Aviation maintenance technology undergraduate certificate
Explore the aviation maintenance technology undergraduate certificate programs at the University of Alaska AnchorageUAA offers two undergraduate certificates in aviation maintenance technology: airframe and powerplant. The FAA-approved certificate programs prepare you to achieve FAA certification as an aircraft mechanic with airframe and/or powerplant ratings. When you complete the undergraduate certificate program, you will be ready to take FAA-administered tests to achieve your Aircraft Mechanic Certificate by the FAA.
Aviation maintenance technology scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. UAA offers a variety of scholarships and other types of financial assistance you may qualify for when you pursue a certificate in aviation maintenance technology. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
UAA’s aviation technology maintenance fleet includes a Boeing 727 aircraft.
What can you do with an aviation maintenance technology certificate from UAA?
UAA aviation maintenance technology alumni work for commercial aircraft operators
throughout Alaska and the United States, the FAA, maintenance providers in Europe
and Asia as well as in the oil and gas industry. Many students are recruited even
before completing school.
Aviation maintenance technology careers
- VP of Aircraft Maintenance
- VP of Quality Assurance
- Director of Maintenance
- Maintenance Supervisors
- FAA Inspectors and Program Managers
- Research Technicians
By the numbers..
Aviation maintenance technology undergraduate certificate program highlights
The FAA-approved undergraduate certificate program provides a holistic understanding of aviation maintenance and teaches maintenance as a process – something you won’t find in many other programs. Coursework also integrates a variety of scenario-based classes and projects that promote critical thinking and replicate experiences from the field. The following are some of the top reasons to earn your undergraduate certificate in aviation maintenance technology at UAA.
- Gain extensive hands-on aviation maintenance technician experience. Internships and work-study projects give you opportunities to experience real-world work environments and see how coursework relates to your career.
- Learn using state-of-the-art aviation equipment and technology. UAA’s program uses a fleet of aircraft – from small single engine planes to a Boeing 727 – to provide practical aviation experience and instruction. All labs for maintenance skill development contain specialized equipment relevant to the field. The program also presents regulatory and recordkeeping requirements in a way that is highly valued by employers.
- Work closely with top aviation technicians. All UAA aviation maintenance technology faculty have professional technician experience. One instructor works with the FAA to author regulatory changes affecting all aviation maintenance technician schools nationwide, while another has participated in numerous summer fellowships conducting and supporting aeronautical research with NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center.
- Engage with campus clubs and organizations. Stay on top of industry innovations and make new professional contacts in the Aviation Maintenance Technology Club. Each semester, UAA also hosts an industry day that gives you the chance to meet with potential employers and learn more about your desired career field.
- Pursue advanced degrees in aviation maintenance technology and aviation. UAA’s coursework offers seamless integration from the undergraduate certificate to a bachelor’s degree in aviation technology.
Amazing stories from aviation maintenance technology majors
I heard nothing but good things about Alaska so I took a risk and enrolled at UAA. After my third semester of school I began working as a mechanics helper with Pegasus Aviation Services, where I serviced large transport category aircraft and performed light maintenance, such as wheel changes. I am confident at this point I will succeed because I have been prepared with the skills and tools necessary for the tasks ahead thanks to instructors that actually care.
Aviation maintenance technology undergraduate certificate program curriculumThe certificate in aviation maintenance provides an FAA-approved curriculum designed to prepare alumni for employment as maintenance technicians in general aviation, corporate aviation, airlines or aerospace manufacturers. In addition to traditional aircraft maintenance courses, the undergraduate certificate curriculum emphasizes modern aircraft systems including electronics, composite structures, automatic controls and turbine engines.
Top classes for aviation maintenance technology majors
- Aircraft Non-Destructive Inspection Methods
- Aircraft Fuel Systems Lab
- Aircraft Electrical Hardware and Systems
- Aircraft Electronic Systems Lab