Before Moving In
Things to do Once your Application is Approved
Check Your Preferred Email
The Department of Residence Life will communicate with you primarily through your preferred email. Please take a moment to check your UAOnline account to make sure your preferred email is set to an email address you regularly check.
If you have applied for housing and haven't seen any confirmation emails, check your spam filter and be sure that emails from Residence Life are not marked as spam. You can also add Residence Life (firstname.lastname@example.org) to your contacts list to be sure that you're receiving emails from our office.
To check which email address is your preferred email on UAOnline, follow these steps:
- Log in to UAOnline
- Select "Personal Information" from the tabs at the top
- Select "Manage Your Address, Email and Phone Information"
- Check your Student Preferred Email and make changes if necessary
Submit Immunization Records
All students living on campus are required to provide documentation of immunizations to the Student Health and Counseling Center (SHCC). Submitting your immunization records early, prior to check-in day, will make your check-in smooth and easy.
- Meningococcal Vaccine (required for students under 21 and highly recommended for students 21 and older)
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)--2 doses
- Tetanus-Diphtheria--within 10 years
- Tuberculosis (TB) test with a negative result within six months prior to initial move-in
- COVID-19 Vaccine - beginning in the fall of 2021
Students who would like to live with a specific person will be able to request and connect with roommates through their UAA Residence Life Self-Service page on UAOnline. In order to be eligible to make roommate requests, students must first have applied for student housing and received a confirmation that their application has been processed.
Roommate request periods are open during specific times for upcoming semesters, and students who have applied for housing will receive additional information via email about the dates they are eligible to request roommates.
Please note that since room assignments for new students entering in the spring semester are dependent on spaces made available by mid-year cancellations, roommate requests for spring can only be accommodated if space allows. Students who would like to make a roommate request for the spring semester should email Residence Life (online roommate requests are not available for the spring semester).
Decide What to Bring to Campus
- What to Bring
- Towels/wash cloths
- Personal toiletries, including toilet paper!
- Bedding--sheets (twin long), blankets, pillow
- Laundry bag or basket plus detergent
- Iron & ironing board
- Mini-fridge, microwave or coffee maker (kitchen appliance with an open heat source such as toasters are not allowed - see the section below about what not to bring).
- Cleaning supplies for your bathroom and room (including a vacuum)
- Photos, personal items, or wall decor to make you feel at home
- Winter clothes, coat, hat, gloves, & boots
- An umbrella or raincoat (water-resistant footwear is also a good idea)
- School or office supplies
- Computer or laptop. Note: UAA Residential Campus has Wi-fi access in all building. To utilize the internet capabilities in your room, you'll need a Wi-fi compatible device.
- Other personal items such as a bike or stereo.
MAC and Templewood residents will also need:
- Pots & pans
- Cooking utensils
- Dishes and silverware
- What NOT to Bring
- Candles, incense or anything with an open flame
- Halogen or Octopus lamps
- Personal satellite dishes
- Illegal drugs, alcohol or hookahs
- Darts and dartboards
- Non-university air conditioners, space heaters, ceiling fans and other large appliances, including washers/dryers or full-sized refrigerators
- Fish tanks over 10 gallons
- Cooking appliances with an open heat source in the residence halls (toaster or toaster ovens, sandwich presses or grills)
- Important Considerations
- Each suite/apartment contains basic furniture:
- Bedrooms: twin extra-long bed, three-drawer dresser, desk and chair
- Living Rooms (quad suites and apartments): couches, chairs coffee table
- Kitchens (MAC apartments and Templewood townhomes): refrigerator, oven/stove, table and chairs (note: microwaves are not provided)
- Limited storage space prohibits the removal of existing furniture. Keep this in mind if you plan to bring any personal furniture.
- The residential community provides a gun safe for weapons storage. Personal possession of firearms is prohibited.
- Pets (except fish in a 10-gallon or less tank) are not allowed in the residential community.
- Each suite/apartment contains basic furniture:
- Order Bedding
If you're looking for extra long sheets or other items for your room, visit the Our Campus Market UAA Page. A portion of the profits from sales of these items go to benefit leadership and engagement opportunities in the UAA's residential community.
If shipping items to campus, be sure not to order items too early. The Commons Help Desk & Mailroom cannot accept shipments for incoming fall students before August 14, 2021.
Things to do in the Weeks before Check-in Day
Select a Meal Plan
Meal Plan selection will be available on UAOnline once room assignments for the upcoming semester are finalized. Students will receive information via email when they are eligible to select a plan.
Connect with Roommates
Fall assignments will be finalized over the summer and we'll email you towards the end of July when your assignment is ready to view on your Housing Page on UAOnline. Your roommates/suitemates and their email addresses will also be listed on your Housing Page, so you can touch base and decide who's going to bring a mini-fridge, microwave, etc.
Ship Things to your New Home
The Residence Life mailroom will accept mail starting August 14 for incoming student for the fall semester and January 5 for incoming students for the spring semester. To ship personal belongings to campus, please use the following address:
c/o UAA Residence Life Mailroom
3700 Sharon Gagnon Lane
Anchorage, AK 99508
Please be advised that packages or mail that arrives earlier than the dates above will be returned to sender.
Purchase a Parking Pass
If you’ll have a car on campus, you’ll need to purchase a parking pass to park anywhere on campus (including on residential campus). Housing Residents will need to purchase a Semester Housing Parking Permit each fall and spring semester. These permits are available for purchase from UAA Parking Services starting in July for the fall semester, or in January for the spring semester, and will allow the student to park in the residential campus lots as well as most lots and parking garages on campus. Summer residents will need to purchase a Summer Full Day Parking Permit which allows parking on most of the UAA campus. Note: it takes a few days for student application information to feed to the Parking Services computer system. Once your application has been confirmed, you'll be able to purchase a Housing Parking Permit. If you have received a confirmation email and still can't purchase a permit right away, please wait a few days and try again later.
Complete your Online Check-in Form
Before moving in, each student will need to complete an online Check-in Form. Students will receive an email when that form is available on their Housing Page on UAOnline. Be sure to complete it before coming to campus to check-in!