You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
UAA Financial Aid
Welcome to UAA!
Whether you attend our Anchorage, Kenai Peninsula, Matanuska-Susitna, Kodiak or Prince William Sound campus, you’re in the right place to explore the many scholarship, grant, loan, and work-study options available that help make paying for college in ALASKA AFFORDABLE.
We're here to help!
Many students and families are facing challenging and uncertain times and we hope you will reach out to us if you need any financial aid support or advice. It is our goal to assist you in a timely manner and to the best extent possible by providing accurate information so you can make informed decisions about your college funding options. Thank you for choosing UAA, we appreciate your trust in our team.
Read the latest news...
Open to Walk-in Traffic
Good news! The UAA Financial Aid Office is open to walk-in traffic in the Enrollment Services Center in the Student Union Bldg. You DO NOT NEED an appointment to come in and speak with a member of the UAA Financial Aid Team. Current UAA mandates require everyone in the building to wear a mask but there are other ways to connect with our team if you do not wish to wear one at this time. Your questions are important to us!
Federal COVID Student Relief Funding
UAA has received federal funds intended to support financially needy students during the COVID pandemic from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF) legislation under the CARES Act, the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSA), and most recently, the American Rescue Plan (ARP).
Awards given out from this funding program are intended to help with expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus, including cost of attendance, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care.
Loan Comparison Tool Available!
UAA has a new loan comparison tool so you can more easily find the right private loan to help you pay for college. Alternative Educational Loans (ALT), also known as private educational loans, consist of any student loan that is not a federal student loan. ALT loans offer additional financial assistance to students and families.
- U.S. Citizens and Eligible Non-citizens: Alternative loans should ONLY be considered after applying for federal financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- International Students and Non-citizens (not eligible to complete the FAFSA): may be eligible to borrow private, alternative loans.
Get Help Quickly
Where is My Financial Aid Money?
Send Private Scholarships & Education Savings Plan Money to UAA
How Can I Contact the Financial Aid Office?
UAA Financial Aid is permitted to apply awarded aid to student accounts 10 days before the start of a semester after verifying that a student is in an eligible admission, enrollment, and satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status.
There are three (3) student account statuses you might see in UAOnline:
- A CREDIT BALANCE EXISTS: This looks like a negative sign in front of a $ dollar amount on your UAOnline account. Once you see a negative balance, this means that UAA Office of the Bursar is preparing to issue you a refund within 7-10 days. If a negative balance exists for longer than 10 business days, you may contact the UAA Office of the Bursar directly: email@example.com
- NO CREDIT BALANCE EXISTS: After financial aid awards have been applied to your tuition and fee charges, if you do not see a negative balance, this could mean that you do not have enough financial aid to cover all of your costs. You will need to either apply for a UAA Payment Plan or use personal funds to cover your remaining balance before the payment deadline has passed. If you see financial aid in UAOnline that has not been released yet, you should contact us for an explanation.
- NO AWARDED FINANCIAL AID HAS BEEN APPLIED: You may still have outstanding tasks to complete before you are eligible, such as admissions, enrollment, or SAP requirements. It is critical for you to regularly check your student account balance and ask us when you have questions or concerns. An account in good standing has many benefits, such as the privilege to charge textbooks and avoid late fees. SAVVY SEAWOLVES have accounts in good standing!
Private donor scholarship checks received from non-UAA sources should be mailed to UAA's Office of the Bursar. These checks, once received, will be visible on your UAOnline>Financial Aid Overview but they will not be posted to your student account and applied to your charges earlier than 10 business days prior to the first day of the semester. Due to the manual processing nature of these awards, please allow 10 business days from the date the funds are received by UAA for posting to the student account. Processing times may vary with volume during peak periods. Dropping or withdrawing from courses after your scholarship has been posted to your student account may require funds to be returned to the donor, creating a balance due to UAA on your student account.
Mailing Address: University of Alaska Anchorage, Attention: Office of the Bursar, P.O. Box 141609, Anchorage, AK 99514
Please refer to UAA's Student Accounts and Refunds page for important student and private donor instructions. Find helpful answers to common questions under the "Private Donor Scholarships" heading.
ALASKA529 Education Savings Plan: The Alaska529 Education Savings Plan is an IRS “529” plan, which means it’s a tax-advantaged way to put aside money for higher education tuition and other education-related expenses. The quickest way to request a distribution is over the phone by calling 1-800-478-0003. Additionally, you may request distributions online through the Alaska529 portal. For more information and instructions on how to enroll or receive a beneficiary distribution, visit Alaska529 Education Savings Plan website. Similar 529 education savings plans will have similar procedures. We recommend contacting your servicer directly for more information, refer to your online account, or account summary statements for further guidance.
The UAA Office of Financial Aid is currently open to walk-in traffic. Current mandates required everyone in the building to wear a mask due to statewide and local measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). If you do not wish to wear a mask there are other options to connect with our staff to have all of your questions answered. For those of you would would like to visit our office, it is located in the Enrollment Services Center (formerly the Bookstore) on the UAA main campus.
- You DO NOT NEED an appointment to come in and speak with a member of the UAA Financial Aid Team. If you prefer to meet in an online Zoom session, please use our Online Booking Tool to secure an appointment. If your time is limited, we recommend online appointments especially if you have internet or cellular access at home. Participants do not need special software to meet with us online, a Zoom link and passcode will be sent to you via email, along with emailed and SMS text reminders. You are welcome to call, email, or use the Direct Message fields below to ask for an appointment if the Online Booking Tool does not have a date/time you are available.
The Office of Financial Aid website has comprehensive information to help you understand and make better informed decisions about funding your education goals. If you cannot find what you're looking for quickly, please reach out to us by phone or email, we'd be happy to help. Your questions are important to our team!
BY DIRECT MESSAGE TO OUR EMAIL INBOX:
BY PHONE - Office of Financial Aid Call Center:
UAOnline contains "live" information relevant to your financial aid offers and student account status. Consider logging into UAOnline before calling so Financial Aid staff can help explain what you see on your own student account.
Regular Hours: Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, except for Wednesday 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Phone Number: 907-786-1480, Option 4
Before sending any documents in the mail, look on the UAOnline account >Financial Aid< "Financial Aid Status" to make sure UAA has requested this information. Some listed requirements are online forms that allow document attachments instead of waiting for mail processing. Find instructions on how to use online forms on the "VERIFY Your Financial Aid Status" tab.
- Mailing Address: Office of Financial Aid, 3211 Providence Drive, ESC, Anchorage, AK 99508
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax Number: 907-786-6122
IN-PERSON OR ONLINE CONSULTATIONS:
- Regular Hours: Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, Enrollment Services Center 2901 Spirit Way, Anchorage, AK 99508
- You DO NOT NEED an appointment to speak with a member of the UAA Financial Aid Team in-person or on the telephone. If you are interested in making a longer appointment, please use our ONLINE BOOKING TOOL to sign up for an online Zoom consultation. We recommend online appointments if you have internet access at home and your availability is limited.
UAA is currently open to the public for those following the mask mandate. Our office is located in the Enrollment Services Center in the Student Union Building. Please note, parking is not free, however there is a convenient payment kiosk available in each parking lot, as well as an online parking payment portal, Passport Parking.