Service Fee FAQ's

1. Can I make payments on my student's account by credit/debit card?

·Yes. Credit/debit card payments are accepted exclusively online via the UAOnline portal or TMS Student Account Center and include a non-refundable service fee—2.75% of the payment amount ($3 minimum fee).

·Computers are available at UAA Cashiering for online bill payment at 3901 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99503.

2. What credit/debit cards can I use to pay student account charges?

·We accept MasterCard, Discover, Visa and American Express cards. Other cards accepted include Diners Club, JCB, and China Union. Reminder: credit/debit card payments are only accepted online via UAOnline or the TMS Student Account Center and include a non-refundable service fee—2.75% of the payment amount ($3 minimum fee).

3. Why can credit/debit card payments for student account charges only be accepted online?

·In order to protect customer card holder data, UAA has switched to a secure third-party payment service provider, PayPath, that specializes in accepting card payments for higher education. PayPath is an online portal and therefore UAA no longer has the ability to accept credit/debit card payments in person, by mail, or over the phone.

·Computers are available at UAA Cashiering for online bill payment at 3901 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK 99503.

·UAA will continue to process check and cash transactions or ACH (electronic checks) without a service fee. *For FREE* Here is a How-To document to find your Routing and Account information. 

4. Is there a fee for using a credit or debit card for student account payments?

·Beginning June 1, 2016, card users will be assessed a separate, non-refundable service fee—2.75% of the payment amount ($3 minimum fee)—at the time of each credit/debit card payment for student account.

·The non-refundable service fee will be assessed by PayPath and will appear as a separate charge on your credit/debit card statement.

5. Why is a service fee added for credit/debit card payments?

·Due to increasing operational challenges and the increasing costs to process credit/debit cards, the University of Alaska has contracted with a third-party company, TouchNet PayPath, to process the credit/debit card payments. This will enable the university to continue to provide students with a convenient credit/debit card payment option.

·The service fee charged by PayPath covers the cost of processing credit/debit card payments. Please note: UAA will not receive any part of the service fee.

6. Why can't I see the service fee charge on my student account?

·The service fee is assessed by PayPath, not UAA, so it will not appear on your student account. The service fee will appear as a separate charge on your credit/debit card statement.

7. Is the service fee refundable?

·The 2.75% service fee is non-refundable. Any service fee disputes must be taken directly to your credit/debit card company.

8. How can I pay my student account and avoid the service fee?

·Web Check (ACH) payments from checking and savings accounts will continue to be accepted online by UAA via the ACH (Automated Clearing House) Network without a service fee through the UAOnline Pay Portal and the TMS Student Account Center. Here is a How-To document to find your Routing and Account information. 

·UAA will continue to accept check payments via mail and both cash and check payments in person at the University Center. Please do not send cash through the mail.

9. Will UAA accept credit/debit card payments for non-student account charges?

·UAA will continue to accept credit/debit card payments without a service fee for non-student account payments, donations, athletic tickets, accounts receivable payments, alumni events, etc.

10. Will I be able to schedule a payment to a credit/debit card for a Payment Plan?

·Yes. Credit/debit cards can be used to schedule a payment for a UAA Pay Plan installment within the TMS Student Account Center. These payments will include a non-refundable service fee—2.75% of the payment amount ($3 minimum fee).

11. Is UAA unique in charging a service fee?

·No. Many colleges and universities currently charge a service fee for credit/debit card transactions.

12. Is there any way I can avoid paying a service fee?

·You can avoid paying the 2.75% service fee by paying on UAOnline or TMS Student Account Center with a Web Check (ACH). Payments by cash, check, or money order can be made in person at the University Center, or by mail at UAA Cashiering, PO BOX 141609, Anchorage, AK 99514-1609. Here is a How-To document to find your Routing and Account information. 

13. Can I make a credit/debit card payment over the phone?

·No. Credit/debit card payments for tuition, fees, and other charges related to academic courses cannot be made over the phone or via mail. This is a security measure to ensure confidentiality of your payment information.

14. Can I make a credit/debit card payment in person for my Student Account?

·No. Credit/debit card payments can be made through UAOnline or TMS Student Account Center from any location where you can access the Internet. This includes dedicated computers at the University Center, where you can get assistance with how to pay online. Card payments are no longer accepted at UAA Cashiering.

15. Often I receive checks from my credit card company. Can I use the routing number and account number on the checks to make a Web Check (ACH) payment?

·No. The credit card company will not honor these checks used electronically. The payment will be returned as "account not found", returned items (NSF) are subject to $30 fee. You may use these checks by mail or in person only. Mail to: UAA Cashiering, PO BOX 141609, Anchorage, AK 99514-1609.

16. If I make a credit/debit card payment in error, will my service fee be refunded?

·No. The service fee is not refundable even if the payment to which it relates is canceled, refunded, credited, or charged back.

17. Do these changes affect my payments for flight time, transcripts, testing fees, or admissions fees?

·No. These changes are only on the student account payments as described above and will NOT affect any other transactions on our campuses where credit/debit cards are accepted. However, if you defer the named charge to your student account, then attempt to pay that charge online, the fee would apply for credit/debit card payments.

