Visit the UA coronavirus information website to learn how the University of Alaska is responding to the novel coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and find links to communications, policy guidance and resources.
Christopher Jung, Ph.D.Assistant Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
- Ph.D., Integrative Physiology and Neuroscience, University of Colorado, Boulder 2009
- Dissertation Title: The Effects of Sleep Deprivation and Circadian Phase on Energy Expenditure
- M.S., Integrative Physiology, University of Colorado, Boulder 2007
- B.A., Kinesiology and Applied Physiology, Cum Laude Honors, University of Colorado, Boulder 2003
Research InterestsMy research focuses on furthering our understanding of the physiology of sleep and the internal biological clock. Specifically, by getting a better understanding of how the sleep and circadian processes interact to affect the underlying physiology (e.g. metabolism, endocrine function) and behavior (e.g. cognition), we can improve public health and safety and develop and apply countermeasures and preventative measures to minimize the effects of sleep disorders (e.g. hypoxia, apneic events), sleep deprivation (e.g. insufficient sleep) and circadian misalignment (e.g., shift work sleep disorder, jet lag, seasonal affective disorder, sustained work operations and living at extreme latitudes) and maximize sleep quality and well-being. My research also focuses on studying preventative measures to the effects of high altitude on physiology, sleep and cognition.
- Jung CM, Khalsa SBS, Scheer FA, Cajochen C, Lockley SW, Czeisler CA, Wright KP Jr. Acute Effects of Bright Light Exposure on Cortisol Levels. Journal of Biological Rhythms. 2010. 25(3); 208-16.
- Jung CM, Ronda JM, Czeisler CA, Wright KP Jr. Comparison of Sustained Attention Assessed by Auditory and Visual Psychomotor Vigilance Tasks (PVT) Prior to and During Sleep Deprivation. Journal of Sleep Research. 2011. 20(2); 348-55.
- Jung CM, Melanson EL, Frydendall EJ, Perreault L, Eckel RH, Wright KP Jr. Energy Expenditure During Sleep, Sleep Deprivation and Following Sleep Deprivation in Adult Humans. Journal of Physiology. 2011. 589(1); 235-44.
Career History/Work Experience
- Young Investigator Basic Research Award, National Sleep Foundation and Sleep Research Society 2008
- Abstract Excellence Award, Sleep Research Society 2008
- Sleep Deprivation Section Award, American Academy of Sleep Medicine 2008