Educational leadership graduate certificate
Explore the educational leadership graduate certificate program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
UAA’s graduate certificate in educational leadership program is designed for students
with master's degrees who are seeking advanced professional preparation to become
principals. The program is accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Educator
Preparation (CAEP) and meets the National Educational Leadership Preparation (NELP)
standards for school leader preparation.
What you’ll learn in the educational leadership program
UAA programs encourage aspiring educational leaders to explore leadership as an ongoing and continual process, with field-based experiences that connect theory and application. You’ll examine research in education and culturally responsive leadership practices for Alaska. You’ll also learn how to drive organizational change, engage in a continuous improvement cycle that builds teacher capacity and increases student success, manage school resources effectively and explore legal and political issues that impact public education.
Graduate certificate in educational leadership principal program
In addition to the graduate certificate, UAA also offers a master’s degree in educational leadership. The requirements for each program are the same with the exception that students in the master’s program must take two additional research courses as well as the Leadership in Alaska Culture and Social Justice Issues (EDL A620) course.
Educational leadership scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. UAA offers a variety of scholarships and financial aid opportunities to help you complete your graduate certificate. The School of Education also offers a number of tuition waivers for qualified students each spring. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
For one of the educational leadership field experiences, you’ll have the opportunity to participate on an accreditation team in which you’ll observe 15 classrooms in a two-day period using the accreditation protocol.
What can you do with an educational leadership certificate from UAA?
School employers like to hire UAA alumni because they bring practical experience and
real-world problem-solving skills to the job. UAA’s program is also based on National
Educational Leadership Preparation (NELP) standards, so alumni are prepared to meet
the Professional Standards for Educational Leaders (PSEL).
Educational leadership careers
- Vice principal
Educational leadership graduate certificate program highlights
Gain the skills and hands-on experience to be a successful school principal. The following are some of the top reasons to choose UAA for your graduate certificate in educational leadership:
- Complete a year-long principal internship. UAA’s educational leadership program gives you the opportunity to lead a project within a K-12 public education setting – typically the school where you teach. The internship is supervised by your instructors with at least two faculty site visits.
- Take part in a variety of field-based learning experiences. Field experiences include teacher and staff observations, student discipline process observations, organizational culture audit tools and school governance meetings. Additional opportunities include developing safety plans, reviewing legislative agendas and educational bills, building school improvement plans, developing professional development sessions and helping to develop budgets.
- Study in an online cohort. For the first part of the graduate certificate program, you’ll work through learning modules along with a community of peers. Online courses are conducted through Blackboard and Blackboard Collaborate and use web-based video platforms and social media apps.
- Work closely with experienced faculty. UAA instructors bring many years of educational research and school leadership experience to the program, and are committed to helping students succeed.
- Prepare for careers around the world. The educational leadership program integrates cultural competency skills that you can apply anywhere, and many of our students work in schools around the globe.
- Join professional organizations and take part in regional conferences. The educational leadership program offers membership opportunities with the National Association of Elementary School Principals (NAESP), the National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP), and the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD). You can also participate in the UAA Graduate Student Association and the annual Alaska Principals’ Conferences.
Educational leadership graduate certificate program curriculumThe educational leadership curriculum focuses on best practices in school leadership and provides professional preparation for a Type B Administrative Services Credential from the State of Alaska. The first year includes core theoretical courses with field experiences and the second year consists of an internship. Students are required to complete both the foundation core and the principal core courses for a total of 26 credits.
Top classes for educational leadership students
- Organizational Theory and Change
- Instructional Leadership and Student Learning
- Politics, Law and Ethics in Leadership
- School Resource Allocation and Management