Student Responsibilities and Common Questions

Review rules to follow and choices to avoid:

Financial aid is offered from federal, state, private, and UAA sources of funds and the student responsibilities can vary by program and aid type. Students have responsibilities when it comes to aid and it is important to understand all of the rules behind each award. Some awards may require that you meet consistent academic standards and/or credit requirements in order to receive the award. If your award is from a private organization, you may need to look at their website or contact them for more information. 

Always remember, your financial aid eligibility could be in jeopardy if program rules are not followed. Please contact us if you have questions or concerns, we're here to help!

  • MEET Degree/Certificate Program Requirements

    In order to be eligible for federal, state, and most types of UAA financial aid programs, a student must be fully admitted in an eligible degree or certificate program.

    There are 6 types of admission into the University of Alaska Anchorage:

    1. Non-degree-seeking - students may take classes but are not eligible for most types of financial aid, except for some private sources.
    2. Occupational Endorsement Certificates (OEC) - These can be both undergraduate and graduate level. It is important to note that not all occupational endorsements are eligible for financial aid. It is important to verify with either the Registrar's Office or the Financial Aid Office to confirm eligibility. * The Alaska Performance Scholarship does not define any OECs as eligible for their funding.
    3. Certificate Program - These can be both undergraduate and graduate level and typically average 30 credits.
    4. Associate Degrees - These are typically undergraduate programs that average 60 credits. It is important to note that a student with prior federal loans at the bachelor's level may lose previous subsidized interest rights by changing to a lower degree program such as an associate, certificate, or OEC.
    5. Bachelor's Degree - These are typically undergraduate programs that average 120 credits. It is important to note that a student with prior federal loans at the bachelor's level may lose previous subsidized interest rights by changing to a lower degree program such as an associate, certificate, or OEC.
    6. Masters or Professional Level Programs - These are typically graduate programs that vary in earned credit requirements. It is important to note that a student accepted into a graduate program MUST enroll in graduate level courses, unless the UAA Catalog specifies that undergraduate courses fulfill a graduate degree requirement. Undergraduate leveling courses that must be taken BEFORE a student gains unconditional admission into a graduate program are not eligible for graduate level financial aid. The UAA Admissions and Registrar's Offices in coordination with the Financial Aid Office can help to determine if there is an undergraduate funding option.

    * UA Foundation Scholarships: Awarding of UA Foundation scholarships usually takes place up to 7 months prior to the start of the academic year in which the scholarship is disbursed. Many of these scholarships are selected based on admission to a particular degree program or college/department. Changing from one program or college to another could place your award in jeopardy.


  •  Consortium Agreements

    A Consortium Agreement exists between two higher education institutions (a primary "home" campus and a secondary "host" campus) to grant financial aid to a student concurrently attending both schools. UAA does not enter into consortium agreements on behalf of admitted UAA students with institutions outside the University of Alaska system. Therefore, students needing to take courses outside of UAA will need to budget private funds to do so.

    UAA will enter into consortium agreements on behalf of students attending UAA as their host campus.

  • MEET Enrollment Requirements

    The amount of financial aid you are eligible to receive can be affected by your enrollment status, or the number of credits you are enrolled in. 

    Federal PELL Grant (PELL): Actual amounts are subject to Federal Payment Schedules, FAFSA "EFC" number and grade mode.

    • Full-time -   12+ credits = 100%
    • 3/4 Time -  9-11 credits = approx. 75%
    • Half-Time -  6-8 credits = approx. 0-50%
    • Less than 1/2 Time - 1-5 credits = approx. 0-25% (varies based on FAFSA EFC)

    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG):

    • Half-Time -  6 or more credits = 100%
    • Less than 1/2 Time -  1-5 credits = 0%

    Federal Direct Student Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan, Federal Parent PLUS Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS), Federal Graduate PLUS Loan for Graduate Students)

    Undergraduate Students

    • Half-Time -  6 or more credits = 100%
    • Less than 1/2 Time -  1-5 credits = 0%
    •  * Award subject to Cost of Attendance adjustment and "pro-rated" loans for fall semester graduating students

    Graduate Students

    • Half-Time -  5 or more graduate-level credits = 100%
    • Less than 1/2 Time -  1-5 credits = 0%
    •  * Award subject to Cost of Attendance adjustment and "pro-rated" loans for fall semester graduating students

    Federal Work Study Program:

    • Half-Time -  6 or more credits = 100%
    • Less than 1/2 Time -  1-5 credits = 0%

     State and Institutional Scholarships:

    Refer to your scholarship award notification for confirmation. There are some UA Scholarships that require Full-Time (12+) Enrollment to remain eligible unless a special exception has been granted. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you have questions about eligibility.

     Private Scholarships:

     Please refer to the parameters established by your donor.

    Ineligible and Repeat Coursework (Courses taken more than once)

    Federal, State, and most UAA-funded programs require enrollment in financial aid eligible courses. Some courses do not meet the definition to qualify.

    Audit Mode - Taking a class in "audit mode" makes a class ineligible for federal, state, and most institutional financial aid. To "audit" a class means that you will not receive a final grade to identify your successful course participation and comprehension.

    Challenge courses and 500-level courses:  These courses are NOT fundable by any type of financial aid.

    Course Level Not Matched to Degree Level: Students in an undergraduate program may not take graduate level classes and have them count towards financial aid enrollment rules. Students admitted in a graduate program MUST enroll in graduate level courses, unless the UAA Catalog specifies that undergraduate courses fulfill a graduate degree requirement. Undergraduate leveling courses that must be taken BEFORE a student gains unconditional admission into a graduate program are not eligible for graduate level financial aid. The UAA Admissions and Registrar's Offices in coordination with the Financial Aid Office can help to determine if there is an undergraduate funding option.

    Repeat Courses:  Students may receive financial aid funding once for repeating a previously passed class; a failed course may be repeated until it is passed.

  • AVOID Ineligible and Repeated Coursework (Classes Taken More Than Once)

    Federal, State, and most UAA-funded programs require enrollment in financial aid eligible courses based on undergraduate or graduate program status.

    Some courses do not meet the definition to qualify:

    • Audit Mode: Taking a class in "audit mode" makes a class ineligible for federal, state, and most institutional financial aid. To "audit" a class means that you will not receive a final grade to identify your successful course participation and comprehension.
    • Challenge courses and 500-level courses:  These courses are NOT fundable by any type of financial aid.
    • Course Level Not Matched to Degree Level: Students in an undergraduate program may not take graduate level classes and have them count towards financial aid enrollment rules. Students admitted in a graduate program MUST enroll in graduate level courses, unless the UAA Catalog specifies that undergraduate courses fulfill a graduate degree requirement. Undergraduate leveling courses that must be taken BEFORE a student gains unconditional admission into a graduate program are not eligible for graduate level financial aid. The UAA Admissions and Registrar's Offices in coordination with the Financial Aid Office can help to determine if there is an undergraduate funding option.
    • Repeat Courses:  Students may receive financial aid funding once for repeating a previously passed class; a failed course may be repeated until it is passed.
    • Remedial Courses: Students who enroll in remedial coursework (less than 100 level) may receive financial aid for these courses.
    • Full "Repeat Coursework Guidance"

      Federal Regulations specify that students may receive federal financial aid funding for one repetition of a previously-passed course.

      Repeated coursework may be included if:

      • The student received an "unsatisfactory" or failing grade. Students may repeat a failed course until it is passed
      • Determining enrollment status in a term-based program if a student needs to meet an academic standard for a previously-passed course, such as a minimum grade.
        • e.g. A student received a 'D' in a course which requires a minimum of 'C' for his/her major. Please note that this is limited to one repetition of a passed course.
      • If a student passed a class once, is then repaid for retaking it, and withdraws the second time, that withdrawal does not count as their paid retake, and the student may receive financial aid for another attempt.

      Repeated coursework that may not count towards a student's enrollment status for the purpose of financial aid eligibility include:

      • Retaking a passed course more than once. If a student receives a 'D' in a course and decides to repeat the course, he/she may repeat this passed course one time. If this student wishes to repeat it a second time, the course would not count toward the student's enrollment status.
      • If a student passed a class once, then retakes it and fails the second time, that failure counts as their second retake and the student may not be repaid for retaking the class a third time.

      Additional Notes

      • All repeated courses affect financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress calculations. Regardless of whether the student received financial aid or not, all repeated coursework must be counted as attempted credits.

      • Certain course descriptions listed in the UAA Catalog may state that a specific course "must be repeated for degree" or "may be repeated for credit if content differs." A student may receive financial aid for these courses as long as the course content differs, regardless of receipt of a passing grade.


  • AVOID Dropping Classes (Before the Semester Starts OR During Add/Drop)

    The number of financial aid eligible credits a student is enrolled can determine how much financial aid they are eligible to receive. All initial awards are based on full-time enrollment (if not registered) and actual enrollment (if registered). Eligibility for federal and state financial aid "locks" on the Add/Drop Deadline at 5 PM. Final grant and scholarship award amounts are made the week after the deadline has passed. Check your UAOnline account to make sure you do not owe a balance after dropping a class. *Adding a class after the add/drop deadline may not result in additional funds, so it is important to check with the UAA Office of Financial Aid before making ANY add/drop decisions.

    Two adjustments that can seriously impact your financial aid in a negative way:

    1. Dropping SOME CLASSES before the Add/Drop Deadline: Students who drop some courses before the deadline may be eligible for a reduced award if the aid program allows it. If you have already received a disbursement for full-time, you may need to return the funds or you will be in jeopardy of receiving account holds and collections costs. Some aid programs do not allow allow less than full-time enrollment, so please check with our office.
    2. Dropping ALL CLASSES before the Add/Drop Deadline: Students who drop all courses during the Add/Drop period are not eligible for any financial aid, therefore 100% of federal and state aid initially offered to you will be returned to the government on the student's behalf. If you have already received a disbursement, you will need to return the funds or you will be in jeopardy of receiving account holds and collections costs.

