Research Assistant, The University of British Columbia
- The Animal Welfare Program, 2002-2003
- The Centre for Applied Ethics, 2001-2002
- M.A., Philosophy, Purdue University, 1998
- B.A., Psychology, and Philosophy, Magna Cum Laude, Millikin University, 1994
BiographyMy research interests fall under the areas of environmental, food, animal and agricultural ethics, and ethical theory. Currently, I am pursuing research in global food security and climate ethics. I also specialize in Philosophy of Technology, in particular issues dealing with social justice, participatory democracy, future generations and responsible citizenship.
Teaching ResponsibilitiesPlease see my Digication ePortfolio Courses page.
Professional & Department Service
Sample Service to the Professions
- 2009-Present American Veterinary Medical Association (Ethics Advisor), Animal Welfare Committee and Panels on Euthanasia, Humane Slaughter and Depopulation
- 2015-Present Food Ethics (Editorial Board)
- 2015 National Science Foundation (NSF), Science, Technology, and Society (STS) Program, Expert Reviewer
- 2014 Pork Foresight Expert Panel, National Pork Board, USA
- 2010-Present Universidade Estadual de Londrina (UEL), Grupo Bem-Estar Animal e Sustentabilidade da UEL, Londrina, Brazil
- 2011-Present Center for Food Integrity, Animal Care Panel
- 2010-2014 Alaska Food Policy Council
Sample Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Miller, D.S., Anthony, R., Golab, G. 2018. Assessing Aquatic Mammal Welfare While Assessing Differing Values and Imperfect Tradeoffs. Aquatic Mammals 44(2): 116-141. doi 10.1578/AM.184.108.40.2068.116.
- Mullins, CR, Pairis-Garcia, MD, George, KA, Anthony, R, Johnson, AK, Coleman, GJ, Rault, J-L, and Millman, ST. 2017. Determination of swine euthanasia criteria and analysis of barriers to euthanasia in the United States using expert opinion. Animal Welfare 26: 449-459; doi: 10.7120/096272220.127.116.119.
- Patterson-Kane, E., Knesl, O., Hart, B., Fine, A., Cooper, L., Houlihan, K.E., Anthony, R. 2017. Veterinarians and Humane Endings: When is it the Right Time to Euthanize a Companion Animal? Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 4:45, https://doi.org/10.3389/fvets.2017.00045.
- O’Connor, A., Anthony, R., Bergamasco, L., Coetzee, JF., Dzikamunhenga, RS., Johnson, AK., Karriker, LA., Marchant-Forde, JN., Martineau, GP., Millman, ST., Pajor, EA., Rutherford, K., Sprague, M., Sutherland, MA., von Borell, E., and Webb, SR. 2015. Review: An Assessment of Completeness of Reporting in Studies Evaluating Pain Management in the Neonatal Piglet during Routine Management Procedure. Animal: The International Journal of Animal Biosciences. 1-11, doi:10.1017/S1751731115002323.
- Anthony, R. 2015. Climate Ethics: Theatre of the Oppressed Meets Ethics Roundtables. Revista Española de Desarrollo y Cooperación (REDC) (Spanish Journal of Development and Cooperation. 35: 85-102.
- Anthony, R. 2014. Atmospheric Commons as a Public Trust Resource: The Common Heritage of Mankind Principle in Dialogue with Duties of Citizenship. Ethics, Policy and Environment. 17:1, 43-48.
- Anthony, R. 2013. Animistic Pragmatism and Native Ways of Knowing: Adaptive Strategies for Overcoming the Struggle for Food in the Sub-Arctic. International Journal of Circumpolar Health 72: Supplement 1: 21224 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/ijch.v72i0.21224
- Anthony, R. 2012. "Taming the Unruly Side of Ethics: Overcoming Challenges of a Bottom-Up Approach to Ethics in the Areas of Climate Change and Food Security." Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics, 25 (6): 813-841.
Sample Refereed Book Chapters
- Anthony, R. 2017. “Sustainable Animal Agriculture and Environmental Virtue Ethics," in David M. Kaplan (ed.) Philosophy, Technology and the Environment, (The MIT Press: Cambridge, MA and London, England), 213-228.
- “Food Ethics as More than Food Security: Asia’s Critical Role in Discourses around Animal Welfare and Climate Change”, in Thompson, K and Thompson, PB (eds.)Agricultural Ethics in East Asian Perspective (Springer: The Netherlands) (Forthcoming).
- Underwood, W., McGlone, J., Swanson, J., Anderson, K., and Anthony, R. 2014. “Agricultural Animal Welfare," in K. Bayne and P Turner (eds.) Laboratory Animal Welfare: American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine Series (Elsevier), 233-278.
- Anthony, R., Hoanca, B., and Mock, K. 2012. "Biometric Authentication in the DigitalAge: Rights, Risks and Responsibilities," in Ch. M Akrivopoulou and N. Garipidis (eds.) Human Rights and Risks in the Digital Era: Globalization and the Effects of Information Technologies (IGI Global Publishing), 125-151.
For more details, please visit my Digication ePortfolio Publications page.