On Dec. 11, our Facilities and Campus Services team was made aware of a pothole that shut down the westbound lanes of Northern Lights Boulevard between UAA Drive and Career Center Drive. It has since been upgraded to a sinkhole, and the lanes will remain closed for an undetermined amount of time while crews repair the damage. We anticipate the closure will extend through the week.
Finals week is a very stressful time for students. Students, please know that your professors have been made aware of the situation. Please communicate with them any delays you may experience due to this issue. We know this is an unexpected traffic challenge. Please take a deep breath. We want you to have a smooth and safe finals week.
Geomatics is a science-based, engineering discipline that includes:
• Land surveying using global positioning systems and conventional techniques
• Automated mapping
• Computational analysis and adjustment
• Geodesy and Map Projections - http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/geodesy/welcome.html
• Principles of boundary law
• Geographic Information Systems (GIS) - http://www.gis.com/content/what-gi
• Digital photogrammetry - http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-digital-photogrammetry.htm
• Remote sensing and image analysis - http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/%28Gh%29/guides/rs/home.rxml
• Hydrography - http://www.redensigngroup.org/mcga07-home/shipsandcargoes/mcga-shipsregsandguidance/mcga-dqs-hmp-hydrography.htm
The wide diversity in the profession creates a similar diversity of employment opportunities.
A graduate in Geomatics can find employment as a surveyor, analyst or business owner
in environmental sciences and in the transportation or forensics industry to name
a few. For further exploration of job possibilities, please follow the links below.
http://surveyingcareer.com/careers/career_index.html also, for occupational descriptions see
What is happening in Geomatics throughout the World:
- 12 Job Certifications and Licenses you will need to be Green
- Geomatics: Who Needs it? Cultural Survival
- Application of Geomatics in Humanitarian Emergencies
- Injury prevention
UAA Geomatics Company Affiliations:
- Accupoint Inc.
- AeroMetric Alaska Region, Inc.
- Alaska Arc User group - AAUG
- Alaska Society of Professional Land Surveyors - ASPLS
- American Congress Surveying and Mapping - ACSM
- American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing - ASPRS
- Geographic Resource Solutions
- Professional Surveyor Magazine
- Urban and Regional Information System Association - URISA
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics about Surveying