Anchorage Arctic Research Day is March 24, 2017
by Michelle Saport |
Join UAA and the Arctic Research Consortium of the U.S. (ARCUS) for the first Anchorage Arctic Research Day on Friday, March 24 in UAA's Rasmuson Hall. The event will bring together the rich Arctic research community in Anchorage to share information about the diversity of research and creative activity, as well as foster new connections and collaborations. Come meet with participants from government, industry, academic, nonprofit and indigenous groups, and hear about Arctic research happening across all disciplines.
Highlights of the day include a keynote address by Fran Ulmer, chair of the Arctic Research Commission of the United States, and a discussion of the recently released Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC) Arctic Research Plan.
The all-day event will also feature a poster reception highlighting research and creative activity conducted by participants from throughout the Anchorage Arctic research community. All attendees are invited to showcase their work at the poster reception (space permitting). Please indicate on the registration form if you are interested in sharing a poster.
Register at the Arctic Research Consortium of the U.S. website. For more information, please contact Diane Hirshberg at email@example.com or Jennifer Zolkos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Agenda (speakers will continue to be added as confirmed):
8:30-9 a.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Lobby Coffee and sign-in
9-9:15 a.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Welcome remarks, featuring:
- UAA Chancellor Tom Case
- Mayor of Anchorage Ethan Berkowitz
- ARCUS Executive Director Robert Rich
9:20-9:40 a.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Keynote address by Fran Ulmer
9:45-10:45 a.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 UAA Arctic research in the social sciences and humanities panel discussion, featuring:
- Diane Hirshberg, Education policy and economics
- Matt Berman, Economics
- Jordan Lewis, Medical education
- Mediea Csoba DeHass, Alaska Native studies and anthropology
- Marie Lowe, ISER and anthropology
- Nelta Edwards, Sociology
- Toby Widdicombe, English
11 a.m.-noon | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Interagency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC) Arctic Research Plan discussion, led by Martin Jeffries
Noon-1:15 p.m. Lunch on your own. Bring a brown bag or visit a nearby Seawolf Dining location.
1:15-2:30 p.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Community agency presentations, featuring:
- Carolina Behe - Inuit Circumpolar Council (ICC) Alaska
- Betsy Baker - North Pacific Research Board
- Jim Gamble - Aleut International Association
- John Pearce - Changing Arctic Ecosystems Initiative (U.S. Geological Survey Alaska Science Center)
- Aron Crowell - Smithsonian Arctic Studies Center at the Anchorage Museum
- Thomas Hennessy - Arctic Human Health Experts Group (Arctic Council) and Arctic Investigations Program (U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Wendy Loya - Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (Arctic Council) and Arctic Landscape Conservation Cooperative (U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service)
- Molly McCammon - Alaska Ocean Observing System
2:40-3 p.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Arctic Domain Awareness Center presentation, featuring Randy Kee and Doug Causey
3-3:20 p.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Opportunities with the Arctic Research Consortium of the U.S.
3:30-4:30 p.m. | Rasmuson Hall, Room 117 Panel discussion: UAA Arctic research in natural sciences and engineering, featuring:
- Audrey Taylor, Environmental studies
- Jeff Welker, Biological sciences
- Tom Ravens, Engineering
- Jamie Trammell, Environmental studies
- Paddy Sullivan, Biology
- Jess Grunblatt, Environmental studies
4:30-6 p.m. Rasmuson Hall, Lobby Reception and poster exhibit