    *For the summer semester, the published ADD/DROP DEADLINE is used to determine award amounts for all sessions during summer. If an initial award arrives after you have already withdrawn from a class(es), payment will match current enrollment. 

    If you change/reduce your enrollment after financial aid disbursement has occurred for a given semester, you will be responsible for all overpayments that are the result of your credit load reduction or change. Any credit balance of loans that exist as a result of an approved "Petition for Refund" or from dropping below half-time enrollment will be returned without student authorization to reduce your student loan debt and the risk to the institution's cohort default rate.

  • AVOID Not Attending / Not Participating in Class(es)
    Students who receive a Federal Pell Grant award and who do not begin attendance or participation in class(es) will have the award returned to the Federal government. The federal government will not allow students to keep financial aid without attendance in participation in courses. College instructors report this information to our office and we are required by the federal government to take action on those notices even if the semester has ended. 
  • AVOID Withdrawing from ONE or MORE Classes - But Not ALL Classes
     Students who receive a financial aid award at a higher enrollment credit load who later withdraw from a class(es) or switch them to "audit" may not immediately be in jeopardy of losing financial aid but the reduction could impact the Satisfactory Academic Progress - Cumulative Completion Rate, which could prevent future aid eligibility. In addition, certain scholarships, like the Alaska Performance Scholarship and the UA Scholars award require a student to earn specific credits (milestones/benchmarks) by the end of an academic year in order to earn eligibility in the upcoming year.
  • AVOID Withdrawing from ALL Classes

     In a given semester (period of enrollment), students earn a portion of their awarded federal financial aid for every day of attendance or active participation in academically-related activity. Eligibility for aid must be recalculated for a student who withdraws from all classes prior to completing 60% of the period of enrollment. If, due to the withdrawal calculation, the student owes the federal government a portion of the loans or grants received at the beginning of the semester, the university will automatically pay this to the government on the student's behalf. This may result in a debt placed on the student account and an institutional hold, preventing registration or release of official transcripts until resolved. Students will be subject to any collection costs incurred according to UAA Bursar's Office policies.

    There are three types of student behaviors that will result in a recalculation review:

    • Official Total Withdrawal: Students who withdraw from all courses on UAOnline or in writing after the Add/Drop Deadline has passed are eligible for a percentage of financial aid based on the percent of the semester completed. For example: a student who totally withdraws after completing only 30% of the term will have “earned” only 30% of any federal financial aid received. The school and/or the student must return the remaining 70% to the government.
    • Unofficial Total Withdrawal: Students who do not officially withdraw but they instead STOP attending or participating in class, or fail to earn a successful grade in any of their semester classes will also be reviewed. Failure to successfully complete coursework after receiving federal financial aid will result in a recalculation of earned aid based on faculty-reported last date of attendance submitted for students who earn an "F", "NB", or "NG" during grade submission. If faculty report that a student did not attend/participate in any portion of a course, the student has earned zero (0%) percent of financial aid and all aid will be returned to the government. Note: A student may submit instructor-certified documentation of attendance within five (5) business days in order to keep a prorated portion of federal funds. Until the calculation is completed, affected students will be subject to an "Unofficial Withdrawal Hold", preventing future financial aid disbursements. 

    The Return of Title IV Funds Calculation is based on the number of calendar days a student attended*, divided by the number of days within the enrollment term. * For distance education courses, "attendance" is based on "participation in academically-related activity" under the direction of the instructor. Please note: Logging into the UAA BlackBoard portal does not indicate active participation.

    A student thinking about withdrawing from classes should contact the Office of Financial Aid to see how the withdrawal will affect their current and future aid eligibility.

    • Return of Federal Title IV Funds Calculation Instructions

      The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 changed the formula for calculating the amount of aid a student and school can retain when the student totally withdraws from all classes. Students who withdraw from all classes prior to completing more than 60% of an enrollment term will have their eligibility for aid recalculated based on the percent of the term completed. For example, a student who totally withdraws after completing only 30% of the term will have “earned” only 30% of any Title IV aid received. The school and/or the student must return the remaining 70%. The Office of Student Financial Aid encourages you to read this policy carefully. If you are thinking about withdrawing from all classes PRIOR to completing 60% of the semester, you should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to see how your withdrawal will affect your financial aid.

      1. This policy applies to all students who withdraw, drop out, are expelled from the University of Alaska Anchorage or otherwise fail to complete the period of enrollment for which they were charged, and who receive financial aid from Title IV funds:
        • The term “Title IV Funds” refers to the Federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: Unsubsidized Stafford loans, Subsidized Stafford loans, Federal PLUS loans, Federal Perkins loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG grants.
        • A student’s withdrawal date is:
          • the date the student completed the course withdrawal form, or the date the student officially notified the Enrollment Services Office (this notification may take place via email, letter, phone or personal contact); or
          • the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution; or
          • the student’s last date of attendance at a documented academically related activity.
        • The term “period of enrollment” includes every day, including weekends, that the student is enrolled, excluding breaks of at least five consecutive days (the length of the break is determined by counting the first day of the break through the last day before classes resume).
      2. Title IV aid is earned in a prorated manner on a perdiem basis up to and including the 60% point in the semester. Title IV aid and all other aid is viewed as 100% earned after that point in time.
        • The percentage of Title IV aid earned shall be calculated as follows:

          Number of days completed by student / Total number of days in term* = Percent of term completed

          The percent of term completed shall be the percentage of Title IV aid earned by the student.

          *The total number of days in term excludes any scheduled breaks of more than five days.

        • The percentage of Title IV aid unearned (i.e., to be returned to the appropriate program) shall be 100% minus the percent earned.

        • Unearned aid shall be returned first by UAA from the student’s account calculated as follows:

          Total institutional charges X percent of unearned aid = amount returned to program(s)

          Unearned Title IV aid shall be returned to the following programs in the following order: Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Subsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loans, Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS), Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, other Title IV grant programs. Exception: no program can receive a refund if the student did not receive aid from that program.

        • When the total amount of unearned aid is greater than the amount returned by UAA from the student’s account, the student is responsible for returning unearned aid to the appropriate program(s) as follows: Unsubsidized Stafford Loan*, Subsidized Stafford Loan*, Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS)*, Federal Pell Grant**, Federal SEOG**, other Title IV grant programs**.

          * Loan amounts are returned according to the terms of the promissory note.
          ** Amounts to be returned by the student to federal grant programs will receive a 50% discount.

        • If a withdrawing student is determined to have earned more aid than was actually disbursed by the official withdrawal date, UAA may apply “post-withdrawal disbursements” to current year charges and to minor prior year charges that the student owes without specific permission of the withdrawing student, providing the student would have otherwise been fully eligible for the disbursement on the date of withdrawal.

        • If earned but not disbursed amounts remain after a post-withdrawal disbursement is applied to outstanding eligible institutional charges, withdrawing students (or their respective PLUS borrower) will be offered, in writing, postwithdrawal disbursements of the remaining amounts within 30 days of the date of UAA’s determination that the student withdrew. The withdrawing student or his/her parent must accept the balance of the “post-withdrawal disbursement” within 14 days of being notified. If the student or parent accepts the offer of a post-withdrawal disbursement within 14 days, UAA must provide the funds within 90 days of the date on which UAA became aware of the withdrawal. If the student or parent does not respond within the 14-day window, UAA is not required to make the disbursement, but may do so at it discretion.

        • Written offers of post-withdrawal disbursements, refunds and adjusted bills will be sent to the student’s home address on file in the Office of Records and Registration following withdrawal. Students are responsible for any portion of their institutional charges that are left outstanding after Title IV funds are returned.

      3. A student may rescind his/her official notification of withdrawal by filing a written statement with the Records and Registration Office that he/she is continuing to participate in academically related activities and intends to complete the period of enrollment.
        • If the student subsequently ceases to attend UAA prior to the end of the period of enrollment, the student’s rescission is negated and the withdrawal date is the student’s original date, unless a later date is determined.
      4. Institutional and student responsibilities concerning the return of Title IV funds.
        • UAA’s responsibilities concerning the return of Title IV funds include:
          • providing each student with the information given in this policy;
          • identifying students who are affected by this policy and completing the Return of Title IV Funds calculation for those students;
          • returning any Title IV funds that are due the Title IV programs.
        • The student’s responsibilities in regard to the return of Title IV funds include:
          • becoming familiar with the Return of Title IV policy and how complete withdrawal affects eligibility for Title IV aid;
          • returning to the Title IV programs any funds that were disbursed directly to the student and which the student was determined to be ineligible for via the Return of Title IV Funds calculation.
      5. The fees, procedures, and policies listed above supersede those published previously and are subject to change at any time.
      6. Refunds of institutional charges for students who do not totally withdraw will be calculated using the UAA refund policy published in the UAA Class Schedule and Academic Catalog.
      7. Withdrawn students who later have a Petition for Refund approved may not receive the full refund if the source of funds used to pay for university charges is from a federal or alternative student loan source. UAA will return any credit balance of student loan funds to reduce the loan debt burden on the student and to effectively support institutional default management goals. 
  • MEET Federal Work-Study and Student Employment Responsibilities
    • Begin work only after all new hire paperwork has been completed
    • Notify the Office of Financial Aid and your immediate supervisor at once if you withdraw from the University or drop below half-time (6 credit hours). You cannot receive Federal Work Study funds if you are taking less than 6 credit hours.
    • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to the SAP policy of the University.
    • Student employees should only work up to 20 hours a week while the University is in session.
    • No students can work during times scheduled for classes.
    • Report time worked accurately and in a timely manner every pay period (every two weeks).
    • Notify supervisor in advance if rearranging regularly scheduled hours.
    • Notify supervisor of absences in advance.
    • Refrain from conducting personal business while working.
    • Do not misuse University property, including keys, access cards, office equipment, vehicles, or mail and phone service.
    • Be professional and respectful while on the job. Discuss dress and appearance with your supervisor.
    • For additional assistance in learning how to expand your professional reputation, visit the UAA Career Services Center
  • MEET Alaska Performance Scholarship and UA Scholars Continuing Eligibility Requirements


     The Alaska Performance Scholarship is an opportunity for Alaska high school students to earn money to help cover the cost of an Alaska postsecondary eligible degree or vocational certificate. Alaska high school students who take a more rigorous curriculum, get good grades, and score well on college placement or work-ready exams, can earn an Alaska Performance Scholarship to attend UAA or other qualified Alaska colleges, universities, or vocational/technical programs.

