Diesel Power Technology A.A.S.
Explore the Diesel Power Technology Associate Degree program at UAA
The Associate Degree program prepares students to be successful diesel mechanics and
technicians in the medium- and heavy-duty truck and equipment industry. The program
includes extensive hands-on professional experiences, ASE certification training and
one-on-one mentorship with expert faculty.
Industry training and certifications
Partnering with some of the world’s leading automotive and diesel/alternative fuel engine manufacturers – including Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar, Navistar, Peterbilt, and Kenworth. The Diesel Power Technology program provides up-to-date industry training as well as opportunities to network with dealership technicians and managers. UAA also provides training for ASE certifications and waives examinations for students who successfully pass specific certifications related to UAA Diesel Power Technology courses.
Diesel Power Technology Scholarships and Financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. In addition to scholarships and other types of financial assistance available through the university, the Community and Technical College also offers tuition waiver awards that you can apply for each semester. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
UAA’s Community and Technical College was named one of the 20 best automotive mechanic schools in the United States by thebestschools.org.
What can you do with the Diesel Power Technology degree from UAA?
UAA’s Diesel Power Technology Associate Degree program will prepare you for employment
opportunities that span the globe. Many UAA students are also ASE certified before
graduation and hold several manufacturer-specific certifications.
Diesel power technology careers
Many alumni find jobs in manufacturer and independent repair and maintenance shops, fleets, construction, mining, aviation ground support and the seafood processing industry. Recent employers of UAA Diesel Power Technology graduates include:
- United Parcel Service
- NC Machinery
- Cummins Northwest
- Kenworth Alaska
- Alaska Department of Transportation
- Ted Stevens International Airport
- Yukon Equipment
By the numbers..
Diesel Power Technology Associate Degree program highlights
UAA’s associate degree in diesel power technology is the only technical diesel training program in Alaska that is accredited by the ASE Education Foundation. The program boasts a 100 percent job placement rate for alumni, due in large part to the on-the-job work experience and ASE certification training provided throughout the program.
- Gain hands-on industry experience. Projects in the mining, oil and gas, construction, transportation and maritime industries range from servicing power generation systems and heavy equipment to trucking and transportation maintenance.
- Prepare for ASE certification. UAA’s diesel power technology courses are modeled after corporate training programs and are based on ASE certification standards. These courses offer valuable preparation through up-to-date industry training.
- Learn in small classes taught by expert faculty. All of our instructors are Master ASE Certified and have numerous years of experience working in the diesel power technology industry. They each have specific training and certifications from a wide variety of manufacturers, as well as close connections with business and industry personnel across the state.
- Access state-of-the-art facilities. These include new training modules equipped with the latest in computerized engine control and clean diesel (emission control) technology. You’ll also have access to the latest diagnostic equipment for communicating with a wide variety of manufactures.
- UAA Auto-Diesel programs partners with local high schools to share knowledge and experience to different levels of education.
- Participate in the UAA Auto-Diesel SkillsUSA club. SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry professionals working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce.
Amazing story from a Diesel Power Technology student
UAA’s Diesel Power Technology program is great for getting people into this industry. I really benefited from the electrical courses and HVAC, even though I had been a mechanic for almost 8 years when I started the program. I loved the hydraulics course, and learning about drivetrain and steering and suspension (setting up the diffs, driveline angles, learning heavy truck alignment the old school way). A great side benefit was that I ended up with most of my ASE's for becoming Master Certified, which I now have. Not to mention the involvement in SkillsUSA, which was an opportunity and experience that will stick with me the rest of my life.
Diesel Power Technology Associate Degree program curriculum
The Associate Degree in Diesel Power Technology prepares you to understand the following:
- Diesel Engines
- Medium-and Heavy-Duty drive trains
- Pneumatic and hydraulic brake systems
- Suspension steering
- Electrical/Electronic systems
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Medium-and-Heavy Duty vehicle applications
- Mobile hydraulic systems
- Diagnosis and repairs
Advanced classes for Diesel Power Technology majors
- Mobile Hydraulic Systems- Gain hands-on experience diagnosing, servicing and repairing hydraulic systems for medium- and heavy duty equipment.
- Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Performance- dealer specific training on electronic emissions and fuel/air management
- Practicum l- Gain supervised workplace experience and on-the-job training in an industry based on your interests and career objectives.