The purpose of the Michael Baring-Gould Memorial Scholarship is to offer financial assistance for tuition and other educational expenses to full-time students who are formally admitted into an undergraduate social sciences program or enrolled in an interdisciplinary masters program which includes sociology as one of the disciplines.
Award amount is a minimum of $500 per academic year
- Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 for undergraduate and 3.0 for graduate.
- Applicant must be formally admitted into an undergraduate Social Sciences major (e.g. Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, Justice, Social Work, Anthropology, etc.) or an Interdisciplinary Masters degree-seeking program that includes sociology as one of the disciplines at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- Undergraduate applicants must have completed at least thirty (30) credits.
- Applicant must have completed at least six (6) credits prior to the semester of the award at the University of Alaska Anchorage.
- Applicant must plan on enrolling full time (twelve (12) credits for undergraduate and nine (9) credits for graduate) at the University of Alaska Anchorage the semester the award is granted.
- Applicant must demonstrate involvement in a project or area of study which reflects a commitment to social justice, peace, equality, and/or empowerment of minorities. Such involvement may include, but is not restricted to, any of the following:
- Community or campus organizing (e.g. leading or forming a campus or community organization).
- Public education or advocacy (e.g. leading or coordinating a special project, conference, educational campaign, or public policy effort).
- Research (e.g. working on an independent project or with a faculty member or community group).
To apply for this scholarship, please log in to UAOnline and complete the electronic scholarship application.
*In order to qualify for this scholarship please submit the additional information below to supplement the online application.
Required Supplemental Information:
- Applicant must submit two (2) letters of recommendation (at least one letter must be from a UAA faculty member). Letters of recommendation must be mailed (or dropped off) to the UAA Office of Student Financial Assistance by the deadline (not postmarked by the deadline). Please submit letters in a sealed envelope addressed as follows:
UAA Office of Student Financial Assistance
ATTN: Michael Baring-Gould Scholarship
PO Box 141608
Anchorage, AK 99514-1608
UAA at the University Center
ATTN:Michael Baring-Gould Scholarship
3901 Old Seward
Anchorage, AK 99503
- Applicant must submit an essay (250 words) describing the student's involvement in a project or area of study which reflects a commitment to social justice, peace, equality, and/or empowerment of minorities. Please type essay into text box below.