- What kind of Ph.D. program does UAA offer?The Ph.D. Program integrates clinical and community psychology and focuses on rural, indigenous, and cultural psychology with an applied emphasis. The program uniquely combines the spirit of clinical and community psychology. As such, it places strong emphasis on non-traditional service delivery and social action, as well as clinical service delivery to individuals, groups, families, and communities.
- Can I get training in clinical psychology?
Clinical psychology is one of the focus areas of the Ph.D. Program. As such all graduates will have the requisite knowledge and foundation to become licensed clinical psychologists.
- Can I get training in community psychology?
Community psychology is another focus area of the Ph.D. Program and as such all graduates will have the requisite knowledge and foundation to become community psychologists.
- Is the Ph.D. program only looking for applicants who want to live in rural Alaska?
The Ph.D. program is looking for applicants who are interested in serving the needs of the State of Alaska, which includes not only the major hub areas of the state but also the rural communities of the state. Applicants from out of state, who demonstrate their commitment to rural and indigenous psychology are also encouraged to apply.
- Does the program train one-on-one psychotherapists?
The program is designed to meet the current psychologist licensure requirements in Alaska, however, the program is not designed to train one-on-one therapists. While the program does train one-on-one psychotherapists, the primary mission and aims of the program are to train students to be skilled in rural clinical-community practice; the program leads to license eligibility as a psychologist.
- What is the deadline for Ph.D. applications?
Complete applications, including letter of intent, references, vitae, transcripts, criminal background check, must be received by January 15 to be considered for entrance in August of the following year.
- Can I be accepted in the spring semester for the Ph.D. Program?
No, the program admits students only once a year, to begin in the fall semester.
- Will my application be considered if it is submitted after the deadline?
No, the program does not consider applications received after the deadline.
- How many applications are received by your program? Of those, how many are recommended
for admission to the Ph.D. Program?
The program receives about 50 applications each year. Of those no more than five (5) will be admitted.
- What is the application fee?
- Is the GRE Subject test required?
No, submitting GRE scores is at the discretion of the applicant. Generally students submit GRE scores when their GPA is right at the 3.0 level.
- How may I apply to your program?
All applicants must apply for admission by visiting https://www.uaa.alaska.edu/admissions/.
In addition to applying for admission to UAA, applicants must also submit:
- Original Transcripts
- Letter of Intent
- Professional Vita
- Reference Rating Form and Letter of Support from THREE Referees
- Disclosure Form & Criminal Background Check
- Does the program offer pre-doctoral internships?