    • Who can RECEIVE the APS?

      Alaska residents who graduate from an Alaska high school (public, private, or home school) in 2011 or later and meet the qualifying requirements as determined by the Alaska Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).

      Visit ACPE's website for further information regarding the Alaska Performance Scholarship.

    • How do I USE the APS at UAA?

      Using the APS scholarship at UAA is a great way to pursue your degree or certificate with as little debt as possible.

      So you've qualified and applied for the APS - now what?

      To receive the first award at UAA, you must also:

      • Apply for admission to UAA before the enrollment certification deadline that you plan to attend using an APS award
      • Be admitted to a qualifying degree or certificate program.
        • Collegiate Track Eligible Programs: associate, bachelor's, and/or graduate program
        • Vocational Track Eligible Programs: certificate program - NOTE: "Occupational Endorsement Certificates" are not eligible certificate programs.
      • Enroll in either Full-time (FT) credits or more (12+ credits for undergraduate students and 9+ credits for Graduate students) or Half-time (HT) credits (6- 11 undergraduate credits or 5-8 graduate credits).
      • Have unmet costs of attendance of $500 or more listed on the UAOnline Financial Aid Awards after considering all other non-loan aid, such as grants and other scholarships.

       If you want to receive the maximum number of awards, remember:

      1. You must file a new Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year by June 30th!
      2. You must meet continuing eligibility requirements listed in the "How do I MAINTAIN APS continuing eligibility?" section.
      3. You have six years after high school graduation to fully use up to four years (eight semesters) of awards.
    • When will UAA receive the list of APS-ELIGIBLE students?


      APS-eligible students will be able to see their APS awards on UAOnline in MID-TO-LATE August.

      Alaska schools report K-12 information to the Department of Education & Early Development (EED) during the summer months. EED reviews the data for completion and accuracy prior to extracting high school graduates and their APS eligibility information and transmitting this population to the Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE).  Upon receipt of the APS eligibility file, ACPE’s internal processes match the student records to submitted FAFSA information before it can be sent to UAA.

      * Continuing students in award years 2-4 are then reviewed by UAA to make sure they have met continuing eligibility benchmarks.

      * Transfer APS students should make sure they have UAA identified on the MyAlaska AK Student Aid Portal.

    • How do I MAINTAIN APS continuing eligibility?

      By the end of your first year:

      • earn 24 semester credits (12 for half-time students)
      • maintain a 2.0+ cumulative GPA     

      By the end of each subsequent year:

      • earn 30 semester credits (15 for half-time students
      • maintain a 2.5+ cumulative GPA     

      As a graduate student:

      • earn 18 semester credits (10+ for half-time students)
      • maintain a 2.5+ cumulative GPA

      *You must also meet UA Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.

      For APS certification purposes, Full-time (FT) is defined as 12 credits or more for undergraduate students and 9 credits or more for Graduate students. Half-time (HT) is defined as between at least 6 and 11 credits or between 5 and 8 credits for Graduate students.

      Regardless of a student's FT or HT status, the APS is designed as an eight disbursement only format to be used within 6 years of graduation from high school.* This means that a half time student will receive a proration of their eligibility, while a full time student will receive up to 100% of their award. This is contingent on continued eligibility based on academic progress, enrollment status, other need based money student may have received in their budget, Cost of Attendance and that the student maintains the minimum required GPA as outlined below.

      • Certificate students have the additional requirement of completing the certificate in order to meet continuing eligibility requirements.
      • Graduate Students are required to maintain a 2.5 GPA for the entire enrollment period. 
    • How do I MAXIMIZE the APS awards?

      UAA would like to help you maximize your scholarship and promote the most efficient way to use your financial assistance to complete your goals successfully.

      The full-time option is closely aligned with the Stay on Track guidelines at UAA.

      The University of Alaska Anchorage is required to certify student enrollment as of the census date, or the add/drop deadline for each term. This ensures students are meeting continuing eligibility requirements and are being paid accurately for any coursework adjustments made as of that deadline. To receive the maximum amount of award you are eligible for, please make sure you have finalized your registration as early as possible.

      • A FT student is nearly finished with a Bachelor's degree if they meet continuing eligibility requirements after 8 disbursements. This student has maximized their use of the scholarship.
      • A HT student in pursuit of an Associate's degree would be nearly finished with their goals after 8 disbursements. Students may decline a half-time award in order to maximize their use and receive a full-time award in a later term.
    •  How does the Full-time award COMPARE to the Half-time award?
      Year in School Award Level Number
      GPA Required Full-Time
      to Proceed
      Disbursed by
      Award Level
      to Proceed
      Disbursed by
      Award Level
      Year 1 Level1
      2 2.0 24 $4755.00
      12 $2377.00
      Year 2 Level1
      2 2.5 30 $4755.00
      15 $2377.00
      Year 3 Level1
      2 2.5 30 $4755.00
      15 $2377.00
      Year 4 Level1
      2 2.5 30 $4755.00
      15 $2377.00
        8   114 $19020.00
      57 $9510.00
    • Is it possible to APPEAL an APS Expiration?

      The State Board of Education adopted the APS regulation allowing for an extension of eligibility (4 AAC 43.045) when special circumstances have prevented the student from participating and receiving all disbursements within the six (6) year window, such as health, military service, etc. Students must appeal directly to the Commissioner of the AK Department of Education and Early Development (DEED) and include documentation to confirm personal or academic circumstances beyond their control which caused delayed participation in the APS program. [14.43.820 and 14.43.825] Typically all exceptions must be received before the eligibility expires, unless circumstances have prevented an earlier appeal.

      The requirements for all extension requests are:

      1. The student must submit to the commissioner of the AK Department of Education and Early Development (DEED) a written request for a scholarship eligibility extension.
      2. The student should submit evidence to support circumstances occurred that were beyond their control.
      3. The eligibility extension request must be postmarked no later than 30 days before the student's period of scholarship eligibility under AS 14.43.825(b) is set to expire. The address for the submission is PO BOX 11050, Juneau, AK. 99811-0500.

      Appeals based on unavailability of UAA curriculum required additional steps:

      1. The appealing student must meet with an academic advisor who will create a DegreeWorks academic plan in UAOnline. The advisor will then reach out on behalf of the student to work with UAA Academic Affairs and Dr. Susan Kalina to accommodate the request for the required statement from UAA showing agreement that required coursework was not available for the student to have steady degree progression within the six (6) year window.
      2. The request sent to DEED must be accompanied by a signed statement from Dr. Susan Kalina, Vice Provost for Undergraduate Academic Affairs, attesting that the student has experienced or is experiencing an enrollment delay due to the availability of UA coursework required by the degree program the student is pursuing and that the enrollment delay is beyond the student's control. Students may not have other gaps in attendance due to personal choice, such as previous "gap year" taken.


     The UA Scholars program offers a merit-based scholarship that students qualify for based on their class ranking in high school. The purpose of the UA Scholars Award is to provide an incentive for Alaska's middle and high school students to achieve academic excellence, to nourish efforts of schools to provide high quality education, and to encourage the top high school graduates from every community in Alaska to attend the University of Alaska. The UA Scholars Award continues to keep Alaska's top high school graduates in state while continuing their education at the University of Alaska. UA Scholars enrich the academic environment at UA as they develop in their roles as future leaders of Alaska. They represent all the corners of the state and serve as ambassadors between their community and the university.

    Eligibility for the UA Scholars Award is based on academic standing at the end of the junior year. Each eligible high school in Alaska is responsible for notifying the UA Scholars Program about the students who qualify for the UA Scholars Award through a "Designation Process" which takes place from May 1 - October 1 each year. The program office then notifies eligible students what action to take before May 1st of their senior year in high school. It is a $12,000 scholarship to any of the 15 University of Alaska campuses. With over 500 degree and certificate programs to choose from you are likely to find a program that will help you meet your career goals.

    • For initial and continuing eligibility criteria, award information, and more, visit the UA Scholars Program website. 
    • For new or current UA Scholars, review the UA Credit Milestones chart  on the UA Scholars Program Website to determine how to remain in program compliance.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) - Follow Rules to Remain Eligible for Financial Aid

What is SAP?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the federal requirement that students make real and measurable progress toward their degree in order to be eligible to receive federal aid. SAP was created due to increasing accountability for the use of federal, state, and institutional student financial aid funds. Universities and students are required to demonstrate that financial aid funds are being used to assist students in efficiently completing their academic goals. In order to remain eligible for federal, state, and most institutional financial aid, students must comply with the SAP standards represented in the University of Alaska SAP Policy.

All students are monitored for SAP whether or not they applied for or received financial aid during prior semesters. Students are not eligible for federal, state, or institutional financial assistance if they do not meet SAP requirements.

  • What Does my SAP Status Mean?

    To view your SAP status...

    1.      Go to UAOnline,

    2.      Click on the Financial Aid tab,

    3.      Select UAA,

    4.      Select Financial Aid Status,

    5.      Select the appropriate Academic Year

    6.      Review your overall financial aid status.  Your SAP (academic progress) status will be listed.


    What does my SAP status mean?



