Mechanical engineering M.S.
Explore the mechanical engineering master’s degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
The master’s degree program in mechanical engineering gives you the skills to think
outside the box and apply advanced engineering concepts to real-world problems. You’ll
also gain a deeper understanding of the fundamentals of mechanical engineering. UAA’s
graduate program offers an excellent value for working students of all backgrounds
who wish to advance their careers as mechanical engineers. The program also includes
numerous career development and networking opportunities in and around Anchorage,
as well as the chance to interact with and learn from top engineering professionals.
UAA engineering facilities
As a mechanical engineering graduate student at UAA, you’ll get extensive hands-on experience working in state-of-the-art facilities including:
- Fluid Mechanics Laboratory
- Materials Testing Laboratory
- Microscopy Laboratory
- Heat and Mass Transfer Laboratory
- Thermal Systems Design Laboratory
- Rapid Prototyping Laboratory
Mechanical engineering scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education expenses. UAA offers a variety of scholarships and other types of financial assistance for engineering students. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
Past thesis topics for the master’s program in mechanical engineering include “Modeling and Experimental Verification of Seasonal Solar Thermal Energy Sand-Bed Storage” and “An Experimental Study on the Optimal Formation of Consecutive Vortex Rings for Propulsion Systems.”
What can you do with a master’s degree in mechanical engineering from UAA?Earning your master’s degree is a way to advance your career in mechanical engineering and boost your earning potential. It’s an opportunity to learn about the latest emerging technology in engineering, and take a deeper dive into a specific area of interest you may want to pursue in your career. Earning your master’s degree can also help demonstrate to employers that you are ready to take on a leadership role within your organization.
Mechanical engineering careers
UAA graduates work in a variety of industries including aerospace, oil and gas, biotechnology, renewable energy and much more. Top employers include, BP, ConocoPhillips, Siemens and Intel.
By the numbers..
Mechanical engineering master’s degree program highlights
Learn inside and outside the classroom as you prepare to take the next step in your engineering career. These are just a few of the opportunities you can expect when you pursue your graduate degree in mechanical engineering at UAA:
- Learn from top engineering professionals. UAA instructors have published textbooks that are used in top engineering programs all over the country and have patents with student co-inventors. All faculty publish with undergraduate and graduate student co-authors. In addition to teaching and research, instructors also participate in student advising.
- Build your professional network. Anchorage has a high population of technical professionals and a number of very active national professional engineering chapters. Most of these have student chapters on campus that feature strong interaction between professionals and students. Regular events, such as Women in Engineering Night and the annual E-Week festivities held each February, offer additional professional development opportunities. Learn more about UAA College of Engineering student organizations.
- Earn an advanced degree at an exceptional value. With highly competitive tuition rates for both students in Alaska and out of state, UAA’s engineering programs offer highly accessible academic excellence.
Mechanical engineering master’s degree program curriculumUAA offers a thesis and a non-thesis option for the master’s degree in mechanical engineering program. The thesis option is designed for students who wish to pursue research-oriented occupations or a doctoral degree, or for those who want to prepare for advanced professional engineering practice. The non-thesis option is for students who prefer to have additional classroom education and a comprehensive exam/project over graduate research experience.
Top classes for mechanical engineering majors
- Explore innovative approaches for corrosion prevention in Corrosion Processes and Engineering.
- Gain advanced knowledge in topics such as boundary layer theories, aerodynamics of lifting flow over airfoils, wings of finite span and airfoil theory in subsonic, transonic and supersonic flows in Aerodynamics.
- Learn about solar, hydrokinetic, conventional hydroelectric, wind, geothermal and biological energy systems in Renewable Energy Systems Engineering.