Nov. 14: 'Are You Ready? Emergency Energy' workshop
by Michelle Saport |
Monday, Nov. 14 One-hour presentation starts at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. 1840 Bragaw Street, Suite 100 (Chugachmiut Tribal Consortium Building)
What if you have to leave your house in the next five minutes because of an earthquake, volcanic eruption, tsunami, flood or approaching wildfire? Do you have these crucial items to help protect your home and family?
- A one-week emergency kit ready to go with adequate first-aid, clothing, water and food provisions for everyone in the family
- Fuel and implements to provide heat for cooking, lighting and staying warm
- Ways to cover, stabilize and protect your shelter and vehicles
This workshop may save you hours of heartache if you are faced with a natural disaster.
- Compact, efficient cooking and heating options powered by different types of fuel, including propane, white gas and wood;
- Rocket stoves, which are easy to make, extremely efficient and fueled by local wood; and
- What foods to eat when the power is out and you have a refrigerator or freezer that's defrosting.
For more information, call Art Nash, Extension Energy Specialist, at (907) 474-6366 or visit uaf.edu/ces.