Information for Campus Partners and Student Organizations
Residence Life Solicitation and Posting Policy
The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines and standards for posting information, in the Commons and residential areas of campus, to the students, faculty, and staff of the University.
This policy does not pertain to departmental bulletin boards or to departmental posters and announcements posted within the respective department’s building, to union or maintenance bulletin boards, or to posters and announcements pertaining to residence hall sponsored activities posted by staff in their respective halls and communities. Students, faculty, and staff may advertise events in association with the University provided that materials include the following:
- The name of the recognized campus organization or department
- University-identifying logo of a registered UAA student organization or UAA department/unit
- Contact information
- Institution-approved non-discrimination statement
For more information, please visit UAA Anchorage Campus Posting Rules and Procedures.
Posting is permitted on public-use bulletin boards in the Gorsuch Commons. Prior approval by a Residence Life professional staff member is required before materials may be posted. All approved postings will receive the Residence Life approval stamp, which will include a date that the material is permitted to be posted and the date that it will need to come down. Postings must be removed no later than 48 hours following the scheduled event.
Postings on furniture, such as tables or desks, must be approved by the Building Manager or designee for that facility.
Advertisements not following these guidelines will be removed and discarded, and all advertisements will be removed two weeks from the approved posting date.
Solicitation and Prohibited Postings
The following activities are prohibited:
- Conducting a private enterprise, whether legal or illegal, including operating a private business using a university address or property of any kind.
- Promotion and/or advertisement of a private enterprise or event.
- Door-to-door solicitation within the residence halls or apartment complexes or in public areas without prior written authorization from Residence Life representatives.
- Postings on window glass areas and painted surfaces in the Commons.
- Postings in the Commons, residence hall, and apartment areas that promote the use of alcoholic beverages or other drugs.
- Handbills, leaflets, pamphlets, or other similar materials may not be placed on vehicles or other UAA property such as building exteriors, doors, elevators, painted surfaces, bathrooms, stairwells, landscaping, benches, bus stops, emergency call boxes, sidewalks, floors, poles, railings, or other unauthorized areas.
- Postings that use obscene or offensive language or illustrations, or are insensitive to social concerns such as sexism, racism, and gender identity.