International Studies B.A.
Explore the international studies bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
UAA’s Bachelor of Arts in international studies program is interdisciplinary, drawing
on coursework in humanities and social sciences. Exploring the challenges and complexities
of today’s global world, you will develop key intercultural and liberal arts skills
that are fundamental to work and life.
Program track options
Choose from either the regional studies track or the global social science track. The regional studies track focuses on a particular location and language, with emphases available in Europe, northeast Asia or the global south. The global social science track develops marketable intercultural analytical skills. Both tracks prepare you for international affairs jobs in a broader context.
International studies scholarships and financial aid
Get help with tuition and education costs. As an international studies major at UAA, you may apply for a number of prestigious local and national scholarships.
Job skills for international relations
Develop skills in language and cultural literacy, writing, analytical and critical thinking and moral reasoning. You’ll also develop cultural awareness and an interest in global issues and travel — valuable attributes that contribute to success in any job.
Honors in international studies
Graduate with honors in international studies by maintaining a 3.80 GPA in courses applicable to the bachelor’s degree, completing eight credits of upper-division language coursework and earning an A in one of the undergraduate program’s mastery courses.
Did you know..
Alaska has a long history as a global crossroads. Anchorage, surrounded by a stunning natural landscape, has developed into one of the most diverse communities in the U.S. This combination of place and community makes the University of Alaska Anchorage a top choice for those interested in international studies.
What can you do with an international studies degree from UAA?
UAA’s Bachelor of Arts in international studies degree will help make you more competitive
in almost any career path. When you graduate, you’ll have the skills and experience
to pursue graduate school or to work and live abroad.
International studies graduate programs
Enhance an international studies B.A. by attending graduate school in a related discipline such as history, languages, international education, translation and interpretation, international law or transatlantic studies. The University of Alaska Anchorage offers the following graduate degree programs that may help you advance your career:
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- M.A. in English
- M.F.A. in creative writing
International studies careers
- Government agencies and public service
- Non-governmental entities such as relief organizations
- Peace Corps
- International corporations
- International English language schools
- Educational travel and tourism through organizations like the World Affairs Council
International studies bachelor’s degree program highlights
Gain international and intercultural experience through coursework and activities that enhance your qualifications for graduate school and employment.
- Increase your language proficiency and experience different cultures through study abroad. With opportunities around the world, the UAA Office of International and Intercultural Affairs guides you through the entire study abroad experience. Some international studies majors have researched the environmental and cultural impact of disasters in Japan, while others have used their demography and cultural skills to work with immigrant communities in Anchorage.
- Participate in internships and service learning. You can help communities in Alaska and the U.S. while developing skills in intercultural communication and international relations. The UAA Center for Community Engagement and Learning will also help you find opportunities that can be applied toward course credit to fulfill your bachelor’s degree program requirements.
- Learn from and work with faculty who have diverse expertise and experience. Program faculty come from diverse disciplines, including geography, environmental studies, history, languages, political science, sociology, philosophy, ethics and world religions.
Amazing stories from international studies majors
The interdisciplinary nature of UAA’s international studies undergraduate degree program has proven invaluable in my graduate studies, where topics are no longer siloed but require knowledge across the social sciences and an understanding of the methodologies that attend each area of inquiry. The experience I gained while earning my bachelor’s degree increased the complexity of my thinking and has allowed me to understand global issues more holistically.
International studies bachelor’s degree program curriculum
Foundational courses in UAA’s international studies major introduce you to global
issues and provide a platform to learn and practice different modes of inquiry and
The undergraduate degree program requirements combine comparative and global courses, language and cultural studies, ethics and values education and courses focused on a particular area of the world for a well-rounded, interdisciplinary bachelor’s degree.
Top classes for international studies majors
- Explore rapid changes transforming the world in the interdisciplinary Sociology of Globalization course.
- Expand your worldview with Themes in World History, including anarchism, genocide, revolution, colonialism and natural disasters.
- Study language and literature in Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish courses.
- Investigate theories and frameworks of moral and ethical reasoning in Ethics.
- Learn about the variety of regimes in nations worldwide in the Comparative Politics course.