UA Scholars at UAA
Discover why UAA is a great choice to take advantage of your UA Scholars Award. Explore academic programs, schedule a Green and Gold Visit, discover campus life, and read on to learn about the exclusive UAA housing scholarship for UA Scholars and talk with an Admissions Counselor.
UA Scholars Award
The UA Scholars Award is a $12,000 scholarship awarded to Alaska high school students who are in the top 10% of their class at the end of their junior year as determined by their school. The Award may be used at any University of Alaska campus and is distributed in the amount of $1,500 per semester for eight semesters provided the Scholar remains eligible.
The scholarships are funded by the University of Alaska Land Grant Trust Fund. The endowment receives revenue from property sales and resource development conducted on Trust lands.
UAA Housing Scholarship for UA Scholars
UAA is pleased to offer UA Scholars a $1,500* per year housing scholarship. Living on campus means being a part of the Honors & UA Scholars Living Learning Community (LLC). Along with becoming engaged with peers and meeting new friends, there are also opportunities to participate in LLC social, service-oriented, and academic events. Faculty from the University Honors Program and Residence Life staff work together to make this community a fun and scholarly place to live and learn.
The amount per semester is $750 and the full scholarship is renewable for four years, up to $6,000 total. Students must maintain UA Scholars award eligibility to be eligible for the housing scholarship. Students are not eligible for the scholarship any semester in which they are on disciplinary probation. Students are required to live in a residence hall their first year, but can opt for other on-campus housing options after the first year.
Virtual Office Hours
Mondays from 4:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. AK Time
Office hours are via Zoom
Zoom Link: https://alaska.zoom.us/j/88944385683
- Is there a separate application for the housing scholarship?
No, there is not a separate scholarship application. However, students must meet UA Scholars application deadlines, be degree-seeking students and must apply for Housing separately from the application.
- What is the Award amount and terms?
The UA Scholars Award is a four-year, $12,000 scholarship to Alaska high school students who are in the top 10% of their class which is determined by their school. The award may be used at any campus in the University of Alaska system. Recipients will receive $1,500 per semester for eight semesters, as long as they maintain eligibility. The UA Scholars Award is not tied to the cost of tuition.
- Is the UA Scholars Award a full-ride scholarship?
It is not a full-ride scholarship; however, the award foes a long way toward the cost of an education at the University of Alaska. Each semester you attend UAA, you receive $1,500 to help cover your educational expenses.
- Is there a deadline to apply for the scholarship?
Yes. You must apply for admission by May 1st of your senior year in high school to the UA campus of your choice. If you do not apply for admission by the deadline, you award will expire.
- Can I apply for admission online?
Yes. You can complete your admission application online. Learn How to Apply.
- Does the Award expire?
The Award expires under any of the following conditions:
- You miss more than two semesters of enrollment after your high school graduation
- You have been paid the entire amount of the Award
- You fail to uphold the obligations of the ‘Scholar Requirements’ as stated in the Program Information Booklet
- What must I do to maintain good academic standing?
In order to maintain good academic standing and remain eligible for the UA Scholars Award, a Scholar must:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Maintain full-time enrollment status (12 or more credits) during each fall and spring semester
- Complete 24 credits during the first academic year; and
- Complete 30 credits each academic year thereafter until the Award has concluded
- Make satisfactory academic progress toward completion of a certificate or degree program
- Meet the UA Student Code of Conduct (Board of Regents policy 09.02.02 and University Regulation 09.02.020)
- Can I take a semester off after I've started attending the University?
You can take up to two regular semesters off after you have begun attending the University and still receive your UA Scholar Award. If you are gone for three or more consecutive semesters without an approved extended leave of absence, your Award will expire.
- How is my Award paid to me?
Your Award will be posted to your student account at the University you are attending once you have been accepted into a degree program and are enrolled as a full time student. If you have met all requirements for the Award, your scholarship normally posts to your student account approximately one week before courses begin for the semester.
- Is New Student Orientation mandatory?
Yes. According to the University of Alaska Scholars Program Information Booklet, scholars must contact their campus of choice for orientation requirements. At the University of Alaska Anchorage, we require our incoming freshmen Scholars to participate in New Student Orientation. Your first days at UAA set the tone for your entire college career so we want to make sure your first experiences are welcoming, fun, and productive through our orientation program called, “HOWL Days.” Sign up with Orientation or call 907-786-1224.
- What if I have other funds?
If you have funding from the UA College Savings Plan, Alaska Performance Scholarship (or another college savings program), additional scholarship(s) or financial aid, you may be reimbursed for overpayment if you have met your obligations to the University for the semester. However, the Scholars Award may impact certain financial aid and additional scholarships by reducing the amount awarded, including loans and the Alaska Performance Scholarship.
- Can I use my award on a qualified exchange program?
- Can I use the Award during the summer term?
Yes. You can begin using your Award during a summer term, but you must be enrolled in at least 12 credits. Contact Financial Aid if you plan on using your award.
- Does my UA Scholar Award work in conjunction with the Alaska Performance Scholarship?
Yes. However, in some cases the amount of the Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) award may be reduced. The APS amount may not exceed an award recipient's unmet costs of attendance after all other non-loan aid a recipient is eligible for has been applied.
The sum of all other aid for which a student is eligible (including your UA Scholars Award) will be deducted from the cost of attendance before the APS is applied. Visit ACPE's Alaska Performance Scholarship website for more information.