Civil engineering B.S.
Explore the civil engineering bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageUAA’s civil engineering bachelor’s degree program emphasizes northern-region design considerations and provides specialized training appropriate for an engineering career in Alaska and other cold regions of the world. Led by civil engineering professionals with diverse specialty-area experience, this hands-on program also features a variety of internship, service-learning and undergraduate research opportunities in Anchorage and beyond.
Study abroad programs
Gain new professional experiences and meet people from other cultures. UAA offers a variety of study abroad programs that give civil engineering majors the chance to study overseas. Explore study abroad opportunities.
Civil engineering scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education expenses. The College of Engineering offers scholarship opportunities such as the Alan B. Christopherson Engineering Scholarship, the Donald Lagerlef Scholarship and the Gary Kobayashi Engineering Scholarship. UAA also offers a variety of scholarships and other types of financial assistance. Learn more about financial aid opportunities at UAA.
Did you know..
Nearly 100 percent of UAA civil engineering majors take part in internships during their program of study.
What can you do with a civil engineering degree from UAA?
Employers are eager to hire UAA civil engineering alumni because of their solid engineering
fundamentals and familiarity with the local cold-region environment. Most UAA civil
engineering majors already have a job offer before graduation and go on to careers
in local government or with engineering consulting firms. Others go on to pursue graduate
programs in Alaska and across the United States.
Civil engineering graduate programs
UAA’s College of Engineering offers several graduate program options for engineering majors who want to pursue advanced study:
Civil engineering careers
Civil engineering is a broad field with a wide range of career options. These are some of the kinds of job opportunities you might pursue when you earn your bachelor’s degree:
- Structural engineer
- Environmental engineer
- Transportation engineer
- Geotechnical engineer
- Wastewater engineer
- Government and urban planning engineer
By the numbers..
Civil engineering bachelor’s degree program highlights
The Bachelor of Science in civil engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. This program offers unique access to cold-regions expertise and a world-class academic environment in the engineering hub of Alaska.
- Get real-world experience through Anchorage-area internships. Situated in the population and economic center of Alaska, there are numerous internship opportunities for civil engineering majors at UAA. In fact, almost all junior and senior students hold one or more engineering internships during academic or summer semesters.
- Conduct undergraduate research. The civil engineering program offers numerous opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in engineering-related research activities sponsored by government agencies or private industries.
- Work closely with expert faculty. Faculty specialty areas cover all sub-disciplines of civil engineering and most have expertise in cold region-related issues such as arctic, environmental, geotechnical, structural, water resources and transportation engineering.
- Take part in student clubs and networking events. Clubs include the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Engineers without Borders, the Institute of Transportation Engineers and the Society of Women Engineers.
Amazing stories from civil engineering majors
As an NSF fellow, I intend to educate and inspire others to better their communities through intelligent and sustainable design
Civil engineering bachelor’s degree program curriculumThe civil engineering program begins with an introduction to the principles of mathematics, chemistry and physics. From there you’ll move on to more advanced courses focused on engineering analysis and creative design. Throughout the bachelor’s degree program you’ll also take courses in communication, humanities, social sciences and fine arts to improve your communication skills and gain a deeper understanding of your responsibilities in today’s society.
Top classes for civil engineering majors
- In the required Arctic Engineering course, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of engineering challenges unique to arctic regions.
- In the Design of Civil Engineering Systems capstone course, you’ll gain valuable design experience, take part in community-based projects and interact with local professional