Register by Aug. 8 to make a difference as a Seawolf Mentor
by Green & Gold News |
Your Alumni Relations team is excited to announce our new partnership with the UAA Office of Student Success: the Seawolf Mentor Program.
Have there been moments in your life when you’ve leaned on someone for advice or assistance? Whether that person was a professor, friend, family member or coach, the importance of mentors is undeniable. Mentors help guide, direct and shape your present situation and afford you future opportunities for the better.
We would like to invite you to join the Seawolf Mentor Program, an opportunity to provide the same inspirational guidance that you received to our next class of Seawolf Nation. As an alumni mentor, you can provide a positive influence to help shape a student’s future.
Seawolf Mentor matches students with alumni like you to serve as mentors, sharing your similar experiences and first-hand knowledge of navigating college life and, specifically, what it’s like to learn at UAA. You can also provide valuable career advice or answer questions about graduate school and post-graduate training and certification in your field.
Here’s how Seawolf Mentorship works:
- Minimal time commitment:
- The mentorship program runs through the spring 2022 semester, ending in May. However, our hope is that you establish a relationship with your mentee(s) that will keep you connected after the program formally ends.
- At a minimum, we ask you to connect with your mentee(s) twice a month, a total of 8-10 times throughout the semester. Of course, you’re more than welcome to connect more!
- Matching process:
- Students (UAA sophomores, juniors and seniors) will complete a survey about their background and their career interests.
- Our platform:
- Mentor Collective matches students and mentors based on major, career or other characteristics the student indicates are important to them.
- When do we start?
- Mentee sign-up begins on Aug. 21, 2021.
- Mentor registration closes on Aug. 8, 2021.
- Once matched, you and your mentee will have an opportunity to decide the most convenient way to connect. We encourage email, phone, video chat and text. As our campus continues to safely open up, our hope is that someday soon you can also meet in person.
Being a mentor is more important now than ever. Adjusting to a new, hybrid educational environment comes with a learning curve, and we’ve seen that mentors make a difference. Mentors provide a space for UAA undergraduate students to discuss their experiences at school and beyond, as well as connect them with resources that build resilience. I strongly encourage you to become a mentor and make a difference in the success of a UAA student.
If you are curious how mentors have helped mentees, check out this video from mentees on how this experience has made an impact in their lives.
Once you have registered, Mentor Collective will email you more detailed program information. If you have any questions you can follow up directly with Mentor Collective at email@example.com.
We hope you will join our Seawolf Mentor team and make a difference in a student’s life. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Alumni Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this, or any other Alumni Relations engagement opportunities.