Mathematics B.A. or B.S.
Explore the mathematics bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska Anchorage
Mathematics is a valuable discipline leading to a variety of career paths. Public,
private and government sectors are relying more and more on trained mathematicians
and their analytical and problem-solving skills to reach people, manage operations
and strategize growth.
Math scholarships and financial aid
Find out if you qualify for the Brian Wick and Hilary Davies Scholarship or similar opportunities offered by the College of Arts and Sciences and private financial aid programs. Visit the UAA Office of Financial Aid to learn more.
Students in the math degree program are hired to provide academic support to peers in advanced classes such as the Calculus sequence, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. Whether you need help studying or want to help other students, visit the Math Lab to learn more.
Math teacher education
Choose electives that help qualify you for certification to teach high school math. The bachelor’s degree in mathematics at the University of Alaska Anchorage is designed to meet recommendations of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), which most states follow.
Honors in mathematics
Achieve specific program requirements to graduate with departmental honors and enhance the value of your bachelor’s degree.
Other Majors/Math Minors
If you don’t choose to major in math, there is an option to minor in math. Students majoring in another subject who wish to minor in Mathematics can take upper-level mathematics courses. You could also take the Art of Mathematics course, taught by the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Popular among UAA undergraduate students in other disciplines, the interactive class will introduce you to a greater breadth of principles and topics while fulfilling general education requirements. Other upper-level Mathematics and Statistics courses include Advanced Engineering Math and CS/CSE.
Did you know..
As a UAA math major, you can join more than 4,000 undergraduate students throughout the U.S. and Canada in the annual William Lowell Putnam Mathematical Competition (Putnam Exam).
What can you do with a math degree from UAA?
The Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in mathematics degree programs prepare
you for graduate school in the mathematical or statistical sciences or careers in
theoretical or applied mathematics.
Mathematics graduate programs
- Physics, astronomy and astrophysics
- Business administration, economics and finance
- Computer science, cryptology or software design
Mathematics major careers
As a job candidate with a math degree, you will be in high demand, especially in the business, computing, education, finance and government sectors. These are just a few examples of jobs you may be interested in:
- Computer Systems and Information Technology (IT) Consultant
- Research or Data Analyst
By the numbers..
Mathematics bachelor’s degree program highlights
From small class sizes to big opportunities, the University of Alaska Anchorage offers one of the best undergraduate mathematics programs for an affordable, high-value degree coupled with a personalized college experience.
- Participate in research. The math department provides research advising for students across all disciplines. Program faculty have a range of expertise and experience in differential geometry, theoretical and applied statistics and graph theory, as well as art and athletics.
- Plan and prepare for your future with help from academic faculty advisors. For example, program faculty who know program requirements and course offerings can work with you to develop a class schedule that ensures you graduate on time.
- Study and practice in the Math and Stats Tutoring Lab in UAA’s Social Sciences Building. The lab is a space where you can collaborate on your studies and socialize as a community. With Windows workstations and more computers available in the library with correct software, the lab offers opportunities outside the classroom to work with course-specific software for additional hands-on experience in word processing, spreadsheets, publishing and presentations.
Amazing stories from program name majors
Giving me an edge over others with engineering backgrounds, UAA mathematics provided the foundation on which I have built my career. In my daily work, I use computational and technical communication skills developed while toiling with proofs in all of my higher-level classes. But the standout for me was the small class sizes, which meant I got a lot more faculty interaction, greater classroom engagement and camaraderie among my classmates.
Mathematics bachelor’s degree program curriculum
The bachelor’s degree programs in mathematics at UAA covers modern subjects, including
calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, real analysis, discrete mathematics, probability
What’s the difference between the B.A. and B.S. degrees in mathematics?
- If you’re interested in natural sciences such as biology or chemistry or financial fields such as economics and finance, the Bachelor of Science degree may be best for you. Course requirements include 12 credits from one of the following options: statistics, computer science, pre-data science, physics, finance, or a custom option.
If you prefer humanities such as history, literature or art, the Bachelor of Arts degree maybe best for you. Course requirements include 12 credits split between writing and communication to prepare you for public settings such as education and for many jobs in industry.
Top classes for mathematics majors
- Study the properties of space and what happens to space through stretching, twisting and bending in Concepts of Topology.
- Find interesting relationships between counting numbers with special attention to divisibility and prime numbers and explain why they occur in Number Theory.
- Explore curves and surfaces in space and use the idea of curvature to investigate such things as “straight lines” on a sphere and the mathematical properties of soap bubbles in Differential Geometry.