Clinical Psychology M.S.
Explore the clinical psychology master’s degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageCulturally sensitive and community-focused, UAA’s Master of Science in clinical psychology program addresses the behavioral and mental healthcare needs of Alaska, including the needs of Alaska Native and other minority groups.
Clinical psychology scholarships and financial aid
You may qualify and apply for graduate assistantships and program scholarships such as the Chris Kleinke Scholarship and the Dr. Jon Baker Memorial Scholarship. Teaching and research assistantships may be available in exchange for your work with a faculty member.
Professional licensure in Alaska
UAA’s graduate program in clinical psychology provides a 48-credit hour master’s degree that is consistent with state licensing as a Licensed Psychological Associate (LPA), which requires 48 graduate credit hours, or Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), which requires 60 graduate credit hours.
Student advising and support
Choose a faculty advisor who fits your interests to provide mentorship throughout the program. A clinical training coordinator and committee, as well as an internship supervisor, are available to connect you with additional academic and training opportunities.
Graduate student organizations and activities
Represent your classmates on a psychology graduate program committee, or join faculty mentors who are actively involved in community engagement and social justice. At UAA, you have a variety of opportunities to lead and serve in the campus and Anchorage communities.
Did you know..
The clinical psychology master’s program at UAA explores contemporary issues in psychology to address changing local behavioral and mental health needs. For example, the program is developing a course pathway that meets requirements to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst for additional career opportunities in Alaska.
What can you do with a clinical psychology degree from UAA?Begin your professional practice or pursue a doctoral degree. UAA’s Master of Science degree in clinical psychology prepares you to work in the clinical field as a master’s-level practitioner in a community agency or private practice or further specialize in a psychology-related field with a Ph.D. or Psy.D.
By the numbers..
Clinical psychology master’s degree program highlightsHighly personal and hands-on, the UAA master’s degree in clinical psychology offers intensive training and guidance to develop practitioner-scientists for master’s-level clinical practice or further doctoral studies.
- Work with licensed clinicians to gain experience and practice skills in therapy and assessment. You’ll have three semesters of supervised clinical training: a one-semester practicum in the UAA Psychological Services Center and two semesters in a behavioral health or health psychology internship in a community clinic or agency.
- Complete a master’s thesis or independent research study with faculty guidance. Many master’s students in clinical psychology conduct graduate research to develop specialized knowledge and skills in research and evaluation, contribute meaningful work to the field or prepare for doctoral degree programs.
- Learn from and work with experts in a variety of clinical and research areas. All program faculty are doctoral-level licensed mental health clinicians. Learn more about their research areas and clinical specialties.
- Practice applying your clinical skills in classrooms and labs. You’ll gain access to a dedicated psychology lab, computer lab classroom and clinical simulation lab with live actors and recording technology. At the beginning of your training, interacting with trained actors in a simulation lab allows you to see what you’re doing and get constructive feedback from faculty members, peers and actor-clients in an environment that allows you to grow.
Clinical psychology master’s degree program curriculumGain a holistic education in clinical psychology while fulfilling state licensure requirements. Coursework, practica and internships combine to develop your skills in assessment, diagnosis, treatment planning and psychotherapy, applied research and scientific writing.
Top classes for clinical psychology graduate students
- Multicultural Psychopathology
- Community-Based Intervention Skills
- Cultural Issues in Psychotherapy