Biological Sciences Seminar Series
The Department of Biological Sciences hosts an active program of biological sciences seminars. All of our seminars are held in the ConocoPhillips Integrated Sciences Building on Fridays at 3:30 pm in CPSB 120, unless noted otherwise. Our seminar series are free and open to the public. On Fridays parking is free at UAA.
- September 3: Dr. Jason Burkhead, University of Alaska Anchorage "Copper deviciency and toxicity in human liver disease"
- September 17: Dr. Mark Rains, University of South Florida "Groundwater Subsidies to Salmonid Streams: A Decade+ of Collaborative Science and Outcomes in Alaska"
- October 15: Dr. Julie Maresca, University of Delaware "Hard Microbiology: Polyextremophilic microbes in concrete"
- November 5: Dr. Mecky Pohlschroder, University of Pennsylvania "What bioinfomatics and big data have revealed about Archaea"
- November 19: Dr. Dan Ruthruaff, USGS "TBA"
- Spring 2021 Presentations
- March 25: Dr. Erin Larson, Alaska Pacific University "Danger in the Mountains: Disturbance Effects on Biodiversity in Tropical and Temperate Montane Streams"
- March 5: Dr. Sarah Gerken, University of Alaska Anchorage "Antarctic Cumacea"
- Fall 2020 Presentations
- October 30: Dr. Kathleen Scott, University of South Florida "Surprising diversity in dissolved inorganic carbon uptake by bacteria"
- November 6: Dr. Eric Bortz, UAA Biological Sciences "Update on the pathogenesis and spread of COVID-19 in Alaska: from genomics to vaccines"
- November 13: Dr. Cecilia Martinez Gomez, UC Berkley "Thriving with lanthanides: New life metals in methylotrophy"
- November 20: Dr. Kirsten Grond, UAA Biological Sciences "The ins and outs of the avian gut microbiome: Why birds matter"
- December 4: Meg Howard "Chasing Coronaviruses 2002-2020"
Lecture titles are linked to video recordings of the presentation.
Location & Directions
Subscribe to the Biological Sciences Seminars mailing list.