You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
UAA Fall 2020 semester COVID-19 update
by UAA Incident Management Team |
With the start of the fall semester upon us, the UAA Incident Management Team (IMT) wishes to reiterate the processes and procedures in place to safeguard the well-being of our community from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. As you are likely aware, we have implemented a number of measures and support resources to help prevent the transmission of the virus and comply with guidance, recommendations and mandates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and our state and local governments.
A COVID-19 training developed specifically for the university community will be shared next week. The training contains useful information about COVID-19, how the disease spreads and how you can protect yourself and others. Watch for information about how to access the course in Blackboard. Employees and students are encouraged to take the training.
Health and safety measures
We have implemented the following proactive measures to protect the health and safety of our campus community:
- Transitioned nearly 80% of courses at the Anchorage campus and community campuses to alternate delivery methods
- Designated computer labs on campus to facilitate distance learning
- Closed buildings or placed them under restricted access while continuing to clean active public areas, offices, restrooms and classrooms daily
- Implemented a policy requiring the use of a mask or face covering in UAA facilities
- Sanctioned employees to work from home with exceptions only for those deemed necessary to facilitate essential university business
- Reduced the residential community to 25% capacity with single occupancy housing only
- Introduced a two-step COVID testing policy for residential students moving onto campus
- Canceled all campus events until further notice, including fall athletic competition
We will not send universitywide communications each time there is a confirmed case of COVID-19 within our community. However, risk management staff, in conjunction with public health officials, will conduct contact tracing investigations and follow up with anyone who may be at risk. We ask that you cooperate with these investigations to the greatest extent possible while respecting the privacy of those involved.
Confirmed COVID-19 cases in UAA facilities
IMT has developed a running list of confirmed instances of COVID-19 in UAA facilities along with exposure risk dates and timelines. The list is posted to the UAA COVID-19 response website.
- The UAA Student Health and Counseling Center remains open at this time to serve UAA students. Call ahead at 907-786-4050 to schedule an appointment if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, cough or shortness of breath. Employees should contact their health care provider if they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms to determine if they should be tested. The UA health plan covers COVID-19 testing. Review the employee FAQs for more information.
- Students should consult the College During COVID website to access support resources and learn more about navigating the coming months. For more detailed information about UA and UAA operations, policies and procedures, visit the COVID-19 information site.
- For information about COVID-19 symptoms and current health recommendations, visit the CDC or Alaska Department of Health and Social Services websites.
IMT will continue to monitor this situation and consult with state and local health authorities to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information.
We appreciate your continued resiliency and look forward to a great semester.
UAA Incident Management Team