    The student is meeting all SAP standards and is eligible to receive financial aid.

    125% Early Alert

    The student is meeting all SAP standards and is eligible to receive financial aid. This is an informational status to advise students they are approaching the 150% maximum timeframe for their primary degree program.


    The student has been placed on financial aid warning for one semester after they failed to meet the GPA and/or the cumulative completion rate standards.

    This warning status allows students to receive financial aid for one additional semester of enrollment without need for appeal or any other action. This gives students an opportunity to rectify their academic progress for the next semester. Students must meet ALL SAP standards by the end of the warning term or have financial aid eligibility suspended.


    The student has been suspended from receiving financial aid if they did not meet the GPA or cumulative completion rate by the end of their warning semester. The student may have also been suspended for failing to complete their program by the established maximum timeframe.

    Students on financial aid suspension are ineligible for federal, state, and institutional aid. The financial aid suspension affects only financial aid and does not prevent a student from enrolling and paying for classes on their own. Suspension will persist until the student either reinstates their eligibility or successfully appeals for an exception to policy.


    The student was on financial aid suspension but successfully appealed. Students on probation are eligible for financial aid disbursements but must meet the requirements of their academic plan and the conditions of their appeal until they can reinstate their eligibility. Students who fail to meet the requirements of their academic plan or the conditions of their appeal will be placed back on financial aid suspension.
  • What are the minimum requirements to be in a status eligible for financial aid?
    • 1. Cumulative GPA
      Cumulative grade point average measures quality of course completion by evaluating GPA. The minimum cumulative GPA for undergraduate students is 2.0 (equivalent to a C average) and 3.0 for graduate students using a 4.0 scale. All credits taken at other UA campuses (UAA, UAF, UAS, & PWSC) are included in this calculation.
    • 2. Cumulative Completion Rate

      Cumulative completion rate measures pace of completion to ensure students making steady progress toward their degree by completing at least 67% of all their attempted credit hours. For example, a student who has attempted 16 credits must successfully earn at least 11 credits to meet the 67% required minimum completion rate. All credits taken at other UA campuses (UAA, UAF, UAS, & PWSC) are included in this calculation.

      Attempted credits include:

      • All credits for courses in which a student is formally enrolled at the end of the add/drop period or after. This includes credits taken at the undergraduate, graduate or professional degree levels and credits taken during enrollment as a non-degree student.

      • All credits for courses in which the student enrolled but did not complete successfully.  This includes incomplete grades, withdrawals, ‘F’s, and/or courses changed to audit after the add/drop period.

      • Transfer credits from another school that are accepted by UAA.

      • Credits earned through examination, testing, or other non-standard means that are accepted by UAA.

      Earned Credits include:

      • All credits completed with grades of 'D' or better, excluding credits for repeated coursework.

      • All credits completed with a ‘P’ passing grade.

      • Transfer credits from another school that are accepted by UAA.

      • Credits earned through examination, testing, or other non-standard means that are accepted by UAA.

    • 3. Maximum Timeframe (150% rule)

      The maximum timeframe standard, also known as the 150% rule, stipulates that students will be eligible to receive financial aid only if their attempted credits is equal or less than 150% of the length of their primary degree program. This is measured based on the number of attempted credits the student has taken compared to the number of credits required for their degree. If students changes their degree program, their 150% maximum timeframe determination may also change. All credits taken at other UA campuses (UAA, UAF, UAS, & PWSC) are included in this calculation, even if they do not apply toward the student's current degree program.

      The examples shown in the chart below represent minimum requirements for the degree programs listed, and the corresponding maximum attempted credits allowed for purposes of student financial aid eligibility. 

      Degree Program

      Credits Required

      Maximum Credits


      60 credits

      90 credits


      120 credits

      180 credits

       Certificates and OEC (Occupational Endorsement Certificates) are based on the same requirement that student eligibility is dependent on maintaining the 150% rule.


  • When does evaluation and notification happen?

    Frequency of Evaluation

    UAA evaluates SAP at the end of each semester after grades are posted. Students are evaluated to determine their financial aid eligibility for the upcoming semester.

    Every student who receives financial aid must be making SAP, regardless of whether they are a first-time applicant or have received financial aid in the past. First-time freshman with no prior post-secondary coursework are presumed to be meeting the SAP standards for their first semester of enrollment and will be eligible for financial aid.

    Enrollment Status

    SAP evaluations are based on the student’s enrollment status.  Undergraduate students will have only undergraduate coursework counted in their SAP evaluation.  Similarly, graduate students will have only graduate coursework counted in their SAP evaluation.


    Shortly after SAP is evaluated, Financial Assistance staff will notify students who fail to meet the minimum SAP standards. Staff will inform students via email to their preferred email address that they have been placed on financial aid warning or financial aid suspension. SAP is evaluated for each student within the UA system regardless of whether they are using financial aid or not.

    SAP status can also be found on UAOnline under the "Financial Aid" tab under "Eligibility".

  • Are there classes, programs, or rules could make me ineligible for financial aid?
    • Occupational Endorsements: Some occupational endorsement certificates do not qualify for financial aid under federal, state, and UAA rules. Check with the UAA Financial Aid Office to make sure you are admitted into an eligible program.
    • Audit Grade Mode Classes: Classes taken in "audit" grade mode are not eligible for financial aid. Students must be taking a class for credit, actively participate, and earn a successful grade at the conclusion of the course in order to avoid violating several federal aid eligibility rules.
    • Repeat Courses:  Students may receive financial aid funding once for repeating a previously passed class; a failed course may be repeated until it is passed.
    • Remedial Coursework:  Students who enroll in remedial coursework (less than 100 level) may receive financial aid.
    • eLearning and Distance-Delivered Courses:  These courses count toward the credit hour load and may be used to fulfill credit hour requirements for financial aid if the courses are required for a student’s degree program. Note: Students are still required to complete these classes within the term that they enroll (year-long correspondence courses are NOT eligible for financial aid).
    • Challenge courses and 500-level courses:  These courses are NOT fundable by any type of financial aid.
    • Institutional Funds: Students receiving most scholarships, grants, or tuition waivers from UA are expected to meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements listed in this document.  Please be advised, however, that some scholarships and waivers require a higher GPA for continued receipt.
    • Other Sources of Aid: Students receiving scholarships or financial aid from such sources as State of Alaska, BIA, regional and village corporations, civic groups, and private organizations will be evaluated under the requirements of the funding agency.
    • Disbursements: Appeals may be approved for current or future semesters only and cannot be approved for a prior term. Funds cannot be disbursed for prior semesters when a student had failed to maintain satisfactory academic progress.   
    • Financial Aid Warning: A student in good standing who fails to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements will be placed on Warning for the first semester s/he falls below the cumulative 67% standard and/or who fails to meet the minimum cumulative GPA requirement.
    • Financial Aid Suspension:  Financial aid suspension will result from:
      1. Failure to complete the minimum percentage of credits and/or cumulative GPA required after being on Financial Aid Warning.
      2. Academic Disqualification, Dismissal, or removal from program as defined by the academic catalog.
      3. Exceeding 150% of the maximum number of credits required for graduation from the student's program.
      4. Failure to meet the requirements of an appeal approval and/or academic plan.
  • How can I appeal my current status or regain eligibility for financial aid?

    UAA does not have the authority to waive SAP requirements. However, the UAA Office of Financial Aid may make exceptions to the requirements in individual cases, if the student can demonstrate his or her failure to meet the minimum standard was caused by exceptional or unusual circumstances beyond his or her control. To be eligible for an exception to policy, students must appeal their SAP status.

    The Office of Financial Aid will email students notifying them of their status and advising them of their right to appeal while providing a link to the appeal form and instructions. Students may obtain additional copies of the appeal form at the UAA Enrollment Services Center in the Student Union building or from the UAA Financial Aid Forms website.

    • How can I reinstatement my eligibility without filing an appeal?

      Students placed on financial aid suspension for failing to maintain the SAP GPA or cumulative completion rate minimums may regain their financial aid eligibility by bringing themselves back into compliance with the SAP Standards.

      Students who have exceeded the 150% maximum timeframe requirement cannot regain eligibility through the reinstatement process.

      Also note that students may not re-establish their financial aid eligibility by successfully completing a few classes or by leaving school for a period of time. However, students may appeal their SAP status based on exceptional circumstances or take action to reinstate their SAP eligibility by succeeding with coursework sufficient to meet the minimal SAP standards.

    • How to appeal

      If you are a student who would like to appeal your financial aid suspension you must complete the following process:

      1.  Meet with your academic advisor. Your academic advisor will help you create a plan for success including a degree plan in DegreeWorks and will discuss with you how to complete the appeal form. Advisors will assist students by:
        •  Reviewing and/or helping students to complete the appeal form
        • Helping students create a strategy for success by identifying the needs of the student and assist them in creating a strategy to help them return to good standing. This may include putting the student in contact with the various Student Resources<http://www.uaa. academic/resources/> available at UAA
        • Creating a degree plan which will be saved into DegreeWorks for later reference
        • Establish an ongoing relationship to support the student's continuing academic endeavors since it is critical that students meet with their advisor prior to withdrawing from a course, or otherwise altering their registration because this can impact their appeal and/or their status while on probation
      2.  Complete the appeal form (located by academic year under UAA Financial Aid Forms)
        • Students are required to clearly explain and document the reasons they failed to meet the minimum SAP requirements and to explain their plan for reinstatement. Required documentation depends upon each student's specific reasons for insufficient SAP and must originate from an objective "third party" perspective.
        • Be sure to read, initial and sign where appropriate.
        •  Request that your advisor sign page 2 of the appeal form.
        • Include a detailed statement describing the reasons for failing to meet the minimum SAP requirements. Be specific and concise in your explanation since incomplete information may cause a denial or a delay in the review of your appeal.
        • Include a detailed explanation of the measures you have taken to ensure that your academic performance will improve and/or actions you have taken to correct the circumstances that prevented your prior lack of academic progress. For example, if you are appealing due to an illness, you must explain why the illness you experienced will no longer affect your ability to succeed.
        • You may use extra pages if necessary.
        • Attach supporting documentation. Documentation should confirm your circumstances and include some sort of time frame. Examples of documentation include:
          • Doctor's letters
          • Court documents 
          • Death certificates
          • Obituary   
      • Please note, letters of support from friends or family members are not sufficiently objective and will not be considered.
      1. Once completed, you or your advisor may submit the appeal packet in one of the following ways:

        • Fax to (907) 786-6122, "Attention: SAP Appeals"
        • Scan and email to 
        • Mail to the Office of Financial Aid, SAP Appeals, University of Alaska Anchorage, 3211 Providence Drive, ESC, Anchorage, Alaska 99508
    • Acceptable Circumstances

      It is the responsibility of the student to demonstrate that his or her failure to meet the minimum standard was caused by exceptional  or unusual circumstances beyond his or her control. Examples of extenuating circumstances include:

      • Personal injury or illness

      • The death of a relative

      • Unexpected military deployment

      • Other special circumstances outside the student’s control

      Students who choose to appeal and do so successfully will be placed on probation. Students whose appeals are not approved will continue on financial aid suspension and may need to consider other ways of funding their education.

