Before you arrive in Anchorage you will want to plan for:

Housing Options

UAA students have the option of living On-Campus or living in the local community.

On-Campus Housing

The University of Alaska Anchorage has three residence halls and two apartment communities.

It offers students the US college experience and it helps students become more involved in the university atmosphere. 

From clubs and organizations, to activities and general resident life, campus housing is by far the best way to get the most out of your time at UAA. 

First-year international students are highly encouraged to live on-campus, as it gives them the best way to experience the US college lifestyle. 

Because it is such a great benefit, campus housing is very popular. Students wanting to live on campus should plan to apply early.

You may find out more about campus housing and apply by visiting the University Housing website.

Off-Campus Housing

Anchorage has a limited amount of apartments, townhouses and condos for rent. 

Please beware, however, as UAA does not have any affiliation with local rental agencies and does not inspect properties, or recommend any off-campus site. 

Anchorage is a large municipality with over 290,000 people. 

Before making any arrangements for off-campus housing, please research the area for safety and convenience.

The Department of Student Union and Commuter Student Services is located at the Student Union on campus and provides services to students that do not live on campus. 



Registering for Courses

Students register for classes on UAOnline.

International students must be registered for a full course of study during the fall and spring semesters:

  • Undergraduate Students-12 credit hours
  • Graduate Students-9 credit hours

Online Courses: Only 3 credits or one online course per semester will apply toward the full-time enrollment total.Class Schedule: Students can find the Class Listing through UAOnline.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is not mandatory, but students are encouraged to utilize advising and are responsible for seeking advising. 

  • When seeing your advisor, please bring identification.
  • For a list of advising contacts and for more information, visit the Advising webpage
  • You may also find your advisor by viewing Degree Works, which can be accessed your UAOnline account.


Health Insurance

All international students at UAA are required to carry health insurance.
  • Proof of this insurance needs to be submitted to the International Student Services (ISS) Office by the add/drop deadline of each semester (second week after classes begin).
  • This proof must be submitted in English and must be received in person or via email by the deadline date.
  • Failure to provide coverage information to ISS will result in the student not being able to register for the next semester.

Insurance may be purchased from any company as long as it meets the requirements specified below:

  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per person per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible of no more than $500 per accident or illness

It is recommended that students buy insurance for the entire year (August to August). Students who will continue their studies at UAA in the fall should be insured for the summer, even if they do not plan to be in the United States or take courses during the summer.

Students who are on post completion practical training must extend their coverage until they leave the US.

Health care in the US is extremely expensive; therefore it is necessary to choose a comprehensive policy that covers usual and customary fees in the United States.

Students who are accompanied by dependent spouses or children must purchase coverage for them that fulfills the requirements above.


Information on University selected insurance plans for international students may be found on our Student Health Service's Insurance page.

Students may choose another eligible provider, such as ISOA and VISIT, if students provide proof of coverage by an alternate policy that meets the minimum required coverage amounts.