UA Scholars Award
The UA Scholars Award is a $12,000 scholarship awarded to Alaska high school students who are in the top 10% of their class at the end of their junior year as determined by their school.
The UA Scholars Award may be used at any University of Alaska campus and is distributed in the amount of $1,500 per semester for eight semesters, provided the Scholar remains eligible.
How do I know if I am a UA Scholar?
The UA Scholars Program will notify you between May 1 and October 1, after you’ve completed your junior year.
Secure Your UA Scholars Award
Apply as a UA Scholar and reserve your award
- As a UA Scholar, your application to UAA, UAF or UAS is free.
- You must apply to the UA campus of your choice by its published application deadline for the fall semester following your senior year of high school. The UAA application deadline is August 15.
- Once you’ve applied and been admitted to a UA school, your UA Scholar award is reserved for you.
- You may postpone your admission and the use of your UA Scholar award for up to two semesters.
Benefits as a UA Scholar
Beyond the potential $12,000 in scholarship award, UA Scholars can take advantage of these other benefits at UAA:
Meet with a UAA Admissions Counselor
Enrollment Services Center
Have questions about the UA Scholars process or UAA?
Grace and the UAA Admissions team are here to help!
UA Scholars Info Sessions
Learn more about how to access your UA Scholars Award, take a tour of campus, and find out if UAA is a good fit for you!
UA Scholars Award Recognition Event
Held each fall at various locations around the state, this recognition event is a night to celebrate your achievements in earning a UA Scholars Award. The UA Scholars Class of 2025 recognition events will be held in Fall 2024 and you will be invited closer to that time.
Explore the UAA campus and learn more about the many programs and opportunities UAA offers.
Once you've applied and are in the process of being admitted, check out your next steps in getting ready for UAA.
- How do I postpone/defer my UA Scholars Award?
If you would like to postpone using your UA Scholars Award for the fall semester immediately following your high school graduation, you must notify your campus admissions office that you intend to defer enrollment.
You may only defer enrollment for two semesters after your high school enrollment. If you miss more than two semesters of enrollment after your high school graduation, your UA Scholars Award will expire.
- Does my UA Scholars Award work in conjunction with the Alaska Performance Scholarship?
Yes. However, in some cases the amount of the Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) award may be reduced. The APS amount may not exceed an award recipient's unmet costs of attendance after all other non-loan aid a recipient is eligible for has been applied.The sum of all other aid for which a student is eligible (including your UA Scholars Award) will be deducted from the cost of attendance before the APS is applied. Visit ACPE's Alaska Performance Scholarship website for more information.
Does the award expire?
Yes, the UA Scholars Award expires under any of the following conditions:
- You miss more than two semesters of enrollment after your high school graduation.
- You have been paid the entire amount of the Award.
- You fail to uphold the obligations of the ‘Scholar Requirements’ as stated in the UA Scholars Program Information Booklet.
- How do I continue to receive my UA Scholars Award for the full amount of the award?
How do I use my awards on a qualified exchange or study abroad program?
If you would like use your UA Scholars Award on a qualified exchange or study abroad program, be sure to work with study abroad or national student exchange coordinator to make sure all eligibility requirements are still being met while on exchange or abroad.
- Can I use the award during the summer term?
Yes, you can begin using your award during a summer term but you must be enrolled in at least 12 credits. Contact Financial Aid if you plan on using your award.
Refer to the UA Scholars Program website for detailed information about the award. In particular, check out the UA Scholars Program Information Booklet and extensive FAQ section.