    • Unacceptable Circumstances

      Circumstances commonly experienced by most students will not constitute unusual circumstances and such appeals will not be approved. For example, the following scenarios are generally NOT extenuating circumstances and are not an acceptable justification for appealing:

      • Youthfulness, immaturity, or lack of focus

      • Difficult coursework or attempted too many credits and could not handle the workload

      • Conflicts between student and instructor(s)

      • Transportation issues

      • Poor time management

      • Financial aid processing late or delayed

      • Medical reasons that were known to the student prior to the start of the semester, unless he or she can document unforeseen complications

      • Work conflicts, unless the student can document an unexpected, unavoidable, and involuntary change to his or her work schedule that directly hindered academic success

      • Lack of childcare, unless the student can document an unexpected, unavoidable, and involuntary change to his or her childcare situation along with an explanation of how it prevented the student from succeeding and why it could not be resolved in a timely manner

    • Appeal Time frame

      Allow 30 days from receipt of your completed appeal packet for the Office of Financial Aid to carefully review your appeal. You will be notified of the decision by e-mail to your preferred email account. Complete appeal forms and attached documentation must be received no later than two weeks prior to the end of the semester for which you are appealing.

      Incomplete appeals may result in processing delays or the denial of your appeal.

      Students are responsible for satisfying any tuition and fees that are due prior to the results of your appeal. Approval is not automatic and not guaranteed. It is in your best interest to submit the appeal form and required documentation as soon as possible.

    • If your appeal is approved

      Students who successfully appeal their SAP status will be placed on financial aid probation and must comply with the requirements of their academic plan as stipulated in the UAA SAP Policy. Students must maintain:

      • A 100% semester completion ratio (i.e., successfully completing all classes attempted)

      • A minimum semester GPA of 2.0 for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduates

      In addition, students are expected to comply with the conditions of their appeal:

      • Follow the degree plan saved in DegreeWorks

      • Meet with their advisor to update their degree plan as necessary

      • Take only courses required for their degree

      • Other conditions as stipulated

      Students on probation will be evaluated each semester to ensure they are adhering to their academic plan. Financial Aid will not be disbursed until this is done.

    • If your appeal is denied

      If a student’s appeal is denied, and he or she feels that their circumstances were not accurately represented and merit further review, the student may submit an appeal to the Director of Financial Aid within 30 days after their appeal was denied. It is the responsibility of the student to submit additional information that may assist with explaining the circumstances for which he or she was not able to maintain SAP. The Director will review the secondary appeal and notify the student of their decision. The decision of a secondary appeal is final.

      Students who did not submit or receive an approved secondary appeal may continue enrollment at UAA without financial assistance or with the assistance of an alternative student loan from a private lender.

      Secondary Appeals may be:

      • Fax to: (907) 786-6122, Attention Director of Financial Aid

      • Scan and email to, Attention Director of Financial Aid

      • Mail to: University of Alaska Anchorage, Attn: Director of Financial Aid, 3211 Providence Drive, ESC, Anchorage, Alaska 99508

  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    • Why am I receiving a SAP letter if I didn't use financial aid?

      Because we cannot predict each student’s need for financial aid, we monitor all enrolled UAA students for SAP, whether or not they applied for or received financial aid. This is done to assist students to maintain an awareness of their SAP status and their ability to receive financial aid in the future should they need it.

    • If I withdraw from a class, how will this affect my financial aid?

      Financial Aid recipients are required to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). The consequences of withdrawing from a class vary, and can only be determined by looking at the your current SAP standing and course load. Generally speaking, if you are currently making SAP, you must complete at least two thirds (66.6%) of your required credits and maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative* GPA.

      • Example: During your first term of attendance you are enrolled in 12 credits. You would need to complete at least 8 of those credits to have completed the term at > 66.6% and have a 2.0 to be in good academic standing.  
      • At the end of your second term you are again taking twelve credits and you only complete 6. Your cumulative (all terms combined) completion ratio would be 14 earned credits out of 24 attempted (58%). Because you have dropped below 66.6%, you will be placed on "warning". After your first semester of warning, if you do not meet the minimum GPA and completion ratio, you will become ineligible for future financial aid. It is therefore very important to pass all the classes you attempt. You can view your current academic progress status by regularly checking your  UAOnline account.

      Even if withdrawal doesn't affect your SAP, remember the importance of Staying on Track, and the personal consequences of paying for a class that you have not completed.

      *All terms combined

    • If I withdraw from all my classes, how will that affect my financial aid?

      Financial Aid recipients are required to earn a passing grade in all federally-funded courses. Eligibility for aid must therefore be recalculated if you withdraw from or cease attending all of your classes prior to completing more than 60% of an enrolled term. Withdrawal from all classes not only affects your Satisfactory Academic Progress, but carries various other consequences based upon your “last date of attendance.*” Recalculations in your aid may result in a debt and/or hold placed on your account, based on the percent of the term completed.

      * In this case, the Office of Student Financial Assistance defines the "last date of attendance" as the latest recorded withdrawal on your student account during the semester. (e.g. If you register for two classes, withdraw from one on Monday, and another on Tuesday, then Tuesday is the official "last date of attendance" for that semester.)

    • What does it mean to "complete your program within a 150% timeframe"?

      One of the main components of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the "150% rule." When you attempt more than 150% of the credits required for your primary degree program, you can no longer receive financial aid. For example, if you are in a baccalaureate program, you must complete the program before attempting 180 credits or else your financial aid will be suspended. Many students who return to UAA for a second degree will be considered in violation of the 150% rule. Students in violation of the 150% rule may appeal your suspension of their financial aid through the SAP appeal process. 

    • I’ve got a class that I can’t finish on time and my Professor has agreed to give me an Incomplete. How will this affect my SAP status?

      Your professor may agree to issue an Incomplete grade if you’ve been doing well in your class but aren’t able to complete the class on time for unavoidable reasons. An incomplete grade simply indicates that you haven’t finished all the coursework required for a grade and the professor has agreed to give you until an established deadline to finish it. Unfortunately, until you’re able to finish the class, the incomplete grade will remain on your transcript as attempted but not earned and will count against your completion rate (67% rule).

      Once the outstanding coursework is finished, your professor will replace the incomplete grade with your new earned grade.  You will need to notify the Office of Student Financial Assistance when this is done so we may update your SAP status to reflect the finished coursework. 

    • I’ve already received my award notice and I am already registered for the fall semester. Why am I just now learning about the SAP issue?

      Satisfactory Academic Progress is checked after each semester’s grades become official. During the spring and summer semesters, financial aid is being awarded for the upcoming academic year so students can prepare for their financial needs. If your SAP status changed after your award was generated you will no longer be eligible for the financial aid offered. Changing degree programs may also affect your SAP status and your eligibility for financial aid.

    • I need to know if I can still apply for student loans if my eligibility for financial aid is suspended? I had a couple horrible semesters. Can I still take out a student loan so I can keep going to school?

      At this time you are ineligible for Federal Direct Loans.  However, you may be eligible for an alternative student loan from a private lender. Not all alternative loan lenders require that students be meeting satisfactory academic progress. Contact potential lenders for more information regarding their eligibility requirements. You may also find that the Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal process is appropriate for your circumstances.

    • If I appeal, what are the chances that my appeal will be granted?

      Because appeals are examined on a case-by-case basis we are unable to predict the outcome of your appeal. We recommend students consider appealing their status if they feel they have exceptional or unusual circumstances that affected their ability to meet the minimum SAP standards.

    • Do I have to be admitted into in a degree program to appeal my SAP status?

      Students who are Non-Degree Seeking are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid. To have an appeal considered students must be actively seeking and enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program.

    • Will my transfer credits from other schools count toward my SAP status?

      Yes, credits from other institutions transferred to and accepted by UAA will count towards the Cumulative Completion Rate & 150% Maximum Timeframe SAP standards.

    • I’ve had to repeat several classes, does that affect SAP?

      Repeated courses often impact SAP. Some courses are repeatable for credit, but some courses are not. If a course is repeated for credit, it is counted as both attempted and earned equally. However, if a student repeats a course that is not considered ‘repeatable for credit’, then that course is only earned one time, no matter how many times it is attempted. If you have repeated one or more classes in which you had already received a passing grade (such as a D), the credits are only counted as earned or completed the first time you receive a passing grade. This can negatively impact the 67% completion standard.

    • I’m thinking about changing my major, will that affect my SAP status?

