Biological Sciences Seminar Series
The Department of Biological Sciences hosts an active program of biological sciences seminars. Seminars are held in-person in CPISB 120 on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of each month at 2:00 pm. Our seminar series are free and open to the public.
Academic Year 2023-2024
September 22nd: Jason Burkhead (UAA Biological Sciences), “Sex, drugs and metal: intersections in health and disease”
October 13th: Dr. Parisa Lotfi, “Peering into the brains of the second most intelligent creature on Earth”
October 27th: Dr. Grace Leu Burke, UAA School of Allied Health, "Public health environmental exposure risk to multi-drug resistant bacteria isolated from urban wildlife: What is in your backyard?"
November 10th: Multiple short presentations by Biological Sciences graduate students
November 24th: No seminar, Fall break
December 8th: TBD
- AY 2022-2023 Presentations
October 14th: Dr. Veronica Padula, Plastic pollution and one health: Perspectives from the Bering Sea
October 28th: Dr. Wendy Puryear, Seals, seabirds, and influenza: A tale of two coasts, shifting ecosystems, and viral spillover
November 11th: TBD
December 9th: Dr. Tanya Cheeke, Evolution and ecology of plant-fungal interactions
February 10th: Dr. Brandon Briggs, Bi-Polar Microbiology: Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs on the Ice
Feb 24th: Christian Lang, Virus spillover evidence in African wildlife - Seek, and ye shall find!
March 10th: Gino Graziano, Control of invasive plants at high latitudes using persistent herbicides
March 24th: Courtney Kurtz (title TBA)
April 14th: Dr. Morag Clinton, Understanding compounding environmental stressors & infectious challenges in negative fish health outcomes
April 28th: Mario Muscarella (title TBA)
- Spring 2022 Presentations
- January 21: Dr. Garfield Kwan, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, "How Ocean Acidification Promotes Otolith Biomineralization in Teleost Fish"
- February 4: Ariel Pezner, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, "Coral Reef Hypoxia: Projections Under Warming and Impacts on Coral Growth"
- February 18: Dr. Carl Roland, National Park Service, "The intersection of chance and design – monitoring vegetation over space and time in central Alaska’s parklands"
- March 4: Dr. Doug Causey, University of Alaska Anchorage, "The dynamics of waterfowl populations and subsistence hunting in the Yukon-Kuskokwim delta"
- March 18: Dr. Barbara Wortham, UC Berkley, "How is photorespiration recorded in trees? Lessons from the Los Angeles Basin, CA"
- April 1: Dr. Kate Sheehan, Frostburg State University, "Parasites and plastics in pelagic food webs"
- April 15: TBD
- Fall 2021 Presentations
- September 3: Dr. Jason Burkhead, University of Alaska Anchorage "Copper deviciency and toxicity in human liver disease"
- September 17: Dr. Mark Rains, University of South Florida "Groundwater Subsidies to Salmonid Streams: A Decade+ of Collaborative Science and Outcomes in Alaska"
- October 15: Dr. Julie Maresca, University of Delaware "Hard Microbiology: Polyextremophilic microbes in concrete"
- November 5: Dr. Mecky Pohlschroder, University of Pennsylvania "What bioinfomatics and big data have revealed about Archaea"
- November 19: Dr. Dan Ruthruaff, USGS "TBA"
- Spring 2021 Presentations
- March 25: Dr. Erin Larson, Alaska Pacific University "Danger in the Mountains: Disturbance Effects on Biodiversity in Tropical and Temperate Montane Streams"
- March 5: Dr. Sarah Gerken, University of Alaska Anchorage "Antarctic Cumacea"
- Fall 2020 Presentations
- October 30: Dr. Kathleen Scott, University of South Florida "Surprising diversity in dissolved inorganic carbon uptake by bacteria"
- November 6: Dr. Eric Bortz, UAA Biological Sciences "Update on the pathogenesis and spread of COVID-19 in Alaska: from genomics to vaccines"
- November 13: Dr. Cecilia Martinez Gomez, UC Berkley "Thriving with lanthanides: New life metals in methylotrophy"
- November 20: Dr. Kirsten Grond, UAA Biological Sciences "The ins and outs of the avian gut microbiome: Why birds matter"
- December 4: Meg Howard "Chasing Coronaviruses 2002-2020"