Police training May 18; planned IT services outage May 22
by Bill Jacob, Interim Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services |
Dear UAA Community,
As we prepare for the summer 2021 academic session, I want to draw your attention to two important events that will affect online services and access to certain parts of campus.
Planned outages of IT services
UAF Facilities Services will be conducting a planned power shutdown to the entire Butrovich Building to prepare for the integration of a new backup generator for the Butrovich Data Center. This planned shutdown means UA enterprise data systems served out of the data center will be offline and unavailable during the following timeframes:
- Saturday, May 15: 00:01 a.m.-11 p.m. (~23hrs)
- Saturday, May 22: 00:01 a.m.-10 p.m. (~17hrs)
How will this impact you? Many services will be unavailable during the planned outages. Please see the post Planned outage for UA services scheduled for May for the complete list. Some of the most widely used services are noted below.
- UAOnline and Banner 8 and 9:
- Users will not be able to log in
- Enrollment (add/drop) will be unavailable
- ELMO: Self-service password resets will be unavailable
- UAA Bookstore: Orders will not be able to be processed
- WolfCards: New cards will not be able to be issued in the library; cards will not work for dining services, on-campus purchases or at managed print stations.
- Blackboard: Unaffected — Blackboard log-in and availability for coursework will remain functional
Questions or concerns? Please contact IT Services Technical Support Center at 907-786-4646 or email@example.com.
Police training exercise
UAA will partner with local law enforcement departments to facilitate a police training drill that will restrict some vehicle traffic on the east side of the Anchorage campus. UAA is pleased to host this exercise to improve interagency emergency readiness.
- Tuesday, May 18: While this is just a training exercise, it is designed to simulate real emergency situations such as armed aggressors and car bomb scenarios. As a result, there will be a significant presence of uniformed officers, tactical vehicles and exercise personnel on campus throughout the day.
The campus community should be aware of the impact on UAA facilities and vehicle traffic but should not be alarmed by the increased presence of uniformed officials in the area.
Closures May 18: East Campus Central parking lot, Pedestrian Spine between NSB and SSB, Alumni Drive between UAA Drive and the UAA/APU Consortium Library parking lot. East parking lot. Please note the Central Parking Garage will be closed May 17 and 19 for additional training. See post Police training to impact East Campus May 18 for more information.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
Interim Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services