You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Free women's self-defense class - Nov. 10, 2018
by Michelle Saport |
The Dating Violence and Sexual Assault Coalition for Change is teaming up with Legacy Jiu Jitsu to provide everyday necessities to clients of AWAIC (Abused Women's Aid in Crisis) and offer a free Women's Self-Defense class this Saturday, Nov. 10, 11 a.m. at Legacy Jiu Jitsu West (401 W. International Boulevard).
AWAIC serves hundreds of men, women and children every year who are in need of a variety of items and we are asking the community to come together to support the voices that have been silenced by abuse. We are asking you to donate new or gently used items to the cause by dropping them off at one of the donation bins located around the UAA campus and the bin that will be available Saturday, Nov. 10 at the Legacy West location when attending the Women's Self-Defense Class with free admission.
We are looking to collect:
- Personal hygiene items: Bath towels, deodorant, unused hair elastics, new/unopened ibuprofen/vitamins**, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.
- Clothing of all women's sizes: New underwear, new socks, comfortable footwear, slippers, elastic waist pants, robes, t-shirts, etc.
- Miscellaneous items: Used cellphones**, cotton/canvas laundry bags, travel mugs, gum, blankets, spiral wrist keychains, hand sanitizer
- Kid's items: Bubbles, coloring books, toys, small stuffed animals, kid's toothpaste & toothbrushes, kids gummy multivitamins**, candy, snacks, kids socks, kids shampoo/body wash, card games
**There will be a separate donation bin for these items.
We are asking you, as a UAA community member, to donate new or gently used items to the cause by dropping them off at one of the donation bins located around campus. We ask that donated items be in good and usable condition. Donate items at the Nov. 10 Women's Self-Defense class or in bins on the UAA campus. Bins will be available at the following locations now through Nov. 14:
- Administrative/Humanities Building - Second floor, Admin Suite
- UAA/APU Consortium Library - Across from the main circulation desk
- Rasmuson Hall - Outside the Multicultural Center
- Eugene Short Hall - Bottom of the main stairwell
- University Lake Building - Inside the main entrance