      When students change their degree program or major, all credits previously attempted (including those for any previous degree or major) will be counted in their 150% maximum timeframe calculation. This may mean that you have taken courses that no longer apply to your major but are still counted in your 150% calculation, preventing you from completing your degree within the 150% maximum timeframe for your new major.

    • What is the appeal deadline?

      Since processing appeals takes several weeks, we highly encourage you to submit your appeal and documentation at least a month before the start of the semester, and as soon after meeting with your academic advisor, setting up a degree plan with them, and registering for only those courses your advisor recommends.

      Completed appeal forms and documentation should be submitted generally no later than two weeks prior to the end of the semester for which you are appealing. Please review our Dates and Deadlines schedule to see the SAP Appeal Deadline for the semester in which you hope to receive financial aid.

    • What if I miss the appeal deadline?

      If your appeal is received after the appeal deadline, we recommend contacting your academic advisor to see if an updated appeal and degree plan is needed for the upcoming semester.

    • What happens if a student withdraws during a semester in which they are on financial aid probation?

      If a student withdraws during a semester in which they are on probation, the eligibility will be measured at the end of the semester and the student will be placed on “suspension” from financial aid.

    • I finished all the required classes for my degree last semester, why can’t I receive financial aid this semester?

      Federal Regulations limit financial aid to the classes required for your current degree program. Once a student completes the academic requirements for a program they are no longer eligible for further financial aid for that degree program, whether or not they have received their degree or not.

      Similarly, financial aid and appeals will not be approved for students who have completed thee academic requirements for their program but are taking classes while ‘waiting’ to get into a new program or school.

    • My SAP appeal was just approved, why can’t I take extra fun classes?

      To meet federal regulations and to help students be successful while on probation, UAA requires that students limit their registration to only those classes required for their current degree program.  UAA does this so that students may focus on meeting the stringent requirements of SAP probation.

    • I’m taking several ESL (English as a Second Language) classes.  Will they count toward my SAP status?

      Yes, ESL classes are included in all SAP calculations.  It’s important to note that such courses are included even though they may not apply toward degree completion requirements.  This may negatively impact the 150% maximum timeframe standard.

    • I have been thinking about pursuing a second degree, how will that affect my SAP status?

      When students change their degree program or major, all credits previously attempted (including those for any previous degree or major) will be counted in their 150% maximum timeframe calculation. This may mean that you have taken courses that no longer apply to your major but are still counted in your 150% calculation, preventing you from completing your degree within the 150% maximum timeframe for your new major.

General Financial Aid Terms & FAQs

  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    • What kinds of financial aid are available?

      The Office of Financial Aid processes a wide variety of federal, state, institutional, and private financial aid. For a complete list, see our Types of Aid page.

    • Do I qualify for financial aid?
      Make sure you meet the admissions requirements of the Office of Financial Aid. The basic requirements for all federal aid programs can be found on the the Eligibility page. If you receive aid, you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to qualify for further aid.
    • How do I transfer financial aid?

      Strictly speaking, Financial Aid does not transfer from one school to another. Federal Pell Grant eligibility is largely constant, but all other awards must be re-evaluated at the new school. First, you must send your FAFSA information to the new school. You can do this by logging on to the FAFSA website, and adding the school's information. Alternatively, if you have your Student Aid Report (SAR) you can call 1-800-4-FED-AID and tell them where you want the information sent. You will need the Data Release Number (DRN) from the upper right corner of the SAR.

      After you have sent your information to the new school, contact them and find out what other documents they will need. Make sure you disclose to both schools that you have studied elsewhere, especially if you were disbursed any financial aid during that award year.

    • Does UAA enter into Consortium Agreements with other schools?

      A Consortium Agreement exists between two higher education institutions (a primary "home" campus and a secondary "host" campus) to grant financial aid to a student concurrently attending both schools. UAA does not enter into consortium agreements on behalf of admitted UAA students with institutions outside the University of Alaska system. Therefore, students needing to take courses outside of UAA will need to budget private funds to do so.

      UAA will enter into consortium agreements on behalf of students attending UAA as their host campus.

    • Is there financial aid available for the summer semester?

      To request summer financial aid, please complete a Summer Revision Request form, shortly after Summer registration is made available. Do not submit a Summer Revision form if you are not registered in the classes for which you are requesting aid. The amount of aid offered, the budget, and the eligibility for additional funding are based on your summer credit load, your living arrangements, as well as other variables including residency, aggregate loan limit, and grade level.

      When UAA students apply for financial aid, most are awarded financial aid for the Fall and Spring semesters only. If you plan to attend school in the summer, you may need to budget your aid at the beginning of the academic year. If you need any guidance planning your summer aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid. 

    • What is a Financial Aid hold?
       A Financial Aid Hold is a hold placed on your student account to prevent aid from being released to you. Some holds are temporary, such as a hold where we are waiting on confirmation from the federal government on how much aid you received during the academic year at another college, and others may require some action from you. Some holds can seem like they were place by our office but are indeed from Accounting Services, such as not paying off your student charges by the Payment Deadline. When in doubt, please contact our office for more information. 


     FAFSA and Verification

    • When is the deadline to fill out my FAFSA?

      The deadline for the FAFSA is at the end of the academic year. However, since the FAFSA is the most important requirement for Financial Aid at UAA, filling out the FAFSA early in the year is important for these two reasons:

      1. The University of Alaska uses the FAFSA to determine eligibility for some of our institutional scholarships. You should therefore complete the FAFSA and the UAOnline Scholarship Application by February 15th prior to the start of the academic year.

      2. The State of Alaska uses your FAFSA to determine eligibility for the Alaska Education Grant and the Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) if you complete it before June 30th.

      The FAFSA requires much of the same information as your taxes, so we suggest that you fill out both your taxes and your FAFSA early in the year, by February 15th, so you can apply for UAA scholarships. We highly recommend you use the IRS data retrieval tool when it's available. It lets you pull in your tax information directly from the IRS and helps you avoid errors that could cause processing delays. 

    • How can I avoid making mistakes on my FAFSA?

      Making mistakes on your FAFSA can delay your application or even prevent you from receiving financial aid. The most common errors people make are listed below. As you complete the FAFSA, try to avoid:

      • Leaving blank fields: Please enter a "0," "NA," or "not applicable" instead of leaving a field blank. Too many blanks may cause miscalculations and an application rejection.

      • Using commas or decimal points in numeric fields: Always round to the nearest dollar.

      • Listing incorrect Social Security Number or Driver's license number: Double-check these entries and have someone else check them, too. If your parent is completing the FAFSA for you, make sure they do not enter their own SSN when the application is asking for your (the student’s) SSN.

      • Entering the wrong federal income tax paid amount: Obtain your federal income paid amount from your income tax return forms, not your W-2 form(s). Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when possible.

      • Listing Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as equal to total income: These are not the same figure. In most cases, the AGI is larger than the total income. This mistake is particularly common.

      • Listing marital status incorrectly: Only write "yes" if you are currently married. They want to know what your marital status is on the day you sign the FAFSA, or Renewal FAFSA.

      • Listing parent marital status incorrectly: The custodial parent's marital status is needed; if they've remarried, you'll need the stepparent's information too.

      • Forgetting to list the college: UAA’s federal school code is 011462.

      • Forgetting to sign and date: If you're filling out the paper FAFSA, be sure to sign it. If you're filing electronically, be sure to obtain your FSA ID from the FAFSA. Your FSAID is your electronic signature and will always be assigned to you only. If you are dependent, your parent must also have a FSAID to sign your FAFSA electronically.

      • Entering the wrong address: Your permanent address is not your campus or summer address.

      • Sending in a copy of your income tax returns: You will be contacted if your information needs verification; you don't need to send a copy of your tax returns in with your application.

    • Do I need to report my parents information on the FAFSA?

      This question can cause a great deal of confusion. The simplest answer is "yes" if you are 24 years of age or younger by December 31 of the award year. Click here for a more detailed answer.

      Note: parental Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) information only affects your student financial aid. Official IRS definitions have no bearing on your FAFSA.

    • I match the FAFSA definition of a "Dependent Student" but my parents won't complete the form and/or provide additional information. What should I do?

       If your parent refuses to fill out the FAFSA and they do not support you financially you may still be eligible for financial aid. These reasons are not enough for a dependency override, but we may be able to offer you an unsubsidized loan only.

      Please contact our office for more information as to whether or not your circumstances would apply.

    • What is verification?

      Verification is a process that the Department of Education uses to ensure that FAFSA applications are accurate. Approximately 30% of all applications are selected for verification. If you are selected, we may require submission of:

      • A signed, completed Verification Worksheet
      • Copies of your tax return transcripts
      • Information related to untaxed benefits such as social security or military housing (for those who are active duty only)
      • Documentation of family size
      • Receipt of Food Stamps and child support paid
      • Any other documents that may be needed for your specific situation.

      We compare this information with the data you reported on the FAFSA. If there are discrepancies, we must then correct the data and transmit it to the Department of Education.

    • I've been selected for verification, how do I send in my Tax Return Transcript?
      1. Your UAOnline account will show you what documents you need. If we’re requesting a tax return transcript, you must upload it and attach it to your Verification Worksheet (the link to your Verification Worksheet is in UAOnline). If you’re a dependent student and we’re requesting your parent’s tax transcript, your parent will attach their tax return when they complete their portion of the electronic Verification Worksheet.

      2. Your financial aid administrator will compare information on these documents and make corrections to your FAFSA as necessary. Once completed, UAA will proceed to packaging resources available for your use.

      3. Continue to check your Financial Aid Status on UAOnline and UAA email frequently. After reviewing your verification paperwork, we may request additional information in order to resolve conflicting information or other issues with your FAFSA. 

    • Technical Help - How do I upload and attach a document to an online verification form?

      If you have access to a scanner that scans multiple pages at the same time, you can scan the document, save it as a PDF and upload it to your verification form before submitting. The UAA Consortium Library has a free scanner available that will save scans to your USB drive or have them sent to your email address.

