Departments of the College of Arts & Sciences
The College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) is the largest college in the University of Alaska system, serving over 8,500 students each semester. With 37 different degree programs, as well as master’s and Ph.D. programs, we take pride in the quality of our instruction and reputation as a learning community.
- Associate of Arts
The Associate of Arts (AA) degree provides a solid foundation in mathematics and written and oral communication, the natural and social sciences, the humanities, and the fine arts. The AA degree prepares students for career advancement and baccalaureate programs and to better understand their world.
Students graduating with an AA degree from UAA will be able to:
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences (individual, group, or public) using a variety of verbal and nonverbal communication strategies;
- Respond effectively to writing assignments using appropriate genres and standard written English;
- Use library and electronic research responsibly and appropriately;
- Identify, describe, and evaluate the aesthetic, historical, and philosophical aspects of material culture, including artistic expressions, language, and texts;
- Apply critical thinking skills to identify premises and conclusions of arguments, evaluate their soundness, and recognize common fallacies;
- Use appropriate mathematical language and symbols to develop and communicate solutions and demonstrate quantitative and analytical skills and knowledge;
- Articulate the fundamentals, developments, and impacts of one or more scientific disciplines and develop and analyze evidence-based conclusions about the natural and social world.
- Bachelor Degrees
UAA’s College of Arts and Sciences offers degrees in the following areas of study:Bachelor of ArtsBachelor of Fine ArtsBachelor of Music
Bachelor of Science
The College is dedicated to the enrichment of the undergraduate academic experience, from initial recruitment and admission, through graduation and beyond. Graduates will have had a sound liberal arts introduction to the major fields of human knowledge, helping to prepare them for a rewarding work-life experience.
Baccalaureate Degree Options
- Graduate Degrees
Committed to excellence and outstanding standards of scholarship, CAS offers its students a variety of options for graduate study. The College of Arts and Sciences awards advanced academic degrees in the following areas of study:Master of ArtsMaster of Fine Arts
Master of Science
Master's Programs are offered in:
UAA College of Arts and Sciences offers doctoral programs in two disciplines: