Contact via Phone and Email: Closed to In-person Traffic

The Financial Aid Office is temporarily closed to walk-in traffic due to statewide and local measures to contain the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). The call center is operational and staff are available to take your call Monday - Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Once restrictions have lifted, our office will be located in the new Enrollment Services Center on the UAA main campus.

Try finding your question in the list below and we may be able to give you a quick answer! Questions about Satisfactory Academic Progress are on the SAP webpage.

Question Categories

General Financial Aid Questions

  • What kinds of financial aid are available?

    The Office of Financial Aid processes a wide variety of federal, state, institutional, and private financial aid. For a complete list, see our Types of Aid page.


  • Do I qualify for financial aid?

    Check here to make sure you meet the admissions requirements of the Office of Financial Aid. The basic requirements for all federal aid programs can be found on the the studentaid.ed.gov Eligibility page. If you receive aid, you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to qualify for further aid. 

  • How do I apply for financial aid?
    For detailed steps on applying for financial aid at UAA, see our Financial Aid Checklist!
  • How do I transfer financial aid?

    Strictly speaking, Financial Aid does not transfer from one school to another. Federal Pell Grant eligibility is largely constant, but all other awards must be re-evaluated at the new school. First, you must send your FAFSA information to the new school. You can do this by logging on to the FAFSA website, and adding the school's information. Alternatively, if you have your Student Aid Report (SAR) you can call 1-800-4-FED-AID and tell them where you want the information sent. You will need the Data Release Number (DRN) from the upper right corner of the SAR.

    After you have sent your information to the new school, contact them and find out what other documents they will need. Make sure you disclose to both schools that you have studied elsewhere, especially if you were disbursed any financial aid during that award year.

  • Is there financial aid available for the summer semester?

    To request summer financial aid, please complete a Summer Revision Request form, shortly after Summer registration is made available. Do not submit a Summer Revision form if you are not registered in the classes for which you are requesting aid. The amount of aid offered, the budget, and the eligibility for additional funding are based on your summer credit load, your living arrangements, as well as other variables including residency, aggregate loan limit, and grade level.

    When UAA students apply for financial aid, most are awarded financial aid for the Fall and Spring semesters only. If you plan to attend school in the summer, you may need to budget your aid at the beginning of the academic year. If you need any guidance planning your summer aid, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.


  • What is a Financial Aid hold?
     For more information on Financial Aid holds, please see our policies page.


FAFSA and Verification Questions

  • When is the deadline to fill out my FAFSA?

    The deadline for the FAFSA is at the end of the academic year. However, since the FAFSA is the most important requirement for Financial Aid at UAA, filling out the FAFSA early in the year is important for these two reasons:

    1. The University of Alaska uses the FAFSA to determine eligibility for some of our institutional scholarships. You should therefore complete the FAFSA and the UAOnline Scholarship Application by February 15th prior to the start of the academic year.

    2. The State of Alaska uses your FAFSA to determine eligibility for the Alaska Education Grant and the Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) if you complete it before June 30th.

    The FAFSA requires much of the same information as your taxes, so we suggest that you fill out both your taxes and your FAFSA early in the year, by February 15th, so you can apply for UAA scholarships. We highly recommend you use the IRS data retrieval tool when it's available. It lets you pull in your tax information directly from the IRS and helps you avoid errors that could cause processing delays. 

  • How can I avoid making mistakes on my FAFSA?

    Making mistakes on your FAFSA can delay your application or even prevent you from receiving financial aid. The most common errors people make are listed below. As you complete the FAFSA, try to avoid:

    • Leaving blank fields: Please enter a "0," "NA," or "not applicable" instead of leaving a field blank. Too many blanks may cause miscalculations and an application rejection.

    • Using commas or decimal points in numeric fields: Always round to the nearest dollar.

    • Listing incorrect Social Security Number or Driver's license number: Double-check these entries and have someone else check them, too. If your parent is completing the FAFSA for you, make sure they do not enter their own SSN when the application is asking for your (the student’s) SSN.

    • Entering the wrong federal income tax paid amount: Obtain your federal income paid amount from your income tax return forms, not your W-2 form(s). Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when possible.

    • Listing Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) as equal to total income: These are not the same figure. In most cases, the AGI is larger than the total income. This mistake is particularly common.

    • Listing marital status incorrectly: Only write "yes" if you are currently married. They want to know what your marital status is on the day you sign the FAFSA, or Renewal FAFSA.

    • Listing parent marital status incorrectly: The custodial parent's marital status is needed; if they've remarried, you'll need the stepparent's information too.

    • Forgetting to list the college: UAA’s federal school code is 011462.

    • Forgetting to sign and date: If you're filling out the paper FAFSA, be sure to sign it. If you're filing electronically, be sure to obtain your FSAID from the FAFSA. Your FSAID is your electronic signature and will always be assigned to you only. If you are dependent, your parent must also have a FSAID to sign your FAFSA electronically.

    • Entering the wrong address: Your permanent address is not your campus or summer address.

    • Sending in a copy of your income tax returns: You will be contacted if your information needs verification; you don't need to send a copy of your tax returns in with your application.

  • Do I need to report my parents information on the FAFSA?

    This question can cause a great deal of confusion. The simplest answer is "yes" if you are 24 years of age or younger by December 31 of the award year. Click here for a more detailed answer.

    Note: parental Free Application for Financial Student Aid (FAFSA) information only affects your student financial aid. Official IRS definitions have no bearing on your FAFSA.

  • I match the FAFSA definition of a "Dependent Student" but my parents won't complete the form and/or provide additional information. What should I do?

     If your parent refuses to fill out the FAFSA and they do not support you financially you may still be eligible for financial aid. These reasons are not enough for a dependency override, but we may be able to offer you an unsubsidized loan only.

    Please contact our office for more information as to whether or not your circumstances would apply.

  • What is verification?

    Verification is a process that the Department of Education uses to ensure that FAFSA applications are accurate. Approximately 30% of all applications are selected for verification. If you are selected, we may require submission of:

    • A signed, completed Verification Worksheet
    • Copies of your tax return transcripts
    • Information related to untaxed benefits such as social security or military housing (for those who are active duty only)
    • Documentation of family size
    • Receipt of Food Stamps and child support paid
    • Any other documents that may be needed for your specific situation.

    We compare this information with the data you reported on the FAFSA. If there are discrepancies, we must then correct the data and transmit it to the Department of Education.

  • I've been selected for verification, how do I send in my Tax Return Transcript?
    1. Your UAOnline account will show you what documents you need. If we’re requesting a tax return transcript, you must upload it and attach it to your Verification Worksheet (the link to your Verification Worksheet is in UAOnline). If you’re a dependent student and we’re requesting your parent’s tax transcript, your parent will attach their tax return when they complete their portion of the electronic Verification Worksheet.

    2. Your financial aid administrator will compare information on these documents and make corrections to your FAFSA as necessary. Once completed, UAA will proceed to packaging resources available for your use.

    3. Continue to check your Financial Aid Status on UAOnline and UAA email frequently. After reviewing your verification paperwork, we may request additional information in order to resolve conflicting information or other issues with your FAFSA. 

  • Technical Help - How do I upload and attach a document to an online verification form?

    If you have access to a scanner that scans multiple pages at the same time, you can scan the document, save it as a PDF and upload it to your verification form before submitting. The UAA Consortium Library has a free scanner available that will save scans to your USB drive or have them sent to your email address.

     If you have access to a scanner that makes each page into a separate .png/jpeg (or similar) file type, you can combine them into one PDF and upload them. Here’s an external website that will walk you through the steps: How to combine files into one PDF

    If you do not have access to a scanner and own a smartphone, there are a number of free apps you can download that will allow you to take pictures of documents and combine them into one file. An example app is CamScanner. It is available on both Android and iOS devices. It allows you to take pictures of your documents, which are then combined into one file that you can upload to your verification worksheet.

     For more information on how to scan documents, visit UAA’s Information Technology Services How to Scan Images Webpage.

  • What is the deadline to complete verification?

    For priority processing and to ensure awards will be packaged before the payment deadline, students must submit all pertinent verification documents prior to July 1 of the academic year in which they are applying. You may still turn in documents after July 1, but we cannot guarantee they will be processed before the payment deadline. The deadline to submit completed verification documents is 30 days from the last date of enrollment, or the last business day in August - whichever come first. The deadline for all Financial Aid eligibility for a specific academic year is also the last day of August.

    Failure to submit all required documents will cause processing delays. Not only will it delay all disbursements of federal aid but it will also prevent disbursement of several types of state and institutional aid. Lastly, Students are required to put their UAA ID number on each page of all documents submitted to the Office of Student Financial Assistance.


Awarding Process Questions

  • I have received an award letter, and I have accepted my award... Now what?

    Financial Aid awards are disbursed approximately ten days prior to the start of the semester. The actual date that you receive your check/direct deposit can vary.

    If you have accepted Federal Stafford loans you will need to go to StudentLoans.gov and complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN). You must complete a separate MPN for each of the following loan-types you borrow:

    • Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Loans
    • Graduate PLUS loans
    • Parent PLUS loans

    For more information on loans, see our Student Loans page. Also, see our list of Loan Vocabulary.

  • What are the differences between grants, scholarships, and loans?

    Grants and scholarships are both "Gift Aid" — money that you do not have to earn by working and generally does not need to be repaid.

    • A grant is primarily based on financial need

    • A scholarship is usually based, at least in part, on merit.

      • A tuition waiver is a specific type of scholarship that only pays for tuition — not fees or any other student expenses.

    • A loan is a type of financial aid that must be repaid with interest by the student. The repayment is usually after the student leaves school or drops below half-time enrollment.

  • Where can I get information about scholarships?
    The best source for information on UAA scholarships is the UAA Scholarship website. The deadline for application to UAA and UA Statewide Scholarships is February 15th before the start of the academic year. The main scholarship application is available via UAOnline. If you are an Alaskan Native, check with your corporation for more information about specific scholarships they may offer. If you are Native American from outside Alaska, check with your Tribal Government. You can also look in the local areas such as your high school counselor, Rotary, Kiwanis and Lions Clubs. Be aware of deadlines when you are applying for scholarships.
  • I submitted my FAFSA, so why haven't I been awarded yet?

    There are many possible reasons. Some of the most common are:

    • Forgetting to list UAA's Federal Title IV code (011462) on the FAFSA
    • Not responding to requests for information. Generally all work stops on your file until the requested information is received. Check UAOnline to see if you need to submit additional information.
    • Lack of an Admissions Application
    • Insufficient Academic Progress (SAP)


Federal Loan Questions


Refund & Disbursement Questions

  • My financial aid is more than my tuition bill, so what happens to the extra money?
    If the total of your financial aid is greater than the amount of your bill, you will receive a refund. You may select to have your refunds sent to your bank account by setting up a direct deposit via UAOnline. Otherwise, we will mail a refund check to the permanent address you have given UAA. It is therefore very important to keep your address up to date on UAOnline. Excess financial aid can not typically be used to pay for previous balances, according to Federal Regulations. If you owe an outstanding balance, contact the Office of Financial Aid for the best advice on your available options.
  • How do I know if my refund has been direct deposited?

    You can check to see if your financial aid refund has been direct deposited via UAOnline. To do so:

    • Log in to UAOnline.
    • Select the "Student Services & Account Information" Tab. 
    • Select "Direct Deposit Services"
    • Select "Review your direct deposits"
    • Select the fiscal year from the drop down menu that you wish to view and then hit "Display"
    • Each direct deposit that has been applied to your bank account will be listed.  The "Process Date" is the date the money was deposited.
  • Where's my refund? I was told my financial aid would disburse today but I don't have my check or a direct deposit.

    The disbursement date for financial aid is the date that UAA can request the money and apply it to your student account. It is not the day that you should expect to receive a refund. The earliest that UAA can disburse your financial aid is ten days before the first day of each semester. After that, the Disbursement Office must generate a check or direct deposit. This generally takes between 5 and 7 business days.

    Therefore, if your financial aid is in order before the scheduled and published disbursement date (i.e. you have no outstanding paperwork to be completed, you are admitted, in good SAP, etc.), you should expect to see your refund no earlier than the first day of class.

  • I received a non-UAA scholarship. Where should the donor send the check, so it can be applied to my student account?

     Instructions for Scholarship Donors

    • Private (non-UAA) scholarship checks are processed by the Accounting Services Office, and not Financial Aid.
    • Please make check payable to: University of Alaska Anchorage or UAA. If checks are made out to student, university and student or otherwise, anticipate delays in processing.
    • Instructions or award letters MUST accompany checks that include:
      • Recipients full name
      • Student's UAA ID number (Do NOT include student's SSN, it violates UAA FERPA compliance). You may use last four digits of SSN and DOB if unable to provide UAA ID number.
      • Specific term awarded
      • Any additional requirements such as GPA or number of credits enrolled
    Note: UAA will do our best to comply with the donor requirements, but only to the point of award to the student account. It is up to the donor to track the student progress or otherwise beyond the point of award. Additionally, donors are encouraged to ONLY include pertinent, relevant requirements in their award letter.
    • If your award does not have specific awarding requirements, you may choose to use the Private Donor Award Form which provides us with the general information needed to process the award.
    • Checks should be mailed to:
      UAA Accounting Services, Attn: Scholarships
      PO Box 141609, Anchorage AK 99514
    • ACH/EFT scholarship funds should forward student roster to the accounting services email, uaa_acctsv@uaa.alaska.edu
  • I can see that a scholarship I received from a non-UAA donor is on my UAOnline award screen. When will it be deposited into my student account?

    Private Donor Scholarships

    The UAA Accounting Disbursement's Office processes paper scholarship checks received from private donors.

    Scholarship checks will be applied to your student account AFTER the add/drop deadline for the semester being awarded. Checks must be received (and signed if necessary) BEFORE the payment deadline in order to avoid late fees. 


Cost of Attendance Questions

  • Some of my funding was returned because I "received additional resources"... Why?

    "Additional resources" are any sources of money that you have received which were not factored into your cost of attendance estimate. If additional resources become available to you, the Office of Financial Aid may reduce previously paid or anticipated awards in order to keep the student's aid package within the estimated cost. If additional resources become available to you at any time during the enrollment period that exceed your eligibility for assistance, federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid to reduce previous awards that have been previously offered and or disbursed (this does include grants, scholarships, and loan funding).

    All or part of any loan funds may be returned to the lender if additional resources become available to you that were not originally considered when eligibility for the loan was determined. Returned funds will therefore be applied to reduce your loan debt. Undisbursed, anticipated loan funds may also be canceled or reduced prior to disbursement, if these resources exceed the need calculation.


  • What if my income has been reduced due to life circumstances, or I've lost my job?
    • If you have already completed the FAFSA and your income has been reduced due to life circumstances or because you have lost your job, you can complete the Request for Income Override Form.

    • Make sure you complete the FAFSA and answer all the questions prior to submitting your Request for Income Override Form. Remember that a blank field is not automatically counted as 0 when entering dollar amounts into your FAFSA.