Explore the history bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
UAA’s Bachelor of Arts in history examines the breadth and depth of the human experience
to prepare you for a specific occupation as well as a historical career.
History scholarships and financial aid
Get help paying for college with private and university scholarships and awards. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Historical job skills
In addition to knowledge of historical content, the bachelor’s degree in history at UAA develops valuable skills and abilities. Receive training in analysis, information literacy, effective communication, research and critical thinking. These skills are highly prized by employers and provide a base for success in a wide variety of professional settings and careers.
A dedicated academic advisor will help you stay on track to fulfill degree program requirements and earn a bachelor’s degree. Plus, history faculty provide additional guidance in specific content areas, including Asian, Latin American, U.S. and European history.
History degree pathways
UAA and its regional campuses offer introductory-level history courses. Some online classes for introductory and upper-level coursework are also available. Whether face-to-face or online, history faculty are dedicated to effective, high-impact teaching. The online classes in history add flexibility for earning your degree while balancing other responsibilities.
Honors in History
UAA’s Department of History awards honors to high-achieving history majors who demonstrate excellence in the study and writing of history in their academic work. Learn how you can become eligible in the Course Catalog.
Did you know..
In a speech to the Alaska World Affairs Council, U.S. Ambassador Henry Crumpton, who served as a CIA operative in Afghanistan during the immediate post-9/11 period, said he wanted more servicemen and women with liberal arts — including history — degrees.
What can you do with a history degree from UAA?
Start and advance a career in a historical field or qualify for graduate programs
across the country. History alumni have been accepted into a variety of schools, from
the University of Alaska Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks to Portland
State University, Columbia University and the University of Leicester. Regardless
of the path you choose, UAA’s history B.A. program will prepare you to be competent,
conscientious and effective in your pursuits.
History graduate programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Fine Arts
- Public Affairs
With a history degree, you can use your knowledge and skills in a wide range of professional settings, from museums and schools to state and local representative offices. These are examples of jobs you will be qualified for:
- Foreign Service Officer
History bachelor’s degree program highlights
The University of Alaska Anchorage’s Bachelor of Arts in history elevates you above the competition by providing you with content knowledge, quality instruction and work experience beyond the classroom to help you develop skills of the discipline.
- Choose from a wide range of topics and time periods that interest you. The wide variety of history classes offered at UAA will help you expand your worldview.
- Engage with award-winning faculty. They are recognized for research accomplishments, community engagement and student service. Program faculty at UAA are mentors and scholars who conduct and publish substantial research, which enhances their teaching.
- Conduct, prepare and present undergraduate research. In and out of the classroom, you will develop important research skills, from framing an effective historical question and finding reliable sources to following the historical citation style guide.
- Apply your knowledge and skills to an internship. You can earn internship course credit while working on a faculty research project, preserving historic documents and artifacts, organizing conferences and workshops, volunteering for community activities and more. For example, history majors have served as judges for high school projects at Anchorage School District’s Annual History Day.
- Enhance the value of your history degree. The University of Alaska Anchorage offers unique opportunities and experiences, such as study abroad, service learning and community engagement.
Amazing stories from history majors
My bachelor’s in history from UAA gave me research, writing and critical-thinking skills that I use daily in my career and in pursuit of my master’s degree. The skills I gained, the excellent faculty, the relationships I built and the affordability made this program an excellent choice.
History bachelor’s degree program curriculum
Conforming to American Historical Association guidelines, the University of Alaska
Anchorage’s Bachelor of Arts degree program in history focuses on understanding and
applying cause and effect, significance, continuity and acquired knowledge to the
Coursework addresses concerns with change, complexities of casualty and contingency, and the role of social context and individual motivation.
Top classes for history majors
- Examine a range of comparative topics such as genocide, natural disasters, the city in history, colonialism and anarchy in Themes in World History.
- Review Alaska History, with an emphasis on place as a global crossroads, the enduring contributions of Alaska Natives, and humans’ often contentious relationship to the “outside”.
- Apply the skills you’ve learned to create a major piece of original research in Historiography and Senior Seminar.