       If you have access to a scanner that makes each page into a separate .png/jpeg (or similar) file type, you can combine them into one PDF and upload them. Here’s an external website that will walk you through the steps: How to combine files into one PDF

      If you do not have access to a scanner and own a smartphone, there are a number of free apps you can download that will allow you to take pictures of documents and combine them into one file. An example app is CamScanner. It is available on both Android and iOS devices. It allows you to take pictures of your documents, which are then combined into one file that you can upload to your verification worksheet.

       For more information on how to scan documents, visit UAA’s Information Technology Services How to Scan Images Webpage.

    • What is the deadline to complete verification?

      For priority processing and to ensure awards will be packaged before the payment deadline, students must submit all pertinent verification documents prior to July 1 of the academic year in which they are applying. You may still turn in documents after July 1, but we cannot guarantee they will be processed before the payment deadline. The deadline to submit completed verification documents is 30 days from the last date of enrollment, or the last business day in August - whichever come first. The deadline for all Financial Aid eligibility for a specific academic year is also the last day of August.

      Failure to submit all required documents will cause processing delays. Not only will it delay all disbursements of federal aid but it will also prevent disbursement of several types of state and institutional aid. Lastly, Students are required to put their UAA ID number on each page of all documents submitted to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.


     The Awarding Process 

    • I have received an award letter, and I have accepted my award... Now what?

      Financial Aid awards are disbursed approximately ten days prior to the start of the semester. The actual date that you receive your check/direct deposit can vary.

      If you have accepted Federal Stafford loans you will need to go to and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You must complete a separate MPN for each of the following loan-types you borrow:

      • Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Loans
      • Graduate PLUS loans
      • Parent PLUS loans

      For more information on loans, see our Student Loans page. Also, see our list of Loan Vocabulary.

    • What are the differences between grants, scholarships, and loans?

      Grants and scholarships are both "Gift Aid" — money that you do not have to earn by working and generally does not need to be repaid.

      • A grant is primarily based on financial need, which can mean different things based on the type of grant, i.e. federal, state. or UAA program.
      • A scholarship is usually based, at least in part, on merit.
        • A tuition waiver is a specific type of scholarship that only pays for tuition — not fees or any other student expenses.
      • A loan is a type of financial aid that must be repaid with interest by the student. The repayment is usually after the student leaves school or drops below half-time enrollment.
    • Where can I get information about scholarships?
      The deadline for application to UAA and UA Statewide Scholarships is February 15th before the start of the academic year. The main scholarship application is available via UAOnline. If you are an Alaskan Native, check with your corporation for more information about specific scholarships they may offer. If you are Native American from outside Alaska, check with your Tribal Government. You can also look in the local areas such as your high school counselor, Rotary, Kiwanis and Lions Clubs. Be aware of deadlines when you are applying for scholarships.
    • I submitted my FAFSA, so why haven't I been awarded yet?

      There are many possible reasons. Some of the most common are:

      • Forgetting to list UAA's Federal Title IV code (011462) on the FAFSA
      • Not responding to requests for information. Generally all work stops on your file until the requested information is received. Check UAOnline to see if you need to submit additional information.
      • Lack of an Admissions Application
      • Insufficient Academic Progress (SAP)


     Federal Loans

    • What are the differences between Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans?

      The federal government pays the interest accumulating on Subsidized Loans while you are enrolled in school at least half-time or during other approved deferment periods.

      An Unsubsidized Loan begins accumulating interest from the time the loan is disbursed. Students have the option of paying the unsubsidized interest before they enter repayment, otherwise the interest will be capitalized.


    • What is Loan Entrance Counseling?
      Loan Entrance Counseling is designed to inform you of the rights and responsibilities associated with your student loan. All first-time borrowers at UAA are required to "Complete a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)" on the Federal Student Aid website before the loan can be disbursed. This process can be completed online in about 20 minutes.
    • Why has the Financial Aid Office decreased my loan due to grade level?

      The Financial Aid Office packages loan amounts/limits based on the grade level you have indicated on your FAFSA (i.e. Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior). If we determine that your actual grade level differs from what you have reported, the Financial Aid Office must revise your loans accordingly. Students who have a Junior/Senior standing but are admitted into a two year/associates' degree program can only receive loans at a Sophomore level.


     Refund & Disbursement

    • My financial aid is more than my tuition bill, so what happens to the extra money?
      If the total of your financial aid is greater than the amount of your bill, you will receive a refund. You may select to have your refunds sent to your bank account by setting up a direct deposit via UAOnline. Otherwise, we will mail a refund check to the permanent address you have given UAA. It is therefore very important to keep your address up to date on UAOnline. Excess financial aid can not typically be used to pay for previous balances, according to Federal Regulations. If you owe an outstanding balance, contact the Office of Financial Aid for the best advice on your available options.
    • How do I know if my refund has been direct deposited?

      You can check to see if your financial aid refund has been direct deposited via UAOnline. To do so:

      • Log in to UAOnline.
      • Select the "Student Services & Account Information" Tab. 
      • Select "Direct Deposit Services"
      • Select "Review your direct deposits"
      • Select the fiscal year from the drop down menu that you wish to view and then hit "Display"
      • Each direct deposit that has been applied to your bank account will be listed.  The "Process Date" is the date the money was deposited.
    • Where's my refund? I was told my financial aid would disburse today but I don't have my check or a direct deposit.

      The disbursement date for financial aid is the date that UAA can request the money and apply it to your UAOnline student account. It is not the day that you should expect to receive a refund. The earliest that UAA can disburse your financial aid is ten days before the first day of each semester. After that, the Disbursement Office must generate a check or direct deposit. This generally takes between 5 and 7 business days.

      Therefore, if your financial aid is in order before the scheduled and published disbursement date (i.e. you have no outstanding paperwork to be completed, you are admitted, in good SAP, etc.), you should expect to see your refund no earlier than the first day of class.

    • I received a non-UAA scholarship. Where should the donor send the check, so it can be applied to my student account?

       Instructions for Scholarship Donors

      • Private (non-UAA) scholarship checks are processed by the Accounting Services Office, and not Financial Aid.
      • Please make check payable to: University of Alaska Anchorage or UAA. If checks are made out to student, university and student or otherwise, anticipate delays in processing.
      • Instructions or award letters MUST accompany checks that include:
        • Recipients full name
        • Student's UAA ID number (Do NOT include student's SSN, it violates UAA FERPA compliance). You may use last four digits of SSN and DOB if unable to provide UAA ID number.
        • Specific term awarded
        • Any additional requirements such as GPA or number of credits enrolled
      Note: UAA will do our best to comply with the donor requirements, but only to the point of award to the student account. It is up to the donor to track the student progress or otherwise beyond the point of award. Additionally, donors are encouraged to ONLY include pertinent, relevant requirements in their award letter..
      • Checks should be mailed to:
        UAA Accounting Services, Attn: Scholarships
        PO Box 141609, Anchorage AK 99514
      • ACH/EFT scholarship funds should forward student roster to the accounting services email,
    • I can see that a scholarship I received from a non-UAA donor is on my UAOnline award screen. When will it be deposited into my student account?

      Private Donor Scholarships

      The UAA Accounting Disbursement's Office processes paper scholarship checks received from private donors. 

      Scholarship checks that have been received by the Accounting Services Office will be applied to your student account beginning 10 calendar days before the semester being awarded. Checks must be received (and signed if necessary) BEFORE the "UAA Payment Deadline" in order to avoid late fees. 


     Cost of Attendance

    • Some of my funding was returned because I "received additional resources"... Why?

      "Additional resources" are any sources of money that you have received which were not factored into your cost of attendance estimate. If additional resources become available to you, the Office of Financial Aid may reduce previously paid or anticipated awards in order to keep the student's aid package within the estimated cost. If additional resources become available to you at any time during the enrollment period that exceed your eligibility for assistance, federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to reduce previous awards that have been previously offered and or disbursed (this does include grants, scholarships, and loan funding).

      All or part of any loan funds may be returned to the lender if additional resources become available to you that were not originally considered when eligibility for the loan was determined. Returned funds will therefore be applied to reduce your loan debt. Undisbursed, anticipated loan funds may also be canceled or reduced prior to disbursement, if these resources exceed the need calculation. 

    • What if my income has been reduced due to life circumstances, or I've lost my job?
      • If you have already completed the FAFSA and your income has been reduced due to life circumstances or because you have lost your job, you can complete the Request for Income Override Form.
      • Make sure you complete the FAFSA and answer all the questions prior to submitting your Request for Income Override Form. Remember that a blank field is not automatically counted as 0 when entering dollar amounts into your FAFSA. 
  • Glossary of Common Terms


    This glossary lists terminology commonly used at UAA. 
    For additional terminology please visit the U.S. Department of Education Official Glossary

