Tax Info (1098-T)

The Form 1098-T is a Tuition Payment Statement, which includes information that colleges and universities are required to issue so that students may determine their eligibility for education tax credits. 

Important Note: 1098-T statements are for informational purposes only and in no way suggest that you are eligible for a tax credit. Please speak with a tax professional or consult the IRS website for more information about whether you qualify for a tax credit.

The IRS 1098-T Tuition Statement, reports payments made toward qualified tuition and related expenses to an eligible educational institution. Education tax credits may be available to you if your are paying education costs for yourself or a student who is a member of your immediate family. Form 1098-T enables you to determine if you qualify for one or more of these education tax credits. Additional instructions are available on the IRS Website

How to print your 1098-T

  1. Go to UAOnline
  2. Login to the secured area (This can only be done by the student receiving the 1098-T)
  3. Select Student Services & Account Information
  4. Select Student Account
  5. Select Tax Notification
  6. Enter Tax Year and submit

Please note: The 1098-T is based on a single calendar year, Jan. 1- Dec. 31 of any year and NOT the academic or aid year.

  • What is reported on the Form 1098-T?

    The 1098-T form is a Tuition Payment Statement that includes information that colleges and universities are required to issue so that students may determine their eligibility for education tax credits.

    Prior to 2018, the 1098-T included a figure in Box 2 that represented the Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE - tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution) that were billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change to institutional reporting requirements under federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, we must report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the calendar (tax) year. 

    Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9.) 

    The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.

    The University of Alaska Anchorage is unable to provide you with individual tax advice; if you have questions, you should seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or professional.

  • Am I eligible to receive a Form 1098-T?

    You are eligible to receive a 1098-T if you incurred qualified charges during the past calendar year that were not reported on the previous year's 1098-T statement.

  • When will I receive my Form 1098-T?

    By Federal law, all forms must be postmarked by January 31st of each year. You may also access your 1098-T electronically through UAOnline:

    1. Log in with your UA credentials
    2. Select Student Services and Account Information
    3. Select Student Account

    From the Student Account page, you may select the tax year, sign up for electronic delivery of your 1098-T, and view or print your 1098-T.

  • What should I do if I need more information?

    If you need additional information regarding what is reported on the 1098-T, please review the information available on the IRS websiteThe University of Alaska Anchorage is unable to provide you with individual tax advice; if you have questions, you should seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or professional.

All international students and scholars in J-1, F-1 status and their dependents who receive income in the U.S. during the previous year are required to file with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The tax filing deadline is April 15th each year. If you are unable to file your tax return on time, you may submit an Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return to the IRS.

Please Note: UAA and its affiliate offices are not tax professionals, we cannot provide you any tax advice or help you complete your tax return. It is your responsibility to understand and meet U.S. tax obligations.

Filing Forms

  • All international students and scholars without U.S. earned income must file IRS Form 8843 with the IRS by June 15th each year.
  • All International students and scholars with U.S. earned income must file IRS Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and IRS Form 8843 with the IRS by April 15th each year.
  • Information about IRS Form I-20 and I-94 is available on the Glacier PowerPoint.

Classification of Taxation

U.S. tax laws are complex and confusing. For U.S. tax purposes, classification of an alien has been divided into to major groups: resident and non-resident aliens.

Non-resident Alien:
Resident Alien:

Generally, all F-1 and J-1 students and their dependents are considered non-residents (NR) for tax purposes their first five years in the U.S. J Scholars and Professors are typically considered NR for tax purposes their first two years in the U.S.

Scholarship and Fellowship

A scholarship is a payment made to students to support their continuing education. A fellowship is a payment made to an individual for their pursuit of research. A non-resident alien may be taxed on such awards, dependent upon criteria established by the IRS. Your scholarship or fellowship may be taxable if:

  • Expenses are not qualified such as room, board, travel, research or clerical help
  • Expenses are not required for enrollment or attendance

Your scholarship or fellowship may not be taxable if:

  • The recipient pursues a degree at an eligible educational institution
  • The scholarship or fellowship is used to pay for qualified tuition and related expenses.
    These expenses include tuition and fees required to 1) enroll or attend an eligible educational institution and 2) fees, books, supplies and equipment that are required for the courses.

Scholarship or fellowship received by a non-resident alien for activities performed outside of the U.S. are not taxable in the U.S.






Eugene Short Hall, Suites 102 & 204
2601 Providence Drive
Anchorage, AK 99508 

Mailing Address

UAA Office of the Bursar
PO Box 141609
Anchorage, AK 99514

Call Center & Service Window Hours

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9am-5pm
Wednesday 1pm-5pm