Diesel Power Technology Undergraduate Certificate
Explore the Diesel Power Technology Undergraduate Certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The Undergraduate Certificate program prepares students to be successful diesel mechanics
and technicians in the medium- and heavy-duty truck and equipment industry. The program
includes extensive hands-on professional experiences, ASE certification training and
one-on-one mentorship with expert faculty.
Industry training and certifications
Partnering with some of the world’s leading automotive and diesel/alternative fuel engine manufacturers – including Cummins, Detroit, Caterpillar, Navistar, Peterbilt, and Kenworth. The Diesel Power Technology program provides up-to-date industry training as well as opportunities to network with dealership technicians and managers. UAA also provides training for ASE certifications and waives examinations for students who successfully pass specific certifications related to UAA Diesel Power Technology courses.
Diesel Power Technology Scholarships and Financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. In addition to scholarships and other types of financial assistance available through the university, the Community and Technical College also offers tuition waiver awards that you can apply for each semester. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
UAA’s Community and Technical College was named one of the 20 best automotive mechanic schools in the United States by thebestschools.org.
What can you do with a Diesel Power Technology degree from UAA?
UAA’s Undergraduate Certificate program will prepare you for diesel mechanic and diesel
technician careers in Alaska and around the world. Due to extensive industry training
and field experiences built into the program, many students are ASE certified by graduation
and hold other manufacturer-specific certifications.
Diesel power technology careers
Many alumni find jobs in manufacturer and independent repair and maintenance shops, fleets, construction, mining, aviation ground support and the seafood processing industry. Recent employers of UAA Diesel Power Technology graduates include:
- United Parcel Service
- NC Machinery
- Cummins Northwest
- Kenworth Alaska
- Alaska Department of Transportation
- Ted Stevens International Airport
- Yukon Equipment
By the numbers..
Diesel Power Technology Undergraduate Certificate program highlights
Set yourself apart in the job market with a program that gives you the hands-on experience and industry training you need for successful diesel mechanic and diesel technician careers.
- Gain valuable on-the-job experience. Projects range from transportation maintenance to servicing power generation systems and heavy equipment in industries such as construction, mining, oil and gas, aviation ground support and seafood processing.
- Prepare for ASE certification with the latest industry training. Courses are modeled after corporate training programs and are based on ASE certification standards. UAA’s diesel power technology program is also the only diesel training program offered in Alaska that is accredited by NATEF.
- Receive one-on-one instruction from expert faculty. UAA instructors are Master ASE Certified technicians with many years of industry experience. Classes are small, offering close mentorship and opportunities for one-on-one instruction.
- Work in state-of-the-art facilities. Diesel power technology majors have access to new training modules equipped with the latest in computerized engine control and clean diesel (emission control) technology. You’ll have access to the latest diagnostic equipment for communicating with a wide variety of manufactures, and as part of the required welding courses, you’ll also have access to UAA’s state-of-the-art welding laboratory.
- UAA Auto-Diesel programs partners with local high schools to share knowledge and experience to different levels of education.
- Participate in the UAA Auto-Diesel SkillsUSA club. SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry professionals working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce.
Amazing stories from diesel power technology majors
UAA’s Diesel Power Technology program gave me opportunities to get hands-on experience and learn why and how all the systems work. While enrolled with the program I was provided with an opportunity to participate in a summer internship working on the slope for Schlumberger. This has since led to full-time employment within this company doing exactly what I went to school for. The instructors at UAA are always available to answer questions and assist students. I enjoyed my time as a student within the program.
Diesel Power Technology Undergraduate Certificate program curriculum
The Associate Degree in Diesel Power Technology prepares you to understand the following:
- Diesel Engines
- Medium-and Heavy-Duty drive trains
- Pneumatic and hydraulic brake systems
- Electrical/Electronic systems
- Heating and air conditioning systems
- Medium-and-Heavy Duty vehicle inspections
- Mobile hydraulic systems
- Diagnosis and repairs
Additional course requirements for A.A.S. Diesel Power Technology
- 3 additional diesel courses
(Electrical lll, HD Diesel Engine Performance, HD Suspension & Steering)
- 12 credits General Education Requirements (GER's)
Top classes for Diesel Power Technology majors
- Electrical ll - Students apply electrical theory to diagnosis and repair medium and heavy-duty electrical systems
- Practicum: Gain supervised workplace experience and on-the-job training in an industry based on your interests and career objectives.