Psychology B.A. or B.S.
Explore the psychology bachelor’s degree program at the University of Alaska AnchorageFeaturing flexible program options and valuable undergraduate research opportunities, the University of Alaska Anchorage psychology program prepares students to earn a bachelor’s degree, apply for graduate school and launch a successful career.
Online pathway for psychology degree programs
Alaska Native Community Advancement in Psychology (ANCAP)
Behavior analysis concentration
Behavior analysis is a natural science that explores how both biology and environment influence behavior. In this optional concentration, you can study human and nonhuman behavior and explore ways to address socially significant issues such as health promotion, substance abuse treatment, education, animal training, employee performance and workplace safety and the intensive treatment of intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum disorders. The coursework is verified by the Association for Behavior Analysis International and prepares students for professional certification as Board Certified Assistant Behavior Analysts.
Did you know..
The Department of Psychology at the University of Alaska Anchorage is the state’s largest center for the scientific study of behavior and mental processes.
What can you do with a psychology degree from UAA?
Conduct research, consult with clients or work with patients in clinical, private
practice and school settings. In the psychology bachelor’s degree program at UAA,
you will develop a strong and diverse skill set to prepare for graduate study in social
or health sciences or entry-level jobs in the field.
Psychology graduate programs
- M.S. in clinical psychology
- Graduate certificate in children’s mental health
- Ph.D. in clinical-community psychology
Work in various human services, social services, education, research or technology jobs such as these:
- Alcohol, Drug and Wellness Educator
- Behavioral Health Emergency Services Clinician
- Chemical Dependency Counselor
- Mental Health Technician
- Oncology Genetic Counselor
- Protective Services Specialist
- Youth Co-occurring Disorder Specialist
By the numbers..
Psychology bachelor’s degree program highlights
Emphasizing practical job skills, UAA’s undergraduate degree program in psychology focuses on research methodology, statistical and quantitative reasoning, behavior analysis and communication.
- Participate in experimental science. Housed in the Natural Sciences Building, UAA’s psychology department features a live animal lab with rats. Work with faculty to conduct safe and humane animal research related to current community and global issues, from age-related cognitive decline and binge drinking to weight gain and obesity.
- Collaborate with award-winning faculty who are recognized nationally and globally for excellence in teaching and research. Their focus areas include refugee and immigrant resilience, ethnic minorities, acculturations, gender and sexuality, linguistics and autism. Through instruction, mentorship and advising, faculty will help you find and focus your interests.
- Learn, present and network at the Behavioral Sciences Conference of the North. Co-hosted by the Psychology Club and Psi Chi, this annual student-led research conference features presentations by nationally recognized speakers.
- Make a difference in the community. Many faculty members incorporate service learning in their courses, offering opportunities for you to contribute to the field while helping people. For example, you can volunteer or consult with community partners, including local nonprofit human service organizations, group homes and in-patient treatment facilities.
- Benefit from the College of Arts and Sciences. As part of the largest academic unit on campus, the bachelor’s in psychology degree program has access to partnerships with the Anchorage School District, Providence Hospital and other departments at UAA.
Amazing stories from psychology majors
I continually rely on my UAA education for everything. The quality education I received from the professors at UAA was amazing. It was simply the best program I have ever attended, and I'm a proud UAA alumna.
Psychology bachelor’s degree program curriculum
Which undergraduate psychology program is best for you?
Here are the main differences in UAA’s psychology undergraduate degree programs:
- General education requirements: The Bachelor of Arts in psychology — which can be completed entirely online or on campus — focuses on arts and humanities, including culture and social behavior, while the Bachelor of Science in psychology focuses on math and science, including the natural and social sciences.
- Career pathway: If you want to get into graduate school in a psychology or medical field, such as behavioral neuroscience or genetic counseling, the B.S. degree may help prepare you to finish the graduate program faster.
Top classes for psychology majors
- Train a live animal in the hands-on Psychology of Learning Lab.
- Get your first taste of research in Research Methods in Psychology Lab.
- Learn Statistics for Psychology to develop practical job skills.
- Put everything you’ve learned together in the integrative History of Psychology course.
- Gain hands-on experience in the field through the Practicum in Psychology capstone course, required for the behavior analysis concentration, optional for other psychology majors.
- Complete the Senior Thesis capstone as part of the requirements to graduate with departmental honors in psychology.