Seong Dae Kim, Ph.D., PMP
Office: UC 157
||Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas|
Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering (degree conferred 2009)
Dissertation title: “The Tradeoff between Investments in Infrastructure and Forecasting in the face of Natural Disaster Risk”
||Sungkyunkwan University, Korea (South)|
M.S. in Industrial Engineering (degree conferred 2002)
Thesis title: “A Study on the Application of TRIZ to the Areas of Management Science - With Regard to Inventory Control and Queuing Models”
||Sungkyunkwan University, Korea (South)|
B.S. in Industrial Engineering (degree conferred 1999)
Spring 2015-present, Total Quality Management (ESM A623)
Fall 2015, Introduction to Engineering (ENGR A151)
Fall 2013-present, Operations Research (ESM A621)
Spring 2013-present, Project Management Application Tools (PM A653)
Fall 2012-present, Project Definition and Research Methods (PM A652)
Fall 2012-present, Final Project/Thesis (ESM A684/699)
Fall 2011-2015, Capstone Project: Initiation and Planning (PM A686A)
Spring 2012-2015, Capstone Project, Executing, Controlling and Closing (PM A686B)
Fall 2010-2011 Project Risk Management (PM A624)
Spring 2010-2012, Project Quality Management (PM A616)
|PI, "Professional Training for Oil and Gas Process Lifecycle Planning, Risk Reduction, Optimization and Safety," Alaska Oil and Gas Occupations Training Grant by State of Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, award amount: $40,000|
PI, “Prioritization of future Freight Infrastructure Projects within the Anchorage Metropolitan Area Transportation Solutions (AMATS),” research project sponsored by Municipality of Anchorage.
||Student Technician II, Decision & risk analysis on investment decision associated with hurricane evacuation, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel.|
||Student Technician II, Probability assessment and verification on sports gambling, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel.|
||Research Assistant, “Value of information from 4D seismic technology for oil/gas exploration” sponsored by Schlumberger, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel, Develop economic module to estimate the value of information.|
||Student Technician II, Probability assessment and verification on weather forecast, supervised by Dr. J. Eric Bickel.|
||Research Assistant, “Fee-Based Service for National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors (NAW)” supervised by Dr. Ben Zoghi in the Department of Engineering Technology & Industrial Distribution, Texas A&M University, Develop a model for developing and pricing new services for NAW members.|
||Research Assistant, “Elk Customer Service Survey” supervised by Dr. Ben Zoghi in the Department of Engineering Technology & Industrial Distribution, Texas A&M University, Documentation and analysis of the survey to Elk's distributors nation-wide.|
||Research Assistant, “Reconstruction of Demand Forecasting and Inventory Control System for Automobile Spare Parts” sponsored by HyunDai MOBIS (former HyunDai Precision Industry Company), Korea (South), Generate ideas for various alternative inventory control systems, conduct simulation of the alternatives, and analyze the result.|
- Decision & Risk Analysis
- Oil & gas exploration
- Sports betting market
- Verification of forecast information
- Emergency (esp. natural disaster) management
- Creativity and creative problem solving techniques
- TRIZ (Theory of Inventive Problem Solving)
- Sowmini Sengupta, Jisun Kim, and Seong Dae Kim (2015),
Applying TRIZ and Bass model to forecast fitness tracking devices technology, Proceedings
of PICMET 2015, Portland, Oregon, August 2-6, pp. 2177-2186.
- Seong Dae Kim (2014), Characterization of unknown unknowns
using separation principles in case study on Deepwater Horizon oil spill, Journal
of Risk Research, DOI: 10.1080/13669877.2014.983949.
- Seong Dae Kim (2014), Book Review: “Cox,
Jr., Louis Anthony. 2012. Improving Risk Analysis. Springer. 412 pp.”,
Interfaces, Vol. 44, Issue 6, November-December, Accepted for
- J. Eric Bickel and Seong Dae Kim (2014), Reexamining the
efficiency of the Major League Baseball over-under betting market, Applied
Financial Economics, Vol. 24, No. 18, pp. 1229-1234, DOI:
- Seong Dae Kim, Robert K. Hammond, and J. Eric Bickel (2014),
Improved mean and variance estimating formulas for PERT analyses, IEEE
Transactions on Engineering Management, Vol. 61, No. 2, May 2014.
- Seong Dae Kim (2012), Characterizing unknown unknowns,
Proceedings of PMI Global Congress 2012-North America.
- J. Eric Bickel, Eric Floehr, and Seong Dae Kim (2011), “Comparing NWS PoP Forecasts to Third-Party Providers,” Monthly Weather Review, Volume 139, Issue 10 (October 2011), pp. 3304-3321.
- Seong Dae Kim, Teresa Brewer, Gary Kretchik, Donghwoon Kwon, Harrison Yeo, and Kelly Brown (2011), Prioritization of Future Freight Infrastructure Projects within the Anchorage Metropolitan Area Transportation solutions (AMATS), Proceedings of 13th TRB National Transportation Planning Applications Conference, Reno, Nevada, May 8-12, 2011, Available at http://trb-appcon.org/program.html#s8.
- Seong Dae Kim and J. Eric Bickel (2010), “Roads or Radar: The Tradeoff Between Investments in Infrastructure and Forecasting When Facing Hurricane Risk,” IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 4, Issue 3, pp. 363-375.
- J. Eric Bickel, Eric Floehr, and Seong Dae Kim (2010), “Comparing NWS POP Forecasts to Third-Party Providers,” Proceedings of 20th Conference on Probability and Statistics in the Atmospheric Sciences, The 90th American Meteorological society Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, January 18, 2010. (https://ams.confex.com/ams/90annual/techprogram/session_23848.htm).
- J. Eric Bickel and Seong Dae Kim (2008), “Verification of The Weather Channel Probability of Precipitation Forecasts”, Monthly Weather Review, Vol. 136, Issue 12, December 2008. Featured in New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2009/02/how-good-are-the-weather-chann.html).
- Seong Dae Kim* and J. Eric Bickel (2008), “Roads or Radar: Investing in Infrastructure or Improved Forecasting in the Face of Tropical Cyclone Risk,” Proceedings of the 28th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, AMS Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, April 30, 2008.
- J. Eric Bickel* and Seong Dae Kim (2008), “Verification of The Weather Channel Probability of Precipitation Forecasts,” Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Probability and Statistics, 88th AMS Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, January 23, 2008.
- Seong Dae Kim* and J. Eric Bickel (2007), “Roads or Radar: Investing in Infrastructure or Improved Forecasting in the Face of Hurricane Risk,” Proceedings of the 44th Annual Technical Meeting of the Society of Engineering Science, College Station, TX, October 23, 2007.