18. If I receive a refund from my student account and I paid my charges with a credit/debit card, will my card be refunded?

·Yes. Refunds will go first to the credit/debit card (s) used to pay for your account charges. If the refund is in excess of the credit/debit card payment, the rest will be refunded as a direct deposit or paper check. The service fee will not be refunded.

19. I am in a UAA Department;does this affect the Touchnet Marketplace?

·No. The service fee is only applicable to student account payments.

20. I am in a UAA Department;does this affect my card-present transactions (ie. Bookstore, coffee shop, ticket office)?

·No. The service fee is only applicable to the student account payments. 


Disbursements Answers

A. Where did my check get mailed?

Your check got mailed to your mailing address (MA). You can view or change this address at UAOnline.

A. How do I know if I'm signed up for direct deposit? 

You can view or change your direct deposit information at UAOnline. Changes to direct deposit become effective the following business day. 

A. Can I pick up my check? 

Due to the high volume of refunds that are processed through our office, we do not allow students to pick up checks. In addition, not having a valid mailing address is not a valid reason to pick up a check. If you would like to receive your refund quicker, please sign up for direct deposit as they take priority to printed checks. 

If you are already signed up for direct deposit, canceling your direct deposit to have a check printed will not allow for a faster refund. 

A. I think my check got lost in the mail, what should I do? 

If it has been more than 10 business days, you may request a stop pay by contacting the Disbursements office. An $18.50 fee applies to all stop pay requests and a check will be re-issued. To avoid lost and returned checks, please sign up for direct deposit at UAOnline to have your refunds put directly into your bank account.  

A. How do I return loan money that has been disbursed to me? 

You can return loan money within 14 days of disbursement. Please file a loan revision request form with financial aid. Any refund received can be returned through the Cashier's office either by returning your un-cashed check or by cash, or by personal check if you received direct deposit. Any balance resulting from a return of loan monies is due by the payment deadline. 

A. Why didn't my financial aid pay for my parking decal, library fines, book fines, orientation charges, late fees or health center charges? 

Federal student financial aid can only cover "institutional charges" as defined by the U.S. Department of Education. This definition includes current year charges for tuition, fees and on-campus room and board. Unless authorization is received, federal financial aid (Title IV) cannot be used to cover non-institutional charges such as: housing damages, parking permits, parking fines, library fine, returned check fees, health center charges, late fees or any charges not directly tied to taking a class. 

You may submit a Title IV Authorization form to have these charges paid for by your federal financial aid. A maximum amount of $200 per aid year can be applied to a prior year debt. If you owe more than $200 in a past aid year, please contact Collections to arrange payment. .

A. My refund got sent to the wrong bank account, or the credit card I paid with is closed. What should I do?

The disbursements office is typically notified 5-7 business days after initiation of a direct deposit if it has been rejected. Rejection of a direct deposit will prompt a paper check to print. Please make sure your mailing address is up to date. 

If you paid with credit card, your refund will be credited back to your account. If that account is closed, your bank will re-route your refund to your new card or issue you a refund. Please contact your bank or credit card company for more information regarding the status of your refund. 

The full refund policy is available in the catalog. 

A. What is Title IV?

Title IV is the section of the Higher Education Act of 1965 that regulates the administration of the U.S. federal student financial aid programs. Title IV refers to federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, TEACH grants, Direct PLUS Loans, Pell Grants, SEOG and Federal Work-Study funding. 

Back to Top


Cashiering Answers

A. When is my payment due?

Please see Important Dates and Deadlines for past and future payment deadlines and late fee assessment dates. 

A. What happens if I don't pay? 

If your account is unpaid after the payment deadline it will be subject to late fee assessment and your student account will be put on hold. You may be unable to view grades, add or drop courses and order transcripts until your account has been paid in full. 

A. What can I do if I don't have the money to pay? 

UAA has a payment plan available to students and families through Tuition Management System (TMS)

A. I am a parent of a student, how can I make a payment on their behalf? 

  • An authorized user may also be set up to make payments through the Cashier's office by filing an Authorization to Release Education Record Information. This form must be returned to the Office of the Registrar at the One Stop Kiosk located in the University Center or to the Cashier's window. Once on file, the authorized user may pay at the Cashiering window.

Back to Top


Collections Answers

A. What are my payment options if I don't have financial aid or financial aid won't cover all of my expenses?

Your best option is to set up a payment plan. For more details, visit our Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to set up a payment plan.   

A. Can I use financial aid to pay a balance I owe from a prior year? 

With written authorization, using the Title IV Authorization Form, we may apply $200 per aid year to a prior academic year balance. If you owe more than $200 please contact our Collections office to make payment arrangements. 

A. What is the best way to avoid getting late fees? 

The best way to avoid late fees is to have payment arrangements well before the payment deadline. This means making sure all necessary paperwork is submitted to financial aid in a timely fashion, informing scholarship donors of the payment deadline or setting up a payment plan to cover any outstanding balance. 

A. How can I get the hold off my account? 

The only way to get a hold off your account is for your account to be paid in full. Please contact the Collections office to make payment arrangements or pay your account online at the Student Account Center.