You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Biological Sciences Seminar Series
The Department of Biological Sciences hosts an active program of biological sciences seminars. Seminars are held on Zoom or Facebook live on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of each month at 3:30 pm. Our seminar series are free and open to the public.
- January 21: Dr. Garfield Kwan, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, "How Ocean Acidification Promotes Otolith Biomineralization in Teleost Fish"
- February 4: Ariel Pezner, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, "Coral Reef Hypoxia: Projections Under Warming and Impacts on Coral Growth"
- February 18: Dr. Carl Roland, National Park Service, "The intersection of chance and design – monitoring vegetation over space and time in central Alaska’s parklands"
- March 4: Dr. Doug Causey, University of Alaska Anchorage, "The dynamics of waterfowl populations and subsistence hunting in the Yukon-Kuskokwim delta"
- March 18: Dr. Barbara Wortham, UC Berkley, "How is photorespiration recorded in trees? Lessons from the Los Angeles Basin, CA"
- April 1: Dr. Kate Sheehan, Frostburg State University, "Parasites and plastics in pelagic food webs"
- April 15: TBD
- Fall 2021 Presentations
- September 3: Dr. Jason Burkhead, University of Alaska Anchorage "Copper deviciency and toxicity in human liver disease"
- September 17: Dr. Mark Rains, University of South Florida "Groundwater Subsidies to Salmonid Streams: A Decade+ of Collaborative Science and Outcomes in Alaska"
- October 15: Dr. Julie Maresca, University of Delaware "Hard Microbiology: Polyextremophilic microbes in concrete"
- November 5: Dr. Mecky Pohlschroder, University of Pennsylvania "What bioinfomatics and big data have revealed about Archaea"
- November 19: Dr. Dan Ruthruaff, USGS "TBA"
- Spring 2021 Presentations
- March 25: Dr. Erin Larson, Alaska Pacific University "Danger in the Mountains: Disturbance Effects on Biodiversity in Tropical and Temperate Montane Streams"
- March 5: Dr. Sarah Gerken, University of Alaska Anchorage "Antarctic Cumacea"
- Fall 2020 Presentations
- October 30: Dr. Kathleen Scott, University of South Florida "Surprising diversity in dissolved inorganic carbon uptake by bacteria"
- November 6: Dr. Eric Bortz, UAA Biological Sciences "Update on the pathogenesis and spread of COVID-19 in Alaska: from genomics to vaccines"
- November 13: Dr. Cecilia Martinez Gomez, UC Berkley "Thriving with lanthanides: New life metals in methylotrophy"
- November 20: Dr. Kirsten Grond, UAA Biological Sciences "The ins and outs of the avian gut microbiome: Why birds matter"
- December 4: Meg Howard "Chasing Coronaviruses 2002-2020"
Lecture titles are linked to video recordings of the presentation.
Location & Directions
Subscribe to the Biological Sciences Seminars mailing list.