    • General
      Term Definition

      Additional Resources

      Any sources of money that students have received which were not factored into their cost of attendance estimate.
      Alaska Commission on Post-Secondary Education (ACPE) ACPE Website
      Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) Alaska Performance Scholarship Website
      Aid Offer Letter Letter sent each award year to students informing them of their award status and policies.
      Award Year The year for which a student receives a specific type of financial aid. For federal aid, Award Years usually begin on July 1st ends June 30th.
      Budget Forecast Estimation of the cost of attendance or a student to attend the university during a specific award year.
      Census Date (Add/Drop Deadline) The date that enrollment and the Federal Pell Grant award amount are locked for financial aid purposes. UAA's "census date" is at 5 PM on the Add/Drop Deadline.
      Consortium Agreement A Consortium Agreement is an official agreement between two higher education institutions (a primary/"home" institution, and a secondary/"host" institution) to grant financial aid to a student concurrently attending both schools.
      Cost of Attendance or "Budget" An estimate of how much money the university expects a student will need to pay for college — including living expenses — throughout an academic year.
      Data Retrieval Tool Simple Steps to Transfer Tax Information into FAFSA.
      Dependency Dependency Status refers to whether a FAFSA applicant is dependent or independent. 
      Disbursement The process of "disbursing" or applying financial aid to a student's UAA account.
      Emergency Loan Fund (ELF) Designed primarily to assist students through funds for books or other school- related costs during the first three weeks of the semester. - PROGRAM DISCONTINUED in 2018-2019
      Expected Family Contribution (EFC) A measure of your family's financial strength, calculated from your family's taxed and untaxed income, assets, and benefits (such as unemployment or Social Security).
      Federal Work Study (FWS) Federally-subsidized employment through the university.
      Financial Aid Authorization A form that allows students to authorize the use of Federal Financial Aid to cover non-institutional charges such as: housing damages, parking permits, or any charges not directly tied to taking a class. This form also allows students to authorize use of Federal Financial Aid to prior-year charges.
      Financial Aid Probation Status of students whose SAP Appeals we were permitted to approve but are not yet officially reinstated. Students on probation must meet with an advisor and follow a strict degree plan created for them in UAOnline - DegreeWorks.
      Financial Aid Assistance in the form of money for students attending the university.
      Financial Need A specific financial aid status according to the information on a student's FAFSA.
      Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) Free form used to assess federal and many non-federal aid award amounts.
      Gainful Employment Disclosure Disclosure of information regarding post-educational employment.
      Gift Aid Aid that is given to a student which does not need to repaid.
      Grant Gift aid based on financial need.
      Overaward Refund Return of funds over the estimated cost of attendance. This risk can happen throughout the semester if some awards, like private scholarships, are received after federal or state aid has already been released. In some cases, a return of federal/state aid is required. UAA will do everything we can to try to avoid returning funds and creating a debt on a student account.
      Overaward When students are inadvertently awarded more financial aid than their cost of attendance.
      Professional Judgment (PJ) A Financial Aid administrator's judgment whether students' special circumstances exempt them from their FAFSA status.
      Proration When aid is calculated according to credit load and other aid-specific requirements.
      Refund Disbursement of financial aid funds directly to the student for non-university expenses.
      Revision Any change made to financial aid that has already been awarded, either increase or decrease.
      Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) A measurement of academic progress and participation in all college classes for financial aid purposes. Even classes taken at another non-UAA college/university can influence your SAP status at UAA. Working with an advisor will help you make academic decisions to keep you in a financial aid eligible SAP state.
      Scholarship "Free" financial aid, can be based on academic performance, financial need, or family or student membership, or demographic details.
      Title IV Higher Education Act of 1965 definition Federal Loan, Grant, and Work Study Programs.
      Tuition Waiver "Free" University of Alaska financial aid that may only be used to pay for tuition.
      Unusual Educational History (UEH) FAFSAs that are flagged by the U.S. Department of History as potentially fraudulent.
      Verification The process of reviewing the accuracy of information reported on a student's FAFSA.
    • Student Loans
      Term Definition
      Aggregate Loan Limit: The maximum amount you can borrow in Federal Student Loan money over your lifetime.
      Capitalization of Interest: The addition of unpaid interest to the principal balance of a loan. When the interest is not paid as it accrues during periods of in-school status, the grace period, deferment, or forbearance, your lender may capitalize the interest. This increases the outstanding principal amount due on the loan and may cause your monthly payment amount to increase. Interest is then charged on that higher principal balance, increasing the overall cost of the loan.
      Default: Failure to repay a loan according to the terms agreed to in the promissory note. For most federal student loans, you will default if you have not made a payment in more than 270 days. You may experience serious legal consequences if you default.
      Deferment: A postponement of payment on a loan that is allowed under certain conditions and during which interest does not accrue on Direct Subsidized Loans, Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans, and Federal Perkins Loans. All other federal student loans that are deferred will continue to accrue interest. Any unpaid interest that accrued during the deferment period may be added to the principal balance (capitalized) of the loan(s).
      Delinquent: A loan is delinquent when loan payments are not received by the due dates. A loan remains delinquent until the borrower makes up the missed payment(s) through payment, deferment, or forbearance. If the borrower is unable to make payments, he or she should contact his or her loan servicer to discuss options to keep the loan in good standing.
      Direct Consolidation Loan:

      Allow borrowers to combine one or more of their Federal education loans into a new loan that offers several advantages:

      1. One Lender and One Monthly Payment: With only one lender and one monthly bill, it is easier than ever for borrowers to manage their debt. Borrowers have only one lender, the U.S. Department of Education, for all loans included in a Direct Consolidation Loan.

      2. Flexible Repayment Options: Borrowers can choose from multiple plans to repay their Direct Consolidation Loan, including plans that base the required monthly payment amount on the borrower's income. These plans are designed to be flexible to meet the different and changing needs of borrowers. With a Direct Consolidation Loan, borrowers can switch repayment plans at any time.

      3. No Minimum or Maximum Loan Amounts or Fees: There is no minimum amount required to qualify for a Direct Consolidation Loan! In addition, consolidation is free.

      4. Reduced Monthly Payments: A Direct Consolidation Loan may ease the strain on a borrower's budget by lowering the borrower's overall monthly payment. The minimum monthly payment on a Direct Consolidation Loan may be lower than the combined payments charged on a borrower's Federal education loans.

      5. More information about consolidation loans may be found at Federal Student Aid Consolidation Loans.

      Direct Loan: A federal student loan, for which eligible students and parents borrow directly from the U.S. Department of Education at participating schools. Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, Direct PLUS Loans and Direct Consolidation Loans are types of Direct Loans.
      Direct PLUS Loans: Made to graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students. The borrower is fully responsible for paying the interest regardless of the loan status. A credit check is required for the borrower.
      Direct Subsidized Loans: Based on financial need, the federal government pays the interest that accrues while the borrower is in an in-school or deferment status. (Interest accruing during your grace period depends on when your loan was dispersed- check with your loan servicer for more info on your specific loan(s) and grace period interest accrual). If offered, take these out first.
      Direct Unsubsidized Loans: The borrower is fully responsible for paying the interest, regardless of the loan status. Interest on unsubsidized loans accrues from the date of disbursement and continues throughout the life of the loan. Financial need is not required. A credit check is not required.
      Federal Student Loan: A student loan funded by the federal government to help pay for your education. A federal student loan is borrowed money you must repay with interest.
      Financial Need: The difference between the cost of attendance (COA) at a school and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your EFC is determined by your completed FAFSA. While COA varies from school to school, your EFC does not change based on the school you attend.
      Forbearance: A period during which your monthly loan payments are temporarily suspended or reduced. Your lender may grant you a forbearance if you are willing but unable to make loan payments due to certain types of financial hardships. During forbearance, principal payments are postponed but interest continues to accrue. Unpaid interest that accrues during the forbearance will be added to the principal balance (capitalized) of your loan(s), increasing the total amount you owe.
      Grace Period: A period of time after borrowers graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment where they are not required to make payments on certain federal student loans. Some federal student loans will accrue interest during the grace period, and if the interest is unpaid, it will be added to the principal balance of the loan when the repayment period begins.
      Interest: The cost to borrow money. The expense is calculated as a percentage of the unpaid principal amount of the loan.
      Interest Rate: The rate at which interest is paid by a borrower for the use of money that they borrow from a lender. Specifically, the interest rate is a percentage of principal to be paid.
      Lender: The organization that made the loan initially; in the case of Federal Direct Student Loans, the lender is the U.S. Department of Education.
      Loan Fee: A fee charged for each student loan you receive that is a percentage of the total loan amount you are borrowing (gross amount). The loan fee is deducted proportionately from each disbursement of your loan. This reduces the actual loan amount you receive (net amount).
      Loan Servicer: A company that collects payments, responds to customer service inquiries, and performs other administrative tasks associated with maintaining a federal student loan on behalf of a lender. This is who your loan payments go to.
      Minimum Monthly Payment The smallest payment you can make towards your unpaid balance to remain in good standing with the credit card company. Making the minimum monthly payment on time will avoid late fees and positively affect your repayment history on your credit report. The amount of the minimum monthly payment is calculated as a small percentage of your total credit balance and you can find this on your monthly statement.
      Principal: The total sum of money borrowed plus any interest that has been capitalized.
      Promissory Note: The binding legal document that you must sign when you get a federal student loan. It lists the terms and conditions under which you agree to repay the loan and explains your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. It's important to read and save this document because you'll need to refer to it later when you begin repaying your loan or at other times when you need information about provisions of the loan, such as deferment or forbearance.
      Subsidized Usage Limit Applies (SULA)

      In addition to the aggregate loan limit, there is also a time limit on how long a student can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. The maximum eligibility period is based on the length of the current program of study and can change if the program is switched to one of a different length. This may cause a student to become responsible for the interest that accrued on the loan, when the US Dept of Ed usually would have paid it. 

    • Miscellaneous Terms
      Term Definition
      Academic Transcript: Official document describing the academic history of a student.
      Academic Year: Combination of the Fall and Spring semesters. Many types of Financial Aid apply to the academic year as opposed to one semester. Summer is not considered part of the Academic Year, and Summer Aid therefore falls within a different type of aid.
      Admission: Formal recognition as a student in the university.
      Certificate Program: A program that results in a certificate upon completion (as opposed to a degree.)
      Degree-Seeking: A student who is formally admitted into a program that results in a degree upon completion (as opposed to a certificate.)

      Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA):

      Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records.
      Grade Level:

      A measure of the amount of their education that a student has achieved, similar to class standing.

      Student Account: The complete UA history and filed information of a student.
      UAOnline: Website linked with Banner where students can access information about their financial aid status.
      Withdrawal: The process of dropping out of a class after it begins and has progressed into the third week. This act carries various financial aid consequences and could result in a student repaying money already received.