Explore the philosophy bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageSupporting freedom of inquiry, integrity in study and the pursuit of knowledge, UAA’s Bachelor of Arts in philosophy degree program prepares you to critically examine and adapt to a changing world as a responsible global citizen.
Student advising and support for philosophy majors
Online classes and video conferencing
Honors in philosophy
Student clubs and activities
Did you know..
The annual Alaska Ethics Bowl is a regional tournament for undergraduate students to test their reasoning, critical thinking and advocacy skills. You can join other philosophy majors who train with a faculty member and team up to compete for a chance to go to Nationals.
What can you do with a philosophy degree from UAA?
With a Bachelor of Arts in philosophy degree from the University of Alaska Anchorage,
you will be prepared to contribute to any field, from natural and social sciences
to art and technology.
Philosophy graduate programs
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Business Administration
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Master of Education
- Justice and law
- Government, business and public policy
- Religion and theology
Philosophy major jobs
- Social worker
- Nonprofit executive director
- Government official or public administrator
- Business owner
- Political scientist
By the numbers..
Philosophy bachelor’s degree program highlights
Apply the knowledge and skills you learn while earning your bachelor’s in philosophy degree from the University of Alaska Anchorage. These experiences will help you think critically and create place-based solutions for safe, just, sustainable and healthy communities across Alaska and the world.
- Engage in public discourse and community activities. As a philosophy major, you can join faculty members who lead public discussions that address significant issues and conflicts in Alaska and beyond.
- Conduct impactful, community-based research. Work independently or join faculty research projects. The UAA philosophy department is making significant discoveries and achievements in food and environmental ethics, legal ethics, reasoned public debate, local professional ethics and disaster ethics.
- Learn from and conduct research with highly accomplished faculty. Program faculty, including a new faculty in residence, are internationally and nationally recognized for their grant awards and publications. Their specialties include student-centered teaching in a range of topics, such as professional ethics, philosophy of law, environmental and food ethics, the ethical treatment of animals, biomedical ethics, disaster ethics and public deliberation.
- Attend talks, panel discussions and special events. You’ll be invited to participate in discussions on current dilemmas and controversies in a variety of topics such as theology, emotions and ethics. For example, attend the Bioethics Lecture Series, which brings together medical professionals from hospitals across Anchorage to discuss pressing issues in health care.
Philosophy bachelor’s degree program curriculum
With a commitment to ethics in practice and an emphasis on challenging intellect,
the philosophy degree program at UAA will develop your ability to understand a variety
of perspectives on any issue. Learn and apply knowledge and skills in critical thinking,
verbal reasoning, writing and persuasive communication, all of which are essential
skills for any philosophy job.
You may be interested in pairing your philosophy major with a related discipline, such as psychology, English, languages or history, to enhance the value of your bachelor’s degree and increase your career opportunities.
Top classes for philosophy majors
- Mind and Machines
- Philosophy of Law
- Ethics, Community and Society
- Special Topics seminars on Philosophy of Science, Time and Identity, single philosophers like David Hume and more
- Ancient and Medieval Philosophy