Just Take a Class
If you would like to take a class at UAA and are not seeking to complete a degree, you are considered a non-degree-seeking student.
Anyone may take classes at UAA. For those looking to just take a class and are not pursuing a degree, there are no GPA or transcript requirements.
Non-degree-seeking students follow the same enrollment dates and deadlines as other students.
For class start dates, add/drop deadlines and other important information, see the Office of the Registrar Dates and Deadlines.
- Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.
- Grades you receive as a non-degree-seeking student will appear on your official transcript, should you decide to later apply as a degree-seeking student.
- Non-degree-seeking students may audit a class; you must request this by the add/drop deadline.
- Non-degree-seeking students are responsible for their tuition costs and all associated fees, including the mandatory Consolidated Student Fee, which provides access to a variety of services such as recreational use of the fitness facilities in the Seawolf Sports Complex, reduced ticket prices to musicians and comedians, and free office visits at the Student Health and Counseling Center.
High School Students
All other high school students looking to just take a class at UAA should refer to the Office of the Registrar's "Secondary Students Taking Courses" page.
Remember, grades you receive as a non-degree-seeking student will remain on your official transcript, even those you take while in high school. Should you decide to later apply as a degree-seeking student at any college or university, you'll be required to submit your official transcript from UAA.
- UAA waives regular tuition for Alaska residents age 65 or older who register on a space available basis.
- Students utilizing the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver may not register before the first day of instruction of the semester.
- For more information, rules, and how to complete registration and submit the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Form, please see the "Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver" section on the UAA Catalog: Tuition and Fees page.
Complete a "Non-degree-seeking" Application
The online application takes just a few minutes to complete and is free. You will create an UAOnline account that will lead you through a brief application process.
Submit Additional Documentation (if necessary)
High School Students
Must submit the Secondary Student Parent/Guardian Authorization form, which you can find on the Office of the Registrar's Forms page, listed under "Registration."
To waive the cost of tuition, you must submit the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Form after registering.
Enroll in your course(s) and enjoy! If you have any questions or need assistance, contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com or 907-786-1480, option 5.