Diesel power technology undergraduate certificate
Explore the diesel power technology undergraduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The undergraduate certificate in diesel power technology prepares you to be a successful
diesel technician in the medium- and heavy-duty truck and equipment service industry.
UAA’s program is the only ASE Education Foundation-accredited technical diesel training
program currently offered in Alaska and has a 100 percent job placement rate for alumni.
On-the-job training and certifications
UAA partners with some of the world’s leading diesel and alternative fuel engine manufacturers – including GM, Chrysler and Cummins, Inc. These partnerships offer diesel power technology majors unique opportunities to receive the latest industry training as well as network with dealership technicians and managers. The certificate program also includes ASE certification training, offering students the chance to graduate with Master ASE certification status.
Diesel power technology scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. UAA offers a variety of scholarships and other types of financial assistance you may qualify for when you pursue a graduate certificate in diesel power technology. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
UAA’s Community and Technical College was named one of the 20 best automotive mechanic schools in the United States by thebestschools.org.
What can you do with a diesel power technology degree from UAA?
UAA’s diesel power technology undergraduate certificate program will prepare you for
diesel mechanic and diesel technician careers in Alaska and around the world. Due
to extensive industry training and field experiences built into the program, many
students are ASE certified by graduation and hold other manufacturer-specific certifications.
Diesel power technology careers
Many alumni find jobs in manufacturer and independent repair and maintenance shops, fleets, construction, mining, aviation ground support and the seafood processing industry. Recent employers of UAA diesel power technology graduates include:
- United Parcel Service
- NC Machinery
- Cummins Northwest
- Kenworth Alaska
- Alaska Department of Transportation
- Ted Stevens International Airport
- Yukon Equipment
By the numbers..
Diesel power technology undergraduate certificate program highlights
Set yourself apart in the job market with a program that gives you the hands-on experience and industry training you need for successful diesel mechanic and diesel technician careers.
- Gain valuable on-the-job experience. Projects range from transportation maintenance to servicing power generation systems and heavy equipment in industries such as construction, mining, oil and gas, aviation ground support and seafood processing.
- Prepare for ASE certification with the latest industry training. Courses are modeled after corporate training programs and are based on ASE certification standards. UAA’s diesel power technology program is also the only diesel training program offered in Alaska that is accredited by NATEF.
- Receive one-on-one instruction from expert faculty. UAA instructors are Master ASE Certified technicians with many years of industry experience. Classes are small, offering close mentorship and opportunities for one-on-one instruction.
- Work in state-of-the-art facilities. Diesel power technology majors have access to new training modules equipped with the latest in computerized engine control and clean diesel (emission control) technology. You’ll have access to the latest diagnostic equipment for communicating with a wide variety of manufactures, and as part of the required welding courses, you’ll also have access to UAA’s state-of-the-art welding laboratory.
- Participate in the UAA Auto-Diesel SkillsUSA club. SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry professionals working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce.
Amazing stories from diesel power technology majors
UAA’s diesel power technology program gave me opportunities to get hands-on experience and learn why and how all the systems work. While enrolled with the program I was provided with an opportunity to participate in a summer internship working on the slope for Schlumberger. This has since led to full-time employment within this company doing exactly what I went to school for. The instructors at UAA are always available to answer questions and assist students. I enjoyed my time as a student within the program.
Diesel power technology undergraduate certificate program curriculumThe undergraduate certificate program curriculum covers diesel engines, medium- and heavy-duty drive trains, pneumatic and hydraulic brake systems, suspension steering, electrical/electronic systems and heating and air conditioning systems on medium- and heavy-duty vehicle applications. Laboratory experiences are performed on equipment and components currently used in the heavy-duty transportation, construction and power generation industries.
Top classes for diesel power technology majors
- Heavy Duty Engine Performance: Learn engine performance and computer systems diagnosis and repair on medium- and heavy duty diesel engines.
- Automotive Practicum: Gain supervised workplace experience and on-the-job training in an industry based on your